Man City vs Real Madrid | Post Match Thread

Not too bad considering that was mostly City's 2nd 11 vs Madrids 1st eleven (only James Rodriguez was missing).
A bit desperate on their part I have to say.
As to the comments showing a bit of a flap. Hilarious. Go and give your head a wobble.

we were missing probably 5 players that would arguably make our strongest 11 but how many of them will be ready to start at West Brom? Centre backs aside, That starting lineup wasn't a million miles away from what i suspect we will go with against West Brom. Aguero, Zabba, Demi and Fernandinho aren't even back in training yet with a little over 2 weeks before the start of the season. They're going to have to get up to scratch pretty damn quick if they are to be fit enough to start our first game. I don't expect any of them bar possibly Aguero to start.

showed a difference in quality still though. we NEED to get players like de bruyne, pogba, alex sandro to push us up a level or two!

Pretty much that, great experience for them both to play against that standard, and they weren't helped much by the senior players around them. I was a bit surprised that Mangala didn't get a game, and considering who we didn't even have out there, this result is hardly a surprise.

Chelsea lost 4-2 yesterday to New York Red Bulls to put it in some sort of perspective.

It does, but there were still one or two concerns. The farce of our defending at set pieces appears to be ongoing. Just as we never win a header from our own corners, so we seem equally incapable of stopping the opposition winning theirs. We saw it half a dozen times at White Hart Lane and the Liberty recently, completely free headers, 6 yards out, for the opposition, and we saw it again today. The other concern was a physical one. We gave away height and power all over the pitch. Modric aside, their entire team seemed to be over 6ft tall, and they even bundled Ya Ya off the ball a couple of times. We looked lightweight in comparison and I think we would benefit from Pogba far more than De Bruyne. Also, Sterling up front or a false no.9, is not something that is going to work against opposition of this defensive quality.
Lots of pluses from the trip in the form of Silva, Ya Ya and Nas, and some good stuff from some of the youngsters, but one or two ongoing long term problems too

we were missing probably 5 players that would arguably make our strongest 11 but how many of them will be ready to start at West Brom? Centre backs aside, That starting lineup wasn't a million miles away from what i suspect we will go with against West Brom. Aguero, Zabba, Demi and Fernandinho aren't even back in training yet with a little over 2 weeks before the start of the season. They're going to have to get up to scratch pretty damn quick if they are to be fit enough to start our first game. I don't expect any of them bar possibly Aguero to start.

Doubt any of them will start, though Kompany, Mangala, and maybe Bony might feature.

Not a serious match. Not a serious result. Good friendly run out for both teams. Some of us are attaching to much importance to the result. Chill out.

This is from the BBC web page during the match....

Never will Manuel Pellegrini be more relaxed about a 4-1 defeat. He looks at ease on his bench. This is a patchwork City side, knitted together with very loose cotton, falling apart as a result under any real strong rip from Real.

Can we read much into it domestically? City certainly don't look too sharp but they may well be in the middle of a big block of training. It's miles in the legs for these players if nothing else.

So pretty tame critically from the media.

It does, but there were still one or two concerns. The farce of our defending at set pieces appears to be ongoing. Just as we never win a header from our own corners, so we seem equally incapable of stopping the opposition winning theirs. We saw it half a dozen times at White Hart Lane and the Liberty recently, completely free headers, 6 yards out, for the opposition, and we saw it again today. The other concern was a physical one. We gave away height and power all over the pitch. Modric aside, their entire team seemed to be over 6ft tall, and they even bundled Ya Ya off the ball a couple of times. We looked lightweight in comparison and I think we would benefit from Pogba far more than De Bruyne. Also, Sterling up front or a false no.9, is not something that is going to work against opposition of this defensive quality.
Lots of pluses from the trip in the form of Silva, Ya Ya and Nas, and some good stuff from some of the youngsters, but one or two ongoing long term problems too
I agree with much of that, and there are things that need work, but that's what pre season is for. The biggest issue for me today were the fullbacks, given their collective experience, they rarely stop crosses going in, and when you have a 16 year old playing, he needs some help.

I was unimpressed by most of the senior players if I'm honest, especially with only 2 weeks, and 2 games before the season starts. Delph picking up a knock could be a big issue, he needed some game time. Do we know when Fernandhino is back ?

showed a difference in quality still though. we NEED to get players like de bruyne, pogba, alex sandro to push us up a level or two!

I agree mate.....only a friendly and against a strong Real team but some of the players looked lost....its important some of these young kids get some game experience but think it showed us, Txiki still needs to do a bit of work before the transfer window shuts....Fernando looks a step slower then everyone else every time I see him....Hope Delph injury isnt too serious, he looked solid before he went off....What is disappointing is that I felt we looked sharper and quicker against Roma but its a friendly and good to get these games out of our system before things get serious in a few weeks!;).....Anyone surprised Dzeko played? Are we just trying to put pressure on Roma to get deal done?....thanks

Not too bothered about the result but the way we performed did.

I don't know what it is but for me we don't come across very organised as a team when off the ball and our intensity was poor I thought.

The biggest concern is the serious lack of quality in central midfield outside of Yaya Toure.

Left back seriously needs looking at as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.