Manchester The City Years Kindle edition now available

Re: On sale now - Manchester The City Years

blueinmadrid said:
My copy arrived from Amazon a few days ago and I'm absolutely delighted with it. Tempted though I was to start with the chapter on last season, I decided to read it all in order. It'll take a while (there are over 600 pages), but it's so well written and it's a real page-turner. So far I've only reached the Ardwick years, but it's fascinating to learn about the early origins and activities like scuttling. Well done Gary - you've excelled again.

So to any City fans who are unsure whether to buy this book or not: DO IT! It is THE book on City.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Anyone in the Bredbury area - I'll be at the Supp Club meeting on Thursday at 8.30 at The Crown. I'll have some of the new book and my Joe Mercer biog available on the night at discounted prices.

Also, Sale WHSmith and the WHSmith in the Trafford Centre Selfridge's now have copies of Manchester The City Years, plus most Waterstones should have it. Amazon keep undercutting everyone, so if you want to buy unseen... go through the link on the history page (and it benefits Bluemoon as well): <a class="postlink" href="http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/</a>

Brilliant book, very detailed history of the Blues and some really interesting facts.

One thing I found very odd is the huge reduction in our average attendances of almost 10,000 in 3 years from 1959/60 to 62/63, even though our league position was similar in each year.

59/60 - finished 15th in 1st division- 35,637

60/61 - 13th in division 1- 29,502 - This was the year we had Denis Law 1st time round

61/62 - 12th in 1st division - 25,711

Does anyone know the reason for this.

In the following 3 years the average gate dropped by another 10,000 but this can be explained by our drop into division 2 as it then was.

It is also interesting to see how much our average gate has increase since the 50's/60's.

Not wanting to give anything away but the book has a fantastic ending!

Bentheblue said:
Brilliant book, very detailed history of the Blues and some really interesting facts.

One thing I found very odd is the huge reduction in our average attendances of almost 10,000 in 3 years from 1959/60 to 62/63, even though our league position was similar in each year.

59/60 - finished 15th in 1st division- 35,637

60/61 - 13th in division 1- 29,502 - This was the year we had Denis Law 1st time round

61/62 - 12th in 1st division - 25,711

Does anyone know the reason for this.

In the following 3 years the average gate dropped by another 10,000 but this can be explained by our drop into division 2 as it then was.

It is also interesting to see how much our average gate has increase since the 50's/60's.

Not wanting to give anything away but the book has a fantastic ending!

Your question about attendances dropping in early 60s is an interesting one and one I'm trying to do some detailed research on. I believe that football attendances are affected by a number of factors - form is one of them, form of rivals is another (can work both positively & negatively), general financial state of the region, and then housing.

In "Manchester A Football History" I briefly talk about the "slum clearance" programme which started in the 50s but was at its peak in the 60s. City's heartland of East Manchester (mostly Ardwick, Gorton and surrounding areas) was affected with thousands of houses demolished and fans moved out to Haughton Green, Hattersley, Gamesley and so on.

For some the move meant they could no longer walk to the game; others had to get two buses instead of one. Money became a factor, as did travel time.

It sounds a bit silly now when you talk of moving to Hattersley or Gamesley as being a distance from Maine Rd, but with fewer people owning cars etc. it did have an impact. However, on a positive it also helped Blue support take root in some of those areas and that helped the club increase support in the 70s (in my opinion).

Anyone agree or am I going down the wrong path with these thoughts?

There's a piece in today's MEN about the book: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...rging-with-united-in-1964?order=desc#comments

Is it just me who thinks this is a really disappointing story for the paper to run? This is the definitive story of MCFC - why on earth do United have to be brought into it? And why the photo from the Munich 50th anniversary game with a load of red and white scarves in the foreground? Sorry, but to me that's an inappropriate and dismal effort.

petrusha said:
There's a piece in today's MEN about the book: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...rging-with-united-in-1964?order=desc#comments

Is it just me who thinks this is a really disappointing story for the paper to run? This is the definitive story of MCFC - why on earth do United have to be brought into it? And why the photo from the Munich 50th anniversary game with a load of red and white scarves in the foreground? Sorry, but to me that's an inappropriate and dismal effort.

Thanks for the comments. I must admit that I was surprised the MEN chose this angle for the piece on Friday - the piece was supposed to be a feature on my new book "Manchester The City Years". They did raise this story with me and obviously I commented on it, but of the half a million words and 608 pages on City's history to choose from it was a few paras on page 253 that the piece focused on.

