Man City V Wigan pre match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airbus said:
Doesn't matter who wins tomorrow's FA Cup games before us ... as long as the winner of Hull/Sunderland draws Arsenal and the winner of Sheffield/Charlton draws us ... and of course that we take care of Wigan ...

Would be funny as fuck if Arsenal lose their semi and we face Sunderland (again) or Hull in the final ... this looks like the most winnable of the three cups left right now, with Chelsea 9 ahead (albeit our three games in hand, but still they have the points already on the board) and their run-in is a lot easier than us ...

I actually think that right now us winning Premier League is as difficult as Champions League (after turning Barca over) ...

As good as our season looks right now, if it ends with just a League Cup ... and say Chelsea take the Premier League and Arsenal lift the FA Cup ... (and CL of course goes elsewhere to say Munich or Madrid) ... we will look a little idiotic, promised so much this season but delivered the smallest of the domestic pots ... and that won't even get us to kick-off the next season at Wembley ... that curtain-raiser will be Chelsea v Arsenal ... I know that's just the Community Shield but still it'll feel very weird those two competing for that and us with just the CapitalOne Cup ...

And yes as much as people had voiced in other threads that our season is already a success with the beautiful football we are playing or just the league cup alone will be successful, I think not ...

Come to think of it, Liverpool is already ahead of us in goals scored (in the league) and that amazing goal difference is now only 4 better than Liverpool's and 8 better than Chelsea's ... so no signs of all those goal records that were being talked about either ...

C'mon City ... let's thrash Wigan tomorrow, book another Wembley trip, and then go take care of those bitches in Spain ...
Whilst I agree with your sentiment about the FA Cup being the most winnable of the remaining trophies, I am as sure as hell not giving up on any of those other cups. As far as I am concerned we are better than Chelsea and we will finish above them - mind games, points in-hand mean jack-s*t to me, we have been in the doldrums too long to meekly plod on. Those bitches in Spain won't know what hit them!<br /><br />-- Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:27 am --<br /><br />
mammutly said:
117 M34 said:
The football feels like a side event for me, I'm looking forward to seeing Uwe too much.
Would like Uwe to do laps of honour for 90 minutes and just have a penalty shoot out at the end to decide it

Much though I like and admire Uve, I'd be more than happy to see Wigan suffer their worst ever defeat tomorrow. It's not personal, it's football.

Ideal scenario tomorrow - beat Wigan, celebrate Rosler!

"Uwe, Uwe Rosler!!" That chant brings back emotional memories.

Will an opposition manager ever get such a rousing reception as wigguns will tomorrow (later today)?

Balti said:
Will an opposition manager ever get such a rousing reception as wigguns will tomorrow (later today)?

never, Dalglish at Liverpool, Keegan at Newcastle were special but with Uwe it is something different, something more profound. It was not about being the biggest part of a golden era of success, it was about hero-seeking fans finding a player that during difficult times played his heart out for us, ran and ran, score important goals, showed great passion for us when others just played. The story then moved on to his fight against cancer when our love for him helped him through a difficult time. It does not get any better than that. The brilliant chant for him and the bombing old Trafford tee-shirt just add to the legend that is Uwe Rosler!

Balti said:
Airbus said:
Doesn't matter who wins tomorrow's FA Cup games before us ... as long as the winner of Hull/Sunderland draws Arsenal and the winner of Sheffield/Charlton draws us ... and of course that we take care of Wigan ...

Would be funny as fuck if Arsenal lose their semi and we face Sunderland (again) or Hull in the final ... this looks like the most winnable of the three cups left right now, with Chelsea 9 ahead (albeit our three games in hand, but still they have the points already on the board) and their run-in is a lot easier than us ...

I actually think that right now us winning Premier League is as difficult as Champions League (after turning Barca over) ...

As good as our season looks right now, if it ends with just a League Cup ... and say Chelsea take the Premier League and Arsenal lift the FA Cup ... (and CL of course goes elsewhere to say Munich or Madrid) ... we will look a little idiotic, promised so much this season but delivered the smallest of the domestic pots ... and that won't even get us to kick-off the next season at Wembley ... that curtain-raiser will be Chelsea v Arsenal ... I know that's just the Community Shield but still it'll feel very weird those two competing for that and us with just the CapitalOne Cup ...

