Manchester sight-seeing

Get knotted you patronising so and so. Manchester is a generic concrete jungle whilst York is the opposite.
Manchester is far from a generic concrete jungle. That would be Coventry.
If you like medieval architecture then York’s the place to go. For Victorian architecture, there’s not many better places than Manchester.

Roy would like peace and quiet Tubs where our air is clean moist fresh and wholesome and without pecuniary need for cock waiving .

LubjgB7.jpg

Last edited:
There should really be a Rock N Roll museum in Manchester like there is in Liverpool.

Just listening to Joy Division now, not listened to them properly for a few years, and their music is incredible - so profound, and Manchester as a city of music is unrivalled anywhere in the world imo.

Makes me sad to think, when I set off to go into town in a few minutes, that 99% of the clubs there now play the shittest hip-hop music imaginable all night long that no-one will be listening to in 40 years time.
I’ve got a Manchester playlist that I’m constantly building on, that’s 22 hours long so far. It’s not a complete back catalogue of the bands neither (by any stretch, just individual tracks I like) and I’ve not even got into the 2000s really yet.

There should definitely be a Manchester Music Museum!

Get knotted you patronising so and so. Manchester is a generic concrete jungle whilst York is the opposite.
On a programme with David Dimbleby about the industrial revolution he called Manchester “the Florence of the North”.

I'm an exiled Manc living in Whitby, so I booked my youngest and myself on a couple of guided walks starting in Picadilly and was absolutely amazed by the history contained in the City centre which really needs to be pointed out by someone in the know.
It made me so proud to be a part of this great city, which has evolved over centuries. You may need to research guided walks but if it can include the Town Hall thats good but there is lots of good stuff otherwise.
I always remind my kids they are half Manc and not all shite!

i can highly recommend doing the Manchester free walking tour that starts in the square with the alan turing statue - runs every day I believe. did it last year and covers a lot of the historical sites and a good focus on the music scene. takes a couple of hours and highly informative.

Manchester is far from a generic concrete jungle. That would be Coventry.
If you like medieval architecture then York’s the place to go. For Victorian architecture, there’s not many better places than Manchester.

Agreed.. every time you turn a corner there is stunning architecture to see

guided tours, they put detail into what can look "just another old place/building".Manchester's history is dominated by the industrial revolution (imo), cotton and the birth of the trade unions, votes for women and the ending of child labour and the slave trade. There are very few land-marks that celebrate these crucial events, sadly, but not many peeps give a shit anyway...The cruise down the Ship Canal to L'pool is a decent way to spend a day, seeing stuff only visible from a ship, a tour of the docks also benefits from a guide. Natural wonders are few and far between, no towering peaks or mighty rivers, herds of migrating wildebeest etc. the High Peak and the Lakes have their fans (and rain, lots of rain) though. As a contrast to the " dark satanic mills" of the northern cities, places like Oxford and Edinburgh seem to be from a different era. They have escaped the "blanding ?" that most cities in the UK have suffered, same shops/stores, food and pub chains etc. Anyway have a great time, bring a ruck-sack to pack the different sets of clothes you'll need i.e. tee shirt/jeans, light jacket, parka, full water-proof gear and sou'wester, then for after dinner....:)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.