Manchester City Tactics - 2023/24

Pep's comments about Grealish and his lack of attacking threat were interesting and I am wondering if the front three may be given more attacking reign given that our defense seems so solid. The signing of Doku may support that view.
I could however see Pep starting to love tight defending more and more with single goal wins becoming more common.

We can play several ways whe you consider rhe posible players and where they can play

Gk
Eddie, Ortega, carson

RB/RCB in a 3
Walker, lewis, stones, akanji, rodri

CB
Stones, Dias, Ake, Akanji, Gvadiol, Rodri

LB/LCB in a 3
Ake, Gvadiol, Lewis, Gomez

DM or Pivot
Rodri, Philips, Stones, Lewis, Berny, Akanji, KDB, Kovacic, Nunes(?)

AM
Foden, Grealish, Berny, Kovacic, Palmer, Alvarez, McAtee, KDB, Bobb, Nunes(?)

RW
Foden, Palmer, Berny, Bobb

Forward
Haaland, Alvarez

LW
Grealish, Foden, Palmer, Gomez

False 9
Berny, KDB, Foden, Grealish, Alvarez

said as much in the Welcome Doku thread, but more and more long balls, a tighter defence, target man and quick winger, we're surely looking at sitting deep more this season, and springing a trap?

Palmer leaving means what I thought was just a circumstance (Walker wide RB) is now going to be a main stay of this team.

Doku will primarily be used LW to rotate and push Grealish as wide left player who dribbles 1v1.

Pep will favour the RW to then be somebody who comes inside in the half space with the CAM (a 4231 formation) to make the classic 3241, but with the RB wide, not a winger.

This is also a way for Lewis to have a clear path to the first team, he is going back to being a wide RB with the task of surpassing an aging Walker.

Everything he learned as an inverted fullback is still useful as often we saw Walker invert a bit with Bernie wide against Sheffield in a 3331 to draw the press with 6 men compact centrally.

This could be a very big season for Lewis in terms of progression. The goal is very clear for him, try to surpass Walker. That’s gonna be tough but good for him in the long run.

Palmer leaving means what I thought was just a circumstance (Walker wide RB) is now going to be a main stay of this team.

Doku will primarily be used LW to rotate and push Grealish as wide left player who dribbles 1v1.

Pep will favour the RW to then be somebody who comes inside in the half space with the CAM (a 4231 formation) to make the classic 3241, but with the RB wide, not a winger.

This is also a way for Lewis to have a clear path to the first team, he is going back to being a wide RB with the task of surpassing an aging Walker.

Everything he learned as an inverted fullback is still useful as often we saw Walker invert a bit with Bernie wide against Sheffield in a 3331 to draw the press with 6 men compact centrally.

This could be a very big season for Lewis in terms of progression. The goal is very clear for him, try to surpass Walker. That’s gonna be tough but good for him in the long run.
I don't think Kyle so high up works that well and if we continue that and Stonsey comes back as right CB in midfield - doesn't that leave us s bit vulnerable?

I don't think Kyle so high up works that well and if we continue that and Stonsey comes back as right CB in midfield - doesn't that leave us s bit vulnerable?
Against a high press team like Newcastle, we played BOTH Walker wide and asked Akanji to step into midfield.

This made a 235 which seems risky but is designed to control the midfield completely and beat a pressing team. So the CB into midfield role will still come back every now and then.

But with Kovacic and Nunes, the CB will ONLY push up to make a 3 (like Newcastle) and not to be the 2nd midfielder next to Rodri like last season.

The stats show Walker has actually contributed quite well in our attacks these last few games, he lacks dribbling, but makes up for it in speed and we have a better defender than a winger. His crossing is loads better now too.

I think Stones and Gvardiol will be tasked to be wide CBs, and with their passing and dribbling, will give more ways to unlock the defence from further back.

For me Lewis is not a full back...

For me Lewis is not a full back...
I’m not too fond of him as an inverted fullback, even though that’s where all his minutes have been.

But as a wide attacking fullback? I think Lewis will be brilliant there.

I still remember that goal he scored against Bayern in pre season in that role.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.