Making a Murderer

One of the best documentaries/series I've ever seen I think. Still not sure if he did it or not though either.

Not a great advert for the American criminal justice system, incredible what some of them got away with. Probably hundreds of other similar cases across the US every year.

The way the vote changed during deliberation suggests that 4 of them were never going to change their minds and the rest just wanted to go home and viewed him as dodgy trailer trash anyway. It's one of the drawbacks of the jury system, unfortunately.

No matter how many times you explain this concept of "not proven" the vast majority of people still think in simple terms of innocent or guilty. You only have to read the comments under newspaper articles to realise that this is true in the UK too. It's alarming how so few people seem to appreciate how the justice system is actually meant to work.

This is exactly why I prefer the system they have in Scotland where 3 verdicts can be arrived at - Guilty, Not Guilty, and Not Proven.

Going back to this case, despite the fact that Avery and Dassey clearly appear to have been stitched up a small part of me still thinks Avery might've done it (I'm pretty much convinced Dassey is entirely innocent). However, my gut feeling is that he is probably innocent and he has been framed. While there are some red flags about him and a few bits of "evidence" not mentioned in the series, there are far more red flags about the behaviour of the prosecution which, for me, tips it in the favour of him being innocent. While it seems totally far-fetched on the face of it that someone would go out and kill her just so that Avery could be framed, we have to remember that he was completely set up on the rape charge and as such I wouldn't put anything past certain people.

One of the best documentaries/series I've ever seen I think. Still not sure if he did it or not though either.

Not a great advert for the American criminal justice system, incredible what some of them got away with. Probably hundreds of other similar cases across the US every year.

Leaving aside how bent the trials of Avery and Dassey looked, it's still completely destroyed my trust in the American criminal justice system. The main reason for that is that the prosecutor can tell the whole world how he believes the accused committed the crime before the trial has even taken place. How the fuck can that be in any way considered fair? Far from innocent until proven guilty, it comes across as guilty until proven innocent. It's an utter disgrace.

This is exactly why I prefer the system they have in Scotland where 3 verdicts can be arrived at - Guilty, Not Guilty, and Not Proven.

Going back to this case, despite the fact that Avery and Dassey clearly appear to have been stitched up a small part of me still thinks Avery might've done it (I'm pretty much convinced Dassey is entirely innocent). However, my gut feeling is that he is probably innocent and he has been framed. While there are some red flags about him and a few bits of "evidence" not mentioned in the series, there are far more red flags about the behaviour of the prosecution which, for me, tips it in the favour of him being innocent. While it seems totally far-fetched on the face of it that someone would go out and kill her just so that Avery could be framed, we have to remember that he was completely set up on the rape charge and as such I wouldn't put anything past certain people.
Is it not the same in England? I was found not proven.although was innocent and was hoping for not guilty.spoke to one of the jury a year later(didn't know her but she recognised me) she said that only 2 thought I had done it but not proven was easier option.

Not sure either way if he he is guilty or innocent l,but there is more than enough evidence to cause reasonable doubt in the jury's mind so he should have been acquitted. To have 7 say not guilty,3 guilty and 2 undecided at the start and that to turn to 12 guilty shows a weak and cowardly jury. To condemn a man to a life behind bars due to being fed up,tired,wanting to go home or whatever it was is just immoral to say the very least.

Leaving aside how bent the trials of Avery and Dassey looked, it's still completely destroyed my trust in the American criminal justice system. The main reason for that is that the prosecutor can tell the whole world how he believes the accused committed the crime before the trial has even taken place. How the fuck can that be in any way considered fair? Far from innocent until proven guilty, it comes across as guilty until proven innocent. It's an utter disgrace.

Totally agree. Just absolute disbelief the whole way through the series on what is going on.

I'm addicted to watching all the murder mystery and cold case type programmes from the states, and it's a recurring theme. Another thing I've noticed is that the American juries seem to struggle with the idea of reasonable doubt and are very guilty happy. If you are unfortunate enough to end up caught up in their justice system you are big, big trouble from the off regardless of your actual guilt status.

Totally agree. Just absolute disbelief the whole way through the series on what is going on.

I'm addicted to watching all the murder mystery and cold case type programmes from the states, and it's a recurring theme. Another thing I've noticed is that the American juries seem to struggle with the idea of reasonable doubt and are very guilty happy. If you are unfortunate enough to end up caught up in their justice system you are big, big trouble from the off regardless of your actual guilt status.

Have you seen any you recommend similar to this documentary mate?

There are a number of people here who think the police are infallible. To them being accused is the same as being guilty and that's the problem. I also don't understand how the prosecution can go after somebody who is obviously handicapped like the nephew is. It seems to me that they only care about winning and what their stats look like. They're happy when they get convictions with long sentences regardless of whether the person is guilty or not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.