Manchester City vs Hull City post match thread

Ducado said:
I seldom get angry about the odd bad performance, but this has not been in isolation and I was fuming on my way home, like has been said there seems to be a lack of passion and effort, time for the management team to really earn their money and get this sorted out

Just to top things off, the U21s and U18s have been losing of late also.
At least we now have the consistent\uniform pattern of football that was the aim for all levels of the club !

In a more serious note, a point on the youth players.
If they cannot get into the first team squad for matchdays, rather than loan them out to lower league teams or clubs in other countries where they may or may not get games, would it not be better to keep the whole team together for say 2 years with Viera, to give them a chance of winning regularly as a team together and maybe winning trophies i.e. gain a winning mentality and get used to playing football with each other, and then for the best 3 players say, to get in the matchday squad of 18 regularly for the season or two after. Any others then thought not quite good enough or ready to then go on loan to see if they can develop further, and if not able to make it at City get good careers at other clubs and City get some money in from their sales.

tonea2003 said:
the big mistake in these type of games is not playing with width, genuine width i.e. navas

hull were playing certainly after they scored with an almost back 10.

the pitch needed to be opened up to stretch their defence which happened in the second half to a large extent once navas came on

also didn't understand taking silva off and keeping nasri on

Our problem with playing with width is the lack of quality. Teams have worked us out in that they can completely block up the middle and sit narrow and leave it up to Clichy/Navas/Zabs to do what they want but they are just not capable of doing it. The only dangerous thing we show out wide is overlapping with the full back in the box for the square ball in but again how many times have we seen the Navas square ball which goes out off their player for a corner?

We do need more width but again forget the Silva sub, why wasn't Kolarov put on in a game like this? We could easily of brought Silva off for Kolarov who would of given us far more than another striker in the box with Jovetic. We also would of been more secure at the back because Clichy would have the protection of Kolarov in midfield ahead of him. Pellegrini just needs to think outside the box sometimes.

inbetween said:
tonea2003 said:
the big mistake in these type of games is not playing with width, genuine width i.e. navas

the pitch needed to be opened up to stretch their defence which happened in the second half to a large extent once navas came on

Our problem with playing with width is the lack of quality. Teams have worked us out in that they can completely block up the middle and sit narrow and leave it up to Clichy/Navas/Zabs to do what they want but they are just not capable of doing it. The only dangerous thing we show out wide is overlapping with the full back in the box for the square ball in but again how many times have we seen the Navas square ball which goes out off their player for a corner?

We do need more width but again forget the Silva sub, why wasn't Kolarov put on in a game like this? We could easily of brought Silva off for Kolarov who would of given us far more than another striker in the box with Jovetic. We also would of been more secure at the back because Clichy would have the protection of Kolarov in midfield ahead of him. Pellegrini just needs to think outside the box sometimes.

i'd settle for thinking right now. Some of those substitutions were baffling at best.