Obviously, the piece was aimed at promoting the book, but I hope its focus hasn't put people off or confused them in any way. I'd like to stress that this is a very, very minor story in the Clubs entire history (my book starts in the 1850s with the formative steps at building a community, moves on to the 1860s when sport was first established as an activity at St. Mark's and on through every key moment in City's story).

The merger discussions did take place but there are so many other much more interesting stories to consider.

If you've been put off by the focus and the inevitable Blue-red baiting in the comments then please take a look at the book itself. You will see that the merger story really is only a minor point. Much better to read the exclusive material based on discussions I've had with Thaksin, Cook, Khaldoon and so on.

EDIT: Just noticed that the Daily Mail have now been running the merger story - they've never even spoken with me and don't even mention the book. They're always quick to highlight negative stories about present day City and interview other people producing books on City (from an angle that it's no longer the club it was, blah, blah, blah). It would've been nice if they'd actually spoken with me and I could have explained properly the story.

I don't want to labour the point, but imagine a 600-page and 250K-word definitive history of Manchester United were produced and the MEN decided to run a feature on it. Does anyone think they'd focus on, say, City allowing United to share Maine Road? Maybe my cynicism is unfair, but I find that idea very diffcult to believe.

Anyway, I'll stop going on about it because it will detract from a thread about the book itself. And if anyone wants information about that before deciding whether or not to purchase, I'd suggest they look at the Amazon reviews it has: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0955812771/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1.

They're uniformly favourable and rightly so. There's one from the esteemed Ric, who runs this site, which concludes as follows:

It is the definitive book about City, essential reading for anyone serious about the club, and is the standard by which all club histories should be judged. We are fortunate and privileged as City fans to have such a lovingly constructed account of our rich history. If you only purchase one book about the club then ensure it is this one.

My copy arrived from Amazon a week or so ago, I also bought David Conn's book at the same time. Gary's City book is amazing, it weighs a ton....it's substantial in more ways than one. I felt like a kid at Xmas with this book, looking through all the great photos in the book. To date, I've only read about a third but the initial years sets the picture for what is to come and is very interesting.

IcriedwhenTueartleft said:
My copy arrived from Amazon a week or so ago, I also bought David Conn's book at the same time. Gary's City book is amazing, it weighs a ton....it's substantial in more ways than one. I felt like a kid at Xmas with this book, looking through all the great photos in the book. To date, I've only read about a third but the initial years sets the picture for what is to come and is very interesting.

Thanks for those great comments. Much appreciated.

I hope the MEN's focus on the possible merger hasn't impacted anyone's decision to buy/read the book. I'm convinced any fan no matter what age/interest will find something interesting in there.

I only wanted to produce a book that celebrates City's entire history and deliberately tried to avoid some of the 'lazy' cliche style City writing. I wanted every Blue to be proud of what City have achieved not just in 2011 & 2012 but in every year.

This club has n incredible history and one that truly deserves to be treated with reverence by all. Ever since Joshua Parlby gave City a long term vision in 1894 the Blues have been a force of good in the game. Like most Mancunians City have experienced problems and issues over the years and have had to fight the establishment/established order, and all Mancunians should be proud of that. Our history is not a sanitised one and I hope that shines through.

I am proud of everything City has achieved in football and believe we should shout about City's successes and not be defined by those that tell us we're second to anyone.

I wish more media people would focus onCiy's history of success more and I will keep on trying to accurately record our true history of achievements at the heart of football.

It truly is an amazing read upto now ( first world war) . Looking forward to the rest of the book. A great insight into the history of this great club.

summerseat blue said:
It truly is an amazing read upto now ( first world war) . Looking forward to the rest of the book. A great insight into the history of this great club.

Thanks for those comments - it actually gets better after WW1 as well (or at least City's story does).

For anyone wondering.... Waterstones have the book more or less nationwide but you can check your nearest branch stocking the book at: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayStockAvailability.do?sku=9019528&excludeProductfromRC=false&reserveForCollection=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesw ... tion=false</a>

Amazon and the book depository have it of course - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Manchester-City-Years-Gary-James/9780955812774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Manches ... 0955812774</a> are offering free worldwide postage (an absolute bargain at cover price or less!).

In Manchester as well as Waterstones the National Football Museum have a few signed copies left, and MCFC have it in both stores.

Thanks to everyone who has bought the book. Have a great Christmas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.