And yes as much as people had voiced in other threads that our season is already a success with the beautiful football we are playing or just the league cup alone will be successful, I think not ...

Come to think of it, Liverpool is already ahead of us in goals scored (in the league) and that amazing goal difference is now only 4 better than Liverpool's and 8 better than Chelsea's ... so no signs of all those goal records that were being talked about either ...

C'mon City ... let's thrash Wigan tomorrow, book another Wembley trip, and then go take care of those bitches in Spain ...

[sniff sniff]

Alarms are going off in Dublin.

Mancity1980 said:
Balti said:

never, Dalglish at Liverpool, Keegan at Newcastle were special but with Uwe it is something different, something more profound. It was not about being the biggest part of a golden era of success, it was about hero-seeking fans finding a player that during difficult times played his heart out for us, ran and ran, score important goals, showed great passion for us when others just played. The story then moved on to his fight against cancer when our love for him helped him through a difficult time. It does not get any better than that. The brilliant chant for him and the bombing old Trafford tee-shirt just add to the legend that is Uwe Rosler![/qu

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_cXaWUtBnM[/youtube]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.readbutneverred.com/revenge-redemption-rosler-reunion-man-city-v-wigan-athletic-fa-cup-qf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.readbutneverred.com/revenge- ... fa-cup-qf/</a>

great little piece on Uwe by the beeb

Some things have changed quite a bit in the 20 years since Manchester City fans met Uwe Rosler for the first time - that mullet has gone for a start.
City, too, are almost unrecognisable, having gone from being perennially skint and struggling to stay up, to big-spending trophy hunters who are chasing a domestic treble this season.
Their fans are still singing about Rosler, though, just as they were when he made his debut on 5 March 1994 as an unknown and unheralded former East German international with a bad haircut.
It took him less than 90 minutes to win them over, and start a mutual love affair that has lasted ever since. City's fans have seen many more talented players than Rosler in recent years, but few have earned more affection.

