Manchester Low Emission Zone

Just to chuck one in the pot re car pollution....how about sorting the fucking roads AND Metro out both would reduce the shit in the air by having less cars per hour in the roads.....I've no figures but if it took 20 mins rather than 60 to get from A to B that's a big 'shit air saving'.

O
Has this happened in Birmingham? We voted against this. How can they go against a public vote. Is there a certain time and then they do what they want? He will get voted out Burnham.
Thing is I never knew about this. Gone under the radar.
Manchester evening news has not reported it.
It’s only the City Centre In Birmingham and there’s exemptions as well, earn under 30k, disability registered, nothing to pay.

There’s a farmer who is going to protest by taking one of her sheep on a bus, rather than transporting them in a van. That should be fun to see

This is just a completely ridiculous tax. My 2L diesel can still come in for free and even if I did get taxed I'll still keep drive in until the train prices fall below whatever it otherwise costs me. That's why I drive to city and it's why I drive every single time I go into town, because it's easier and it's cheaper.

If anyone has been on the roads recently then they'll know that everyone else is doing the same thing and the trains in my most recent experience are completely empty. It's because public transport is now a luxury item yet they expect us to turn away from the cheaper convenience to pay more for the 'climate friendly' option, there's no chance.

It's time that these idiots got into the real world and properly managed and resolved the problems that people have. To put things into context, my car tax is £510 per year but I pay it because today it's still cheaper than the price of the equivalent hybrid/electric car.

A bog standard electric Fiat 500 will cost someone £23k, forget it if you want a boot or something resembling a family car, it's just not going to happen and with the current supply crisis it's only going to get even more expensive. This stupid utopian dream of us all riding around in electric trains and electric cars is a complete fantasy.

I really do feel for the lorry drivers and van drivers who this will harm most because they quite simply do not have a choice. No matter what happens, a tax will never help people to buy something that they cannot afford.

The Manchester Low Emission Zone is set to Start on the 22nd of May 2022. I understand Vans, Taxis HGVs and Busses will have to pay a charge if they do not meet emissions compliance. Private cars are to be exempt but charges will no doubt follow for these as is the way.

Firstly, its hard to argue against wanting to improve air quality in City Centres, But unlike London Manchester doesn't have a well funded integrated public transport system to take up commuter slack, also the vehicles above cant use public transport, which seems a little at odds with the aim?

Secondly is this not just a congestion charge in all but name, a congestion charge that people voted against?

The issue I see is if there isn't an alternative or people cant afford the alternative then surely this is just another local tax.
It is an upcoming congestion charge by stealth. Stealth is a useful political tool when politicians have been given an answer via the ballot box.

It's the usual arse-end up for us. The ULEZ should come into place when there is an appropriate public transport infrastructure, and not before. A report I read last week suggested that the local Covid-induced train timetable was about to become the norm. I wonder how that fits in with an ULEZ.

This is just a completely ridiculous tax. My 2L diesel can still come in for free and even if I did get taxed I'll still keep drive in until the train prices fall below whatever it otherwise costs me. That's why I drive to city and it's why I drive every single time I go into town, because it's easier and it's cheaper.

If anyone has been on the roads recently then they'll know that everyone else is doing the same thing and the trains in my most recent experience are completely empty. It's because public transport is now a luxury item yet they expect us to turn away from the cheaper convenience to pay more for the 'climate friendly' option, there's no chance.

It's time that these idiots got into the real world and properly managed and resolved the problems that people have. To put things into context, my car tax is £510 per year but I pay it because today it's still cheaper than the price of the equivalent hybrid/electric car.

A bog standard electric Fiat 500 will cost someone £23k, forget it if you want a boot or something resembling a family car, it's just not going to happen and with the current supply crisis it's only going to get even more expensive. This stupid utopian dream of us all riding around in electric trains and electric cars is a complete fantasy.

I really do feel for the lorry drivers and van drivers who this will harm most because they quite simply do not have a choice. No matter what happens, a tax will never help people to buy something that they cannot afford.
How much do you pay on the train ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.