Manchester City Supporters Trust - Does it exist?

Blue Mist said:
P.B., Gary, there have been a few mentions on this thread of Ray Ranson and I am aware that we have to be aware of the libel laws etc (Ric - miilions of pounds etc) but my recollection is that a large number of Blues (me included) thought Ranson would be ideal. he said all the right things and came across as wealthy and business savvy. As it progressed I seem to recall that it came to light that he was no more than a front man put forward by the real people (the hedge fund referred to earlier?). They were using him because of his City career. Ranson himself had little money and little experience of running such a large organisation.

I think that when you're in a desperate position (and despite some of the positives that Mackintosh et al tried to claim at the time, City was in a desperate position, looking for an investor - any investor!) then any alternative can look better. We all know from the welcome Thaksin was given, how much we needed someone to believe and invest in us. Ranson did seem like a positive option for a while to some fans but, as you say, he seemed to be more of a front man. When you look at what happened at Coventry after he'd headed their takeover, it's clear he also felt unsupported by those supposedly backing him. He ultimately left Coventry and, according to reports at the time, wrote off over £1m of his own money. He now has some involvement in the world of betting on player's worth - i.e. gambling on how a player's value will grow.

As with any former player, we all like to think that they remain Blues and would do anything to help our club. I tend to think Ranson does have a strong feeling for City but, as with Francis Lee, it doesn't always make for the best investor.

PB - on the book writing front... I'd say do it. Don't worry about my book (that may never see daylight anyway!), get yours written and published. There are so many angles to the problems and successes of the last decade that there's plenty of room for other books. David Conn's book directly impacted the publication of "The Journey" (my book) in 2011, but that hasn't stopped my long term drive to get this out there. I won't be publishing mine for at least a year, maybe 2, maybe 3... so get yours out there now. I know I'll be keen to read it. If you need any help I will, of course, be happy to help in any way I can.

Cheers Gary for the feed back re Ranson. The whole era is steeped in lies, intrigue, back stabbing oh and demonstrations !

Blue Mist said:
Cheers Gary for the feed back re Ranson. The whole era is steeped in lies, intrigue, back stabbing oh and demonstrations !

It shows the significance of City to us all I guess. What other industry other than sports do 'customers' demonstrate? Can you imagine if we were all regulars at the Palace Theatre and after every show we rushed around to the foyer to chant and demand that the owner stand down because we hadn't thought the play was good enough or because he'd appointed the wrong theatre manager? Or even staging candlelit protests in the Palace's stalls because we wanted the place taken over by a former actor we idolised?

Football's raw, powerful and so important to so many of us. It's often difficult to get across to non-fans why we care about ownership and related matters. It's something we've invested our lives in and when we see people abuse our club either as owners/leaders/managers or simply negative voices, it hurts.

Even when all appears well and the club is moving along nicely it is important for us all to remember the trials and tribulations we've faced over the decades and to be wary of what follows. Our club is a business and, inevitably, those who own our 'business' will always want to gain something from it. It doesn't matter whether that's prestige, increased value, hard cash, local influence, international attention, or selling a few tellies and negotiating comfy deals on the back of running the club, it's something we need to remember and something that we, as guardians of MCFC, need to focus on at appropriate times.

Gary James said:
Blue Mist said:

It shows the significance of City to us all I guess. What other industry other than sports do 'customers' demonstrate? Can you imagine if we were all regulars at the Palace Theatre and after every show we rushed around to the foyer to chant and demand that the owner stand down because we hadn't thought the play was good enough or because he'd appointed the wrong theatre manager? Or even staging candlelit protests in the Palace's stalls because we wanted the place taken over by a former actor we idolised?

Football's raw, powerful and so important to so many of us. It's often difficult to get across to non-fans why we care about ownership and related matters. It's something we've invested our lives in and when we see people abuse our club either as owners/leaders/managers or simply negative voices, it hurts.

Even when all appears well and the club is moving along nicely it is important for us all to remember the trials and tribulations we've faced over the decades and to be wary of what follows. Our club is a business and, inevitably, those who own our 'business' will always want to gain something from it. It doesn't matter whether that's prestige, increased value, hard cash, local influence, international attention, or selling a few tellies and negotiating comfy deals on the back of running the club, it's something we need to remember and something that we, as guardians of MCFC, need to focus on at appropriate times.

And there lies the problem. If I don't like the play at the Palace or the seats are rubbish I simply don't go again. In all the dark times I never said that about City because I knew I would be back for the next match, no matter how crap we were.
No one has ever been able to define why a supporter feels it is his or her club, no one else's, just theirs. I share City with other people but it is MY club.
The fanzine City 'Til I Cry came up with a phrase that sums me up, 'Hate football- Love City so if someone in charge, Swales or Mackintosh is not backing my club 100% I take it personally !

And that is why we should NEVER accept being treated as just "customers".

We are fans and that is a unique and special relationship. Owners, executives, managers & players forget that at their peril. And I think they've started to forget that at the moment.

You know, I often wondered if the owner's current long term plans didn't include some sort of fan ownership. May sound crazy after all the investment, but once the club itself is self sufficient and the plans for the wider site are realised, who knows, maybe the return on the residential and leisure activities would be enough for the whole investment.

Nice dream, maybe.

What better lasting legacy for Abu Dhabi in Manchester though? Also a big two fingers to all the naysayers and doubters.

He could hand it over to bluemoon, we'll be bankrupt within a year.

But no-one will notice because we'll still be debating the first agenda item from the first board meeting - muffin or barm (or would it be Mancini v Pellegrini)

Prestwich_Blue said:

We are fans and that is a unique and special relationship. Owners, executives, managers & players forget that at their peril. And I think they've started to forget that at the moment.
But so many accept being customers; so many accept the great piles of steaming bullshit served up by their clubs.
I don't give a stuff about Blackpool, Leeds, Wimbledon etc being screwed over but I care when City screw our fans and so many not only accept it but also criticise those who want to change it.
We had fans who didn't want Ball to be sacked. We had fans who wouldn't openly criticise Pearce even though we didn't score a home league goal after New Years Day in 2006-07. We had an official supporters club that would never criticise Swales or amend their rules so they could if it was appropriate.
And when PB and a few others tried to set up the trust there was a fair amount of flak, presumably from those that wouldn't criticise the men in charge on previous occasions.
It worked out well in the end, but I don't think we were too far from it all going tits up in a horrible way.

after the recent lack of discussion on unnecessary price increases and the way the disabled fans have bee ignored it might be time to resurrect the idea nothing like a bit of independence to sharpen practice even if things were hunky dory its good for fans and the club to have proper dialogue without strings more on the concept here <a class="postlink" href="http://www.supporters-direct.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.supporters-direct.org/</a>

Prestwich_Blue said:

Completely agree with this, I'm Not old enough to remember the days of Swales and never really realised how desperate the situation had got pre sheikh, and whilst I wouldn't swap the last few years I also have to admit that recently I find myself feeling a little bit cold towards the club I love. The price increases are through the roof and the club as a whole feels more and more like it's becoming that lot down the road. My head keeps trying to blame Platini and ffp but it just seems to easy an excuse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.