Rosler at Man City in numbers
Uwe Rosler
Fee: £500k Games: 176 Goals: 64

Major honours: 0 Relegations: 2

Managers played under: 7

Commitment to the cause, according to Lee, Horton and Curle: 100%

Before the end of Rosler's first appearance, which saw his backheel set up David Rocastle for the equaliser in a 1-1 draw at QPR, they chanted the German striker's name for the first time.
To the tune of the Pet Shop Boys anthem 'Go West', they will be singing 'Uwe, Uwe Rosler' again on Sunday, when the 45-year-old Wigan manager takes his side to Etihad Stadium in the FA Cup.
There are some very good reasons why Rosler says it will be an "emotional moment" for him too.
For Rosler's return to City is not just the tale of an old favourite coming back to face his former club - it goes far deeper than that. Their unique bond comes not through past glories but after helping each other through some dark days during the last two decades.
It started on the pitch: Rosler's industry and passion - and goals - were rare reasons for City fans to get excited during the mid-90s, when they tumbled two divisions in three seasons.
In the words of former chairman Francis Lee, who was in charge when Rosler joined, he was "the hero they had been waiting for".
Twenty years ago, Lee had just ousted his predecessor Peter Swales at Maine Road after months of fighting for control of the club. The boardroom battle had taken its toll on a team that was fighting for survival at the bottom end of what was then called the Premiership.
Francis Lee celebrates his takeover at Manchester City in February 1994
Francis Lee celebrates his takeover at Manchester City in February 1994
"We had no money but we were desperate for a striker," Lee told BBC Sport. "The agent Jerome Anderson offered us the chance to take Uwe on trial.
"Uwe had been at Middlesbrough for a couple of weeks but they did not want him so he went back to Germany. We brought him back over and he played in a reserve game for us against Burnley on a Wednesday night.
"The manager Brian Horton and I watched him play and at half-time Brian said to me 'what do you think?'. I said, 'he is passing the ball to people in a blue shirt and he has scored a goal: he is better than what we have got!'"
Horton agreed and Rosler joined, initially on loan, from Dynamo Dresden.
Despite not having played a first-team game in six months because of injury, he went straight into the City side to play at Loftus Road three days later.
Brian Horton with his new signing Uwe Rosler in March 1994
Manchester City manager Brian Horton with his new signing Uwe Rosler in March 1994
Quickly forging an effective and prolific partnership with Paul Walsh, who signed soon after, Rosler scored five goals in City's last 12 games of the season. It was enough to keep them up - that year anyway.
Rosler's attitude impressed his team-mates too, as well as the fans. Then-City captain Keith Curle told BBC Sport: "He was not the prettiest player on the eye with the ball at his feet but he had a phenomenal work ethic.
"Back then we did not have the GPS systems we have now to measure player movement, but I would love to know the ground Uwe covered in games.
"It was not just on matchday, either. He set the standards for the team during the week in training too. I was usually marking him and the most memories I have of him are of having to kick him to try to stop him from running around so much!
"That is why the fans loved him so much as a player - the minimum requirement when you go to watch your team is that they come off the field having given everything possible for that shirt. As City captain I knew I would always get that from Uwe."
Over the next few months, Rosler's cult following grew and grew; inspiring a t-shirt and terrace chant that made a light-hearted and entirely fictitious claim about how his grandad was responsible for the time Old Trafford's Stretford End was hit by a Luftwaffe raid during World War II.
Their support boosted Rosler's belief. "I was untouchable, nothing bad could happen to me," he told BBC Sport. "I was just so full of confidence. I had never ever had that feeling before or after. It was a great feeling and obviously the fans played a big part in that."
Horton, the first of seven managers that Rosler would play under in his four years in Manchester, adds: "I can remember my family singing his name when they used to go to games. It went around the ground.
"The fans liked him because he scored goals but they absolutely loved him because he had that never-say die attitude."
Rosler left following City's relegation to the third tier of English football in 1998. Better times followed for his old club than he ever saw with them but, even so, he was never forgotten.
Those same fans who had appreciated Rosler so much during City's struggles on the pitch repaid him in his hour of need off it, when he was battling cancer in 2003.
As he remembers it: "I was in my hospital bed recovering from the latest dose of chemotherapy when an old friend from England called me up. He was at a City game and he said 'can you hear it, can you hear it?'
"He held up his phone and the City fans were singing my name and I could hear it echoing around the ground. The news had reached them that I was ill, but they were willing me to beat the cancer.
"They had not given up on me. It put a smile back on my face and gave me new hope and new motivation to get through a very difficult time.
"I had a bond with the club before, but it became unbreakable at that moment. I felt that, with that kind of backing, how could I possibly fail?"
When he recovered, Rosler went back to Manchester to thank the fans for their support and received another rousing reception.
By then, though, he was not just loved by City supporters for his gutsy performances on the pitch; he was loved for being a fan himself after going to watch the club's famous play-off win over Gillingham in 1999.
Rosler, 45, named his first son - now on the books of City's academy - after City legend Colin Bell, and his second son after another, Tony Book.
He was inducted into the club's hall of fame in 2009, admits to shedding a tear at Wembley when City ended their long wait for a major trophy by winning the FA Cup in 2011, and he was also was at Etihad Stadium when they won the Premier League title in 2012.
Play media

Rosler set for emotional City return
When Rosler moved back to England in 2010, he chose a base in Bramhall near Stockport, where he had lived as a City player. "It felt like home," he explained.
One of those t-shirts about his grandad is on the wall of his office, along with a shot of Rosler and Walsh, who remains a close friend.
Rosler has an affinity with the whole area, which is why he says he is looking forward to going back to Etihad Stadium as an opposition manager for the first time - even if he wants Wigan to win.
"When I was recovering from cancer I went there to say thank-you for the support I got," Rosler said this week. "Now, 11 years later, I am going to be there with a wonderful football club, as a manager.
"It is quite a story and the emotions will be there but I am a very professional guy and I can focus on the job in hand. So we will see - ask me how I coped after the game!"<br /><br />-- Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 am --<br /><br />[bigimg]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71140000/jpg/_71140144_rosler1.jpg[/bigimg]

You Can't See Me

Who's not going today?

I'm not and it's pissing me off. Got a seat on the fun bus with the lads and tickets still available so the only excuse i can offer is a drunken promise to spend a day out with the mrs.
It's so fucking annoying as it looks set to be a great day for an fa cup tie, the sun's out, Roslers return and a not so old score to settle on the pitch.
On the upside, our day out will involve a boozer with the match on and a blowjob credit for every goal we score.

spleen vented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.