Looking at it calmly, in so far as it’s possible, we’ve got to allow that, against the big teams, we’ve not been bad. We took a point at Stamford Bridge, Emirates, three at Saint Mary’s. We’ve beaten Liverpool, Spurs, United at home. True, there was the disaster against Arsenal at the Etihad, but overall — not too shabby.
But what’s awful — and what will probably lose us this title now — is that against the smaller teams we’ve completely lost our seriousness and application. To be 2-0 up against Burnley and finish 2-2, to lose at home to Stoke, to draw at QPR, to very nearly lose on Saturday at home to a team that could not get a point for love nor money, that had taken a drubbing just a week before — take your choice, but at least two of these four are going down — no, that’s lousy, and neither injuries nor referees can excuse or explain it. Because it can only be a problem of attitude. Not skill, nor really fitness now. And that’s completely inexcusable, for me.
Time and time again this season, I’ve seen us start and indeed play the whole of the first half at an ambling pace, taking two, three, four touches, no overlapping, as if we thought we had all the time in the world, and that if we carried on playing our possession game, we would inevitably win. A detail, and I don’t want to single him out as being any more culpable than anyone else: Sami gets the ball in a clear goalscoring position, on his right foot. Instead of whacking it, as he did against Roma, he fucking moves it on to his left foot! Opportunity lost… The stats on our OS are a totally sterile 70% possession of the ball, and thirteen useless corners to their one. What exactly makes these players think that they have to start at a hundred miles an hour against the Chelseas to have any chance of survival, but against Stoke and Hull they merely have to stroke the ball around and these teams will roll over to have their tummies tickled? What?
Net result is that teams coming to the Etihad thinking they’re going to get battered, as they would have last season, coming out of that tunnel like turkeys at a turkey shoot, then looking round at each other after about ten minutes and saying “Hey, you know what, lads? There’s nothing to be frightened of, here. We can do this lot”. You can actually, visibly, see it going on as the first half progresses.
There are fourteen more games. Now I could do the rah rah “we’re City, we fight till the end” bit — we all can — and by the way, with the wages they’re on, they bloody well should fight till the end, that’s minimal service. But my clear-eyed assessment is that we’d have to go on a mental run now, and win them all, to be champions in May. Now I have no doubt whatsoever that in some of those games we’ll play very well and win, especially with Yaya and Bony back. But, this season, I’ve seen nothing of the steel and bloody mindedness, the character that we showed at Hull (yes, them!), Everton, even at Anfield, at the business end of last season. There’ll be a lowering of attitude in some of those games, and we’ll drop points. Problem is, there are no more points to be dropped. We’ve used up our overdraft.
Tell you what else. If we depend on Yaya to this extent, we’ve got a bloody big problem on our hands. Because soon, in the not very distant future, Yaya will not just be absent for one month every two years. He’ll be absent. Permanently.

inbetween said:
tonea2003 said:

i agree the quality was lacking but the width was there, we racked up a load of corners second half( a debate for another thread) through getting the ball out wide to navas stretching their packed defence
trying to thread through micro passes in the middle isn't working.

the silva subbing was more about nasri's fitness more than anything else, either could have gone off but felt silva should have lasted the 90 better than nasri

Our dead Ball situation are an absolute disgrace! Do we work on them in training? I doubt it with what we've been seeing! We get a free kick and its like let's pass it 2 yards to the left or back! Get it in the box if the free kick is in the opposition half, fcuk me the corners we are taking are the same ones every time and we have had over 200 without a goal SHOCKING! It's great being a side that keep the ball and pass it to death but we need a few strings to our bow!!

I'm sure it's been said on here, but this guy (Alex) on Radio Manchester had a good rant, post Hull match, its on Blue Tuesday podcast if you want a listen? he inspired me, at any rate.
It's hard to go against someone like the goat, but this guy did, and he made complete sense - Ferrnandinho and Fernando over Milner and Lamps at home?

have a listen, its good stuff.

SJT said:
I'm sure it's been said on here, but this guy (Alex) on Radio Manchester had a good rant, post Hull match, its on Blue Tuesday podcast if you want a listen? he inspired me, at any rate.
It's hard to go against someone like the goat, but this guy did, and he made complete sense - Ferrnandinho and Fernando over Milner and Lamps at home?

Fuck me does he have his own PR department these days?

blueinsa said:
SJT said:

Fuck me does he have his own PR department these days?

??? What?

Last season, especially the first part, we started every homegame like we needed to score 10 at least. This has totally gone away. Instead we are playng more and more like a Mancini-side on our pitch. Still can't get my finger on what the real problem is. And I don't buy opponents have figured us out, nor that with their tactics they know how to get results.

Than again we have had one or two bad spells over the last 4 years before. Most of the time we went on and win silverware. But that was me looking at a team that could actually catch up. Can't see it now and that worries me.

Bony can hopefully bring what tevez did when he returned from playing golf. And maybe we need a youthplayer in to get some freshness as well. But a win tonight will again change the whole view on here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.