Manchester City v Chelsea in Ohio - Post Match Thread

Expected to get beat just wanted to see how we performed against what was on paper a much strong Chelsea side. They were all over the shop, they've got a lot of work left to do, if we can get most of our 13 missing first team players fit, playing them early might be an advantage.

These are more comments on the tour as a whole not just today's game. From our recognised first teamers, was good to see haaland finally get decent minutes under his belt, no worries with him, he'll be ready.

Grealish had a largely disappointing game and indeed pre-season. Really felt like he needed a very good pre-season more than anybody. He'll start the season because nobody else has started pre-season yet and to be dropped before the season begins would likely destroy him and make him useless to us all season but the huge advantage he was given over the likes of doku and savio has been squandered I feel. Really going to have to have a strong start for us.

Bobb in stark contrast to Grealish, although quite quiet today has had a brilliant pre-season. That goal today was truly superb, the intelligence to hit that to the near post, through the legs almost on the in step was top tier, as was the execution. Gem of a player thats been the star of pre-season and gained the most from it by far.

kovacic in both games has looked rusty to start with and somehow gotten fitter as the game goes on. His bursts out have been a joy to watch. He's not there yet but he'll get there.

Gvardiol looked sharper today,expect him to hit the ground running.

Lewis played a lot in many different positions, that versatility leaves him in danger of stifling him though, he's clearly a midfielder but he's more useful to us as a defender, like to see him stick with a position so he can learn it.

Phillips today was great, surprisingly defended really well and good on the ball, we're just never going to see him play centre back so seemed pointless. We have 5 actual centre backs that will all play ahead of him and Pep is more likely to play walker or Rodri centre back in an emergency.

As for the kids, Doyle was the standout for me, seems ready to be of use to us given we have just 6 defenders in the squad which is nowhere near enough. Odd that he's seemingly destined to take a step down even from last seasons loan on go to Norwich, he'd be the one I'd keep in the squad, especially if he's not getting premier league football. Doesn't need another year in thr championship. Weird.

Mcatee, shows his quality when he gets on the ball, he just doesn't get himself involved in the game anywhere near enough for me. He will get a chance in the league cup and any champions league dead rubbers, that's his chance to make a mark and think he will have to as if he doesn't, he won't feature for us beyond that this season aside from taking the gomez role as leg saver in games already won.

O'Reilly has talent but got a lot to learn positionally and often tries too much, I know peps bigged him up but there's just no way he's going to be Rodri's cover this season. For a start he's played more as an 8 but let's say Rodri is missing for a champions league last 16 game or a trip anfield, not a chance O'Reilly is coming in. Good experience for him, got a future if he carries on but got some way to go yet.

JWE had a good half today but not to the required level. Shame Susoho barely got a chance to play in his natural position. Rest just made up the numbers.

Turned on. Sterling scored. Missed the others. Awaiting highlights.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.