Manchester City Tactics - 2023/24

I’m not too fond of him as an inverted fullback, even though that’s where all his minutes have been.

But as a wide attacking fullback? I think Lewis will be brilliant there.

I still remember that goal he scored against Bayern in pre season in that role.
Wide full back ? I don't know mate, if he's asked to defend in a system where he is wide right he's in trouble...but he's a mere kid really so hopefully he kicks on again

Palmer leaving means what I thought was just a circumstance (Walker wide RB) is now going to be a main stay of this team.

Doku will primarily be used LW to rotate and push Grealish as wide left player who dribbles 1v1.

Pep will favour the RW to then be somebody who comes inside in the half space with the CAM (a 4231 formation) to make the classic 3241, but with the RB wide, not a winger.

This is also a way for Lewis to have a clear path to the first team, he is going back to being a wide RB with the task of surpassing an aging Walker.

Everything he learned as an inverted fullback is still useful as often we saw Walker invert a bit with Bernie wide against Sheffield in a 3331 to draw the press with 6 men compact centrally.

This could be a very big season for Lewis in terms of progression. The goal is very clear for him, try to surpass Walker. That’s gonna be tough but good for him in the long run.
I'm not sure, i think Doku will be used both on the left and right. I like that he'll be used as a conventional left winger as we need that type of player, but i think he'll be asked to play Mahrez's role too and cut Inside and take a shot.

I'm not sure about Rico being a RB too, i think he's going to end up in midfield. He can play RB obviously but I think he looks more comfortable in the middle.
I'm hoping he's Gundo's eventual replacement rather than Walker's.

Also you can't forget about Johnny Stones. When he gets back i think Pep will revert to playing him instead of Walker for a lot of games.

Wide full back ? I don't know mate, if he's asked to defend in a system where he is wide right he's in trouble...but he's a mere kid really so hopefully he kicks on again
It’s being asked to defend as a wide fullback because you have the wide CB and a midfielder slightly behind you if you bomb.

A traditional RB would actually require more defending.

His attacking qualities are underrated.

I'm not sure, i think Doku will be used both on the left and right. I like that he'll be used as a conventional left winger as we need that type of player, but i think he'll be asked to play Mahrez's role too and cut Inside and take a shot.

I'm not sure about Rico being a RB too, i think he's going to end up in midfield. He can play RB obviously but I think he looks more comfortable in the middle.
I'm hoping he's Gundo's eventual replacement rather than Walker's.

Also you can't forget about Johnny Stones. When he gets back i think Pep will revert to playing him instead of Walker for a lot of games.
Look at above comment regarding Lewis.

Doku will probably play on the right some games, but I don’t see the Mahrez comparisons, he is more explosive and right footed.

In fact Mahrez got replaced by Bernie last season because Pep wanted more of a midfielder on the RW.

And with the sale of Palmer (wide RW a like for like Mahrez replacement) and how we are using Walker, I’m just convinced that will continue. With the LW being the main 1v1 dribbler spot, which Doku is tailor made for.

Stones is brilliant in that we will still use an inverted CB like Newcastle, but if we don’t, he is still brilliant in a wide RCB role.

Look at above comment regarding Lewis.

Doku will probably play on the right some games, but I don’t see the Mahrez comparisons, he is more explosive and right footed.

In fact Mahrez got replaced by Bernie last season because Pep wanted more of a midfielder on the RW.

And with the sale of Palmer (wide RW a like for like Mahrez replacement) and how we are using Walker, I’m just convinced that will continue. With the LW being the main 1v1 dribbler spot, which Doku is tailor made for.

Stones is brilliant in that we will still use an inverted CB like Newcastle, but if we don’t, he is still brilliant in a wide RCB role.
Yeah, i'm looking forward to seeing what happens and seeing how Pep uses the squad. If Doku and Nunes start off City life like Kovacic and Gvardiol have, then we're in for treat.

We're evolving all the time - i.e. we now have much more physicality to our game than a few years ago with a lot more height and no loss of technicality. The number of players we now have with genuine searing pace is incredible. It always takes us about six weeks to hit our precision groove at the start of each season and once we hit our stride, opposition teams will find it harder to read us. I say that because in their minds they're still playing the City of a few years ago, but unlike our rivals who generally play a similar style every season, Pep is always looking to evolve the team and challenge our lads to improve. With the signings of Kovacic and Nunes (once it goes through) we're getting two players who do everything but score, but I know that Pep has a plan.

You conveniently keep forgetting we have 0 depth for the midfield pair. Like nobody.

So unless your plan is to play Rodri and Kova every single game into the ground, you undestimate that Pep values the long game.

Maybe in big games he will play Bernie higher up to gain more control, but predominantly we play teams who are much weaker.

He wont play all 3 of Rodri, Kova and Bernie in these scenarios, 2 of them is enough, he will play more killers higher up.
Stones, when fit, will step into midfield if Rodri or Kova are injured or need a rest. I can't see Stones getting as much game time as he did last season. I think Pep will play a back three and when out of possession Rodri will step into the back four. We do have options in that defensive midfield roll.

can see Pep turning us into some quick transition team, or have certain parts of that game being used attack wise.

Gvardiol has better speed than Ake or Laporte, Doku is rapid, Nunes also qucker than Rodri or Phillips. plan A Bellingham would have been quick too.

can see Pep turning us into some quick transition team, or have certain parts of that game being used attack wise.

Gvardiol has better speed than Ake or Laporte, Doku is rapid, Nunes also qucker than Rodri or Phillips. plan A Bellingham would have been quick too.
Vertical down the centre, control down the wings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.