Maine Road or Etihad

Who remembers the social club at maine Road what a place that was went to a few good do there as well as having many a pre match drink I remember being very young about 16 and taking the future mrs barm and Helen talking to her and giving her opinions on how to treat and look after a man she was a great lady, always packed, don't think we will see anything like that again, as others have said we where lucky for pre match beers plenty of choice, used parkside the most.

My dad made me a member of the City social club within two hours of me being born at nearby St Mary's hospital.

City legend Roy Clarke used to look out for my dad and gave him my signed membership card.

Had a few birthday parties there but the most surreal thing was when I became a cub reporter and was sent to cover Swales at one particular AGM at the Social.

Roy Clarke came to find me and allowed me to use his office to file my copy over the telephone while all the other journos fought over a phone box outside the City Chippy!

Have to agree that the great Maine Road atmosphere can be a bit of a myth. Some games it was fantastic (Charlton, the 5:1 Maine Road massacre and Wigan play off semi ones I was at) Other times it could be totally dead or it was rocking and our boys in blue's ineptitude soon killed it!
Average age of City fans is a lot higher now which affects the atmosphere and perhaps a certain sense of 'camaraderie '
After some initial reservations have developed a real affinity towards The Etihad ( quality of football obviously has helped!)
One thing the Etihad can never match though is those outside toilets on The Kippax...that smell...stays with you for ever!

Meant to say 'Comaradarie' think that's right. Sounds a bit ageist my last post maybe but I'm no spring chicken anyway . In the days of Maine Road it was normally a load of beer in The Gardeners Arms in Victory Street (always laughed at the irony!)and then standing with 5 or 6 mates.
These days it's normally a pre match coffee with my teenage daughter(who I have to keep reminding 'it wasn't always like this).
Different times, different experiences but lots of good memories (and bad) of both.

I remember some kind of supporters vote around the time of the Commonwealth Games being awarded to Manchester, and I was definitely in the camp of staying at Maine Road.
Undeniably it had lost some of its swagger, but Maine Road had been part of my life since my first game against Chelsea in 70-71.
I could measure my whole life in certain fixtures, and I was 100% against the move.

Nowadays, I go for a piss in the away end at Goodison Park, (presumably all Everton fans were 4ft 11 when the stand was designed) and realise that my nostalgia was utter bollocks.
However, I should also point out that Everton is now my favourite away game, for all the pubs, and crappy burgers, and camaraderie that so many City fans remember from Maine Road.

I’m probably in a minority of old school City fans, as much as I loved Maine Road it had had its day and it was time to move on. The Etihad now has a wonderful history which we will remember forever. Furthermore the move accelerated us into the fast Lane. So for this old timer it’s the Etihad.

Maine Road, not even close. A better day out all round at Maine Road compared to the pretty soulless Etihad.
The soul is the people, by and large it’s the same people, probably we are just a few years older and a good deal more mellow

You will never beat the first time you ever saw the pitch be it Maine Road or the Etihad

That first time takes some beating and wherever that was will no doubt sway your decision.

Mine was Maine Road Boxing Day. Bell's comeback game. It was starting to get dark, floodlights were on. as an xmas treat my dad took me to my first game, sat in the Main Stand.

Walking up the steps and then seeing the pitch, the ground and the crowd as a 7 year old. That is one of only a few sights that are vivid in my memory.

So it is Maine Road for me just for that.

I ensured that both my kids saw a game at Maine Road, but we moved before they were an age to go regularly. Once at the new place season tickets were purchased and they both love the place.

ignoring the infrastructure, it's the average age of supporters that has climbed and climbed in step with the cost of actually attending that is the difference, imho.
The Kippax lost it's soul when the seats were installed (for me), was never the same after.
Time marches on, no-one is to blame, at least we have the memories of some epic experiences unique to Maine rd, just like the Etihad will add to the folk-lore surrounding the mighty blues....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.