Maine Road or Etihad

Sorry about the spelling.

Season ticket since 74, first went early 63/4, we were in the second division, with my Dad god bless, and my brother god bless, so believe me, you don't need to question me about being a City fan.

Apologies.

Probably more times than you. Season ticket holder for 50 years - you?
Alright mate,keep your wig on.
Do you really think the Etihad has a better atmosphere than being in the Kippax had ?
In reply to your question,off course you have,i have been going since 1968,not a ST holder every year.

Alright mate,keep your wig on.
Do you really think the Etihad has a better atmosphere than being in the Kippax had ?
In reply to your question,off course you have,i have been going since 1968,not a ST holder every year.

You didn’t have to quote me 4 times LOL.

Yes I do think the Etihad is better. The Kippax was great but we did have quiet games that people forget about because Maine Road is now remembered in a nostalgic way understandably. Mostly only the Kippax was vocal

There is more atmosphere around the ground at The Etihad with East Stand v South Stand & even the Family Stand joins in.

l love the size & spaciousness at the Etihad. Maine Road belongs in the sentimental but memorable past.

While I loved Maine Road, and the Kippax especially, I think for some people nostalgia has glossed over some of the bad times, the madness and sheer crookedness of Swales and the occasionally dismal atmospheres.
Its just like the Hacienda effect. That place was a half empty, freezing, dreary shithole just as often as it was a bouncing mass of sweaty delirium. Yet all anyone remembers now is footage of the packed dancefloor and everyone pilled off their heads.

Went to Maine road from the age of about 6/7 until I was 18. First few years can’t remember much, was with my Dad and his brothers and didn’t see a great deal.
By the time I was 12 I was allowed to go on my own with mates (haha! Fucking madness in this day and age to think a 12 year old could travel from Langley to Moss side without any adult supervision other than a load of pissed up blokes on the match bus!!) and the next 5/6 years were great.
Obviously the football wasn’t all that but the buzz of growing up on the kippax more than made up for it.
I moved abroad at 18 and the next time I went to watch us was at the Etihad after I’d moved back and whilst the stadium was much better there was something missing.
Over the next few years I grew to really enjoy the new stadium and the people in and around my seat we’re all sound so the match day experience became much better.
Hard to compare the two due to many different factors but overall I’d say I much prefer the Etihad.
I suspect each posters age will have a huge bearing on which is the best for them, which makes sense.

While I loved Maine Road, and the Kippax especially, I think for some people nostalgia has glossed over some of the bad times, the madness and sheer crookedness of Swales and the occasionally dismal atmospheres.
Its just like the Hacienda effect. That place was a half empty, freezing, dreary shithole just as often as it was a bouncing mass of sweaty delirium. Yet all anyone remembers now is footage of the packed dancefloor and everyone pilled off their heads.

Yeah I saw The Pogues there in the 80’s (85?) and it was half empty .... scruffy warehouse and he had a crate of booze on stage next to him ... pissed as fuck he was

I loved the Kippax and the atmosphere and I'm sorry young blues will,never get the chance to experience it in a big game. But let's face it old stadia were fucking shitholes built in the 20s or 30s when fans were plenty and owners didn't give a fuck about safety or hygiene. People reminisce about it but some twat pissing down the back of your leg when your packed in like sardines isn't nice they wernt lady friendly either. Football has moved on, not always for the better but I'd take the Etihad any day, however a standing section would be nice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.