Manchester The City Years Kindle edition now available

Re: On sale now - Manchester The City Years

citykev28 said:
I've spent £50 on amazon today and am now gutted I've not ordered this. I will have it during 2013.

That's a pity. It's a small print run - 3,000 copies - but should be a few available for next few months at least. Obviously Amazon have copies (usually cheapest) but most Waterstones branches also have copies now. There are also copies signed by me at the National Football Museum in Manchester.

Hope you get hold of it soon. Thanks.

On sale now - Manchester The City Years

Anyone looking for a birthday present for a strong Blue,can't fail to be impressed by this book,well written and bursting with info.

WEMBLEY76 said:
Anyone looking for a birthday present for a strong Blue,can't fail to be impressed by this book,well written and bursting with info.

It's a fantastic book, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

The only thing I'd say is that I wouldn't advise you to buy it for someone who doesn't have a deep interest in reading about City history in detail. It's a huge book (hundreds of thousands of words), and that might be a bit much for someone who's just looking for an overview or flavour of how the club has evolved. Gary's 'Big Book of City' would probably be a better bet for that kind of reader if you can get hold of it.

However, anyone seriously interested in our past has to have 'Manchester - The City Years'. And if you fall into that category, then I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.

You are probably already aware of it Gary but the book has got a really positive write up in this month's When Saturday Comes magazine.

Dan - yeah, just seen it. Thanks. Very happy overall with the review. Even the criticism is something I believe City fans will be happy with. For anyone who hasn't seen it the review criticises me by saying "James never misses an opportunity to defend the club, criticise its critics and highlight any occasions where he feels they've been the victim of unfair treatment or media bias" - I'm happy with that as I've produced evidence which backs up my viewpoint in the book.

I am currently about half way through the book and have found it fascinating. Especially the early history which you hear very little of these days - the information about the scuttlers and motives behind the formation of the club was really interesting. What I didn't realise until now was how many times we were on the cusp of long-term success only for it to go wrong... the FA's stitch-up of City in the early 1900s (something UEFA are trying to do now with a bit more subtlety) and subsequent loss of players, the War starting just as City were gaining momentum, and of course the well documented golden age under Mercer which should have led to us becoming a top club consistently but didn't. Hopefully that sustained success is here to stay now. :)

LoveCity said:
I am currently about half way through the book and have found it fascinating. Especially the early history which you hear very little of these days - the information about the scuttlers and motives behind the formation of the club was really interesting. What I didn't realise until now was how many times we were on the cusp of long-term success only for it to go wrong... the FA's stitch-up of City in the early 1900s (something UEFA are trying to do now with a bit more subtlety) and subsequent loss of players, the War starting just as City were gaining momentum, and of course the well documented golden age under Mercer which should have led to us becoming a top club consistently but didn't. Hopefully that sustained success is here to stay now. :)

Thanks for those comments. Glad you've gained something and noticed those points. Big issue with the end of Mercer & Allison is that it was people desperate for control of the club who caused the main issues and then those same people continued to run City into the ground in the decades that followed. That's the saddest part of our history for me.

Update on book availability - Cornerhouse will be stocking copies of "Manchester The City Years", "Joe Mercer, OBE: Football With A Smile" & "Manchester A Football History" for the MCFC film night on 26th April. If you're coming along then I'll be happy to sign copies before or after (might be worth getting pressies early for Father's Day etc.?).

The National Football Museum, MCFC and Waterstones also stock the books in the city centre (but not WHS!).

Ebooks - my publisher has made the text from the opening chapters of "Manchester The City Years" available as a text-only kindle book. It contains almost 35,000 words and has been made available at less than £2 for a trial period. In the next couple of days they intend to post a similar section covering the period 2009-2012 and if those 2 are popular then they'll make the entire text available.

If you're wondering whether the book's worth buying or not take a look at the ebook text only version at amazon:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manchester-The-City-Years-ebook/dp/B00C1MDLA6/ref=zg_bs_1040524_7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manchester-The- ... _1040524_7</a>

A fine piece of work. I'm a 90s born Blue so it really helped me to get to grips with the years just before I was born. Dad took me very young, aged 3 in 1994, so to get a written insight into the 80s stuff was very much appreciated. It has everything, the beginning of the book in particular shows real depth in research. Good job.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.