Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fatal to our chances would a draw be? Would you be disappointed or quietly relieved? Would a draw mean bye-bye to the title?
I should appreciate some thoughtful opinion, please. I am a child in these matters.

I can't see it happening but it would be great to chuck in a curveball and start Jovetic.

I don't think the dippers could contain his movement on playing off the shoulder or willingness to come deep looking for the ball in-between the lines.

Big Swifty said:
How fatal to our chances would a draw be? Would you be disappointed or quietly relieved? Would a draw mean bye-bye to the title?
I should appreciate some thoughtful opinion, please. I am a child in these matters.
A draw would take it out of Liverpool's hands placing it firmly in ours, leaving us needing 16 points from the last 18 to secure the title (meaning we could draw at goodison) I'd be quite happy personally although I think we should be playing for the win on sunday.<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:23 pm --<br /><br />
Danamy said:
I can't see it happening but it would be great to chuck in a curveball and start Jovetic.

I don't think the dippers could contain his movement on playing off the shoulder or willingness to come deep looking for the ball in-between the lines.
They haven't had as much of a chance to scout out how he plays in our system either, you can bet they're training this week with a view to nasri playing on the left.

ianw16 said:
Just a question; if Gerrard picks up a yellow against us (10 yellows before 2nd Sunday in April), does he get a 1 or 2 game ban? 2 would mean he misses the Chelsea game.
2 game ban - the 2nd one of which would be Chelsea.

aguero93:20 said:
Big Swifty said:
A draw would take it out of Liverpool's hands placing it firmly in ours, leaving us needing 16 points from the last 18 to secure the title (meaning we could draw at goodison) I'd be quite happy personally although I think we should be playing for the win on sunday.

I agree, a draw is far better for us than for them. In fact, if I was offered it now I would take it, and that's not because I don't think we can win there, I just wouldn't see the point of taking the chance.

Also, don't forget they still have Chelsea to play, and that has draw written all over it.

I'm so tired of all the 'mind games' bollocks: managers trying to shift the pressure onto each other, players saying the opposition are favourites and so on. It's mind-numbingly tedious and seems to be even worse this year, with serial shite talkers Mourinho and Rodgers in the picture.

Back to the game, they will come at us with everything in the first twenty minutes, so we need to be a bit more cautious and pragmatic than we have been at times this season, at least for that first period. If they go with a diamond in midfield then we'll need to pin back their fullbacks, which could see (at least one of) Milner and Navas deployed on the wings for us.

I'm sure Suarez will make the most of any contact from our backline, so Kompany in particular has to control himself and not go diving in, especially around the box as their set pieces have been exceptional this year.

That said, their defence is 100% there to be got at, and if they do choose a diamond with Gerrard at the base, Silva should be able to find ample space in which to create problems for them. I think if we start Dzeko up on his own then Kolarov may play, simply to provide the kind of service that Edin needs, even if he's defensively not as strong as Clichy. A Kolarov-Milner combination on that side could work out OK. If Aguero starts, we won't rely on width to create chances as much, so Clichy would be the better option.

A draw is more powerful for us than them due to diminishing games.

Not being negative but simply outlining a scenario which is hardly beyond the realms of fantasy;

- If we draw our 2 tough trips to Merseyside and win the other 5 winnable games, we get 87 pts with a healthy goal diff, probably around +65

- If Liverpool win the 4 other games they have, with a draw with City, they get 87 pts and probably a goal diff around +60

- Chelsea can get 87 pts max but with a trip to Liverpool, that means either Pool or Chelsea will drop points.

What i'm trying to say is - if we draw our games on merseyside, dont sh*t yourself, i think we're in a good position

Big Swifty said:

As you haven't worked out the maths lol, a draw is excellent for us as it puts the league in our hands, so much so, that we can afford to drop another 2 points, possibly more should Liverpool and Chelsea draw... A draw at Everton would do.
Quite simply, Liverpool must win every game, including against us to win the league.

I'm sure we can avoid defeat at Anfield as they are bound to leave space when they push forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.