Maine Road or Etihad

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but how do people think Maine Road would be nowadays if we’d chosen to redevelop the ground and stay where we were?

I’d like to think it would be exactly the same but I very much doubt it.

Football would still be the corporate beast it is today and working class fans would still be priced out of going every week.

You only need to look at Old Trafford if you want to see a stadium that isn’t fit for purpose and the corporate fan being put before the working class fan.

Just a thought and would be interested to see what others think...
Im sure i remember seeing plans early 90s for the kippax to have a similair roof to the main stand and platt lane roof to be similair to north stand. This may have been round the time of the Taylor report. Guess that particular plan ended when the new Platt Lane opened. Have heard that before Franny's takeover there was talk of seats being bolted on to the existing Kippax steps, which would have been terrible, if not surprising at that time. One thing I always liked about the old and new Kippax stands was the huge space at the back, plenty of space on a nice day for pre match or ht pint.

Im sure i remember seeing plans early 90s for the kippax to have a similair roof to the main stand and platt lane roof to be similair to north stand. This may have been round the time of the Taylor report. Guess that particular plan ended when the new Platt Lane opened. Have heard that before Franny's takeover there was talk of seats being bolted on to the existing Kippax steps, which would have been terrible, if not surprising at that time. One thing I always liked about the old and new Kippax stands was the huge space at the back, plenty of space on a nice day for pre match or ht pint.
Yep youre right. Kippax to match the maine stand, platt lane to match the north stand. Dont know what went on in swales brain after that.

then franny released plans for the other 3 stands to match the knew kippax which wouldve been ok. The rest is history

Just been watching a re run from 1996 of Wigan v bath on sky. Game was at Maine Road and have to say that once the kip pax and platt lane had been rebuilt and the corners removed it was a dogs breakfast of a stadium. Still miss it though.

Maine Road always had an incredible atmosphere & a raw football feel to it. The expectations was also very low! Lol we used to cheer corners like goals. Maine Road was always about the fans.

Etihad has had some special moments we could only dream of like aaggguuerrooo. It’s a great stadium too but much more about the money than fans.

I guess if you have experienced them both you have been a very lucky blue.

A lot of these posts are, inevitably, about what it was to be young and a City fan. I understand them, I identify with them. But strictly speaking, the Etihad is a proper, modern stadium with facilities befitting our era. Maine Road was, honestly, pretty grim (like most of Moss Side). We made it what it was. Oh, and the players, of course. And Big Mal. And Sir Joe…
For us older fans their is also the whole change of the culture, in both football and the country.
The rivalry between clubs / fans is nowhere near as fierce as it once was. Standing at Maine Road enabled a proper gathering of the singing section. All seated stadium has killed that atmosphere. The League Cup Semi earlier this year (United) had no atmosphere at all. Their was a better atmosphere at Maine Road for third round games against the likes of Northampton. I agree the facilities of the new ground are better, The stadium and campus are world class, and the comfort suits the older me. But the whole matchday experience was far better at Maine Road. I don’t think it’s necessarily just the grounds though, it’s the whole modern game and way.

Posted this before, was early 80's plans. Swales ran out of money after the Main Stand....

1605210399399.png

That is a beautiful photo. Not so much for the stadium, imo, but because of the massed ranks of houses around it. People lived there, and they lived in the shadow of its walls. That's what it shows. It feels homely. You just don't get that with modern stadia.
And another thing. I've always thought that the opening credits for Corrie look much more like us than they do that lot across the city, despite the fact that it's supposed to be based in Salford.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.