Manchester City v Portsmouth| 31st |Official Matchday Thread

Never really got going today, i just don't get why Petrov plays on the right, it slows the attack down so much when he has to cut in. De jong played his usual game but Barry looks as though he's lost a yard of pace. Toure had a decent game and Bellamy looked good when he came on, i really do think that if needed we could have stepped up a gear. Got the 3 points and thats what matters roll on Hull.

Not sure if the defence is up to securing a top 4 spot. Even with the protection provided by our defensive mids, we still seem vunerable at the back.
Be nice to purchase left & right full backs that can actually stop the crosses coming in an don't keep giving the ball back every time we get hold of it.

Definitely a strange feeling getting three points from what was technically a "comfortable" 2-0 win from what was one of City's poorer performances this season. Whether it was fatigue or just a hangover from the midweek defeat, it was pretty shocking to see the general sluggishness pervasive in the team today.

While Adebayor was out, I was on board with playing Petrov on the right side. They didn't really have much height in the box, so the team was much better off having Petrov cutting in and shooting with his left foot than with him running down the wing and pumping in crosses. But with Adebayor back, it's just a waste of Petrov's talents playing him on the right side. Move him back to the left, please.

Barry may as well go get that surgery, because he's not really doing much out there. We all saw how influential he can be on a match in the first couple of months of the season, but he's a shell of what himself right now. He's been nearly invisible on the pitch for months now, to the point his starting spot on the England squad has to be in serious jeopardy. Just go get him fixed up and maybe he'll be back by April and can contribute something.

If Kompany hadn't injured his groin today, this would be an absolute no-brainer. Between Kompany, Vieira, and Ibrahim, there's plenty of cover for Barry's midfield position while he's out. Hopefully Kompany isn't out too long.

I wasn't very fond of Bridge when he went down with his knee injury, but I'd love to see him back in the side right about now after watching Garrido try to defend today. He's just not Top Four material.

On top of those points dropped at home from winning positions against three of the worst away sides in the Prem (Fulham, Burnley, and Hull), City have really failed to boost their goal difference against the bottom sides in the table. If I had to put money on three clubs to go down this season, I'd say Pompey (nailed on), Hull (a near certainty), and Burnley (this season's Hull, only they won't be as lucky). City now have played four of their six matches against this trio, and are just +3 GD in those four matches. If goal difference ends up being a major factor at the end of the season, look no further than those matches.

Matty said:
Poor performance, good result. How many times have we heared that description applied to a United victory? It was quite a dull game to watch, but we got the three points and that's the most important thing.

I agree it was important we got back to winning ways today regardless of the performance ( all good teams win when not playing well )

What worries me is Ade and Tevez don't seem to link up with each other.

Barry's weak. Petrov tries too hard.

I'd like the team to play around Ireland.

I hope Mancini sees the point. No matter what the system and tactics, it's the players that win him matches. And they need a leader.

I hope Mancini's unselfish enough to take him back from the matchplay. Give someone the leading role and hence, the limelight.

Very worrying that Vincent Kompany may be out for 6-8 weeks (my guess) but Lescott and Vieira should be available soon. SWP would have run riot against Pompey. Maybe he is not fully fit. Anyway, its another 3 points won.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.