Manchester The City Years Kindle edition now available

Re: On sale now - Manchester The City Years

Book looks great, hopefully I'll be able to grab a copy.

I'm an aspiring sports journalist and I've got my own blog backofthenetfootball.wordpress.com, would appreciate it some of you could have a look at it. Majority of pieces are on city but there is some on other teams and leagues aswell. Any feedback is appreiated.

Cheers
Josh

A quick update for those who want to buy the book but haven't had chance yet.

I have been assured by Kitbag that it will be in both City Stores by the time of this weekend's game. They had a delivery 13 days ago, so they've got stock but it's just not been put on display yet. But hopefully you'll be able to see the book in store this weekend.

Waterstones Deansgate have a supply of copies signed by me. As do the National Football Museum shop.

Amazon now appear to have a supply and, as usual, they seem to be undercutting all others.

If you haven't seen the book yet, have a look at it and see what you think.

If you're going to buy off Amazon use the link through Bluemoon's history pages (it benefits Bluemoon). There's a good review on Amazon now (thanks to whoever you are, much appreciated).

I'll also be at the Warrington and the Halifax Supp Club branches soon to talk about the book.

As always Gary the book is simply another addition of yours that every City supporter should own. I can't give it any higher praise than if your a Blue then go and buy it now. Really enjoyed the evening of the book launch, although BTH got me a little pissed beforehand (doesn't take much these days). I bought 2 books on the night, one for myself and another as a present for a friend and fuck me they're so heavy and packed with info it was hard work carrying the two around getting both signed by as many ex-blues as possible.

On sale now - Manchester The City Years

It was in the Market St store last night,downstairs on the back wall.

Gary - started reading the book cover to cover and it's a great read so far. Have to admit I did wonder whether I would find some of the very early history that interesting but it is...found it fascinating.
Couple of questions so far..

1. The blue plaque shown on a photo in the early chapters marking the site of the 1st game....looks to be on the side of one of the houses in "Shameless" land. I believe some of these (if not all) are due to be demolished soon...any plans to preserve the plaque?
2. Any idea why St. Mark's Rectory was so far away from the church (looks to be have been a good half mile away)?

Thanks to Russell (whoever you are) - I've just noticed your review on Amazon and would like to say Cheers. Much appreciated. Like that you got a mention in of Bluemoon as well (I received help from various Bluemooners during the research & writing, so thanks again).

The book should now be in most Waterstones - if they don't have it near you ask them to stock it and email my publishers - accounts@manchesterfootball.org and they'll try and sort it out.

WHSmith have so far refused to stock the book however! Hopefully that will change - if anyone from WHS can help get this sorted, again email my publishers.

Thanks again to all who have helped/commented.

Gary James said:
Thanks to Russell (whoever you are) - I've just noticed your review on Amazon and would like to say Cheers. Much appreciated. Like that you got a mention in of Bluemoon as well (I received help from various Bluemooners during the research & writing, so thanks again).

The book should now be in most Waterstones - if they don't have it near you ask them to stock it and email my publishers - accounts@manchesterfootball.org and they'll try and sort it out.

WHSmith have so far refused to stock the book however! Hopefully that will change - if anyone from WHS can help get this sorted, again email my publishers.

Thanks again to all who have helped/commented.

You're welcome mate,i'm subscriber 78.Anything to get as many blues as possible to buy that book and learn their rich and interesting history,its amazing what you're doing mate producing books like that,long may it continue ! Good to see you back in the matchday programme too on satdi.

interpol said:
Gary - started reading the book cover to cover and it's a great read so far. Have to admit I did wonder whether I would find some of the very early history that interesting but it is...found it fascinating.
Couple of questions so far..

1. The blue plaque shown on a photo in the early chapters marking the site of the 1st game....looks to be on the side of one of the houses in "Shameless" land. I believe some of these (if not all) are due to be demolished soon...any plans to preserve the plaque?
2. Any idea why St. Mark's Rectory was so far away from the church (looks to be have been a good half mile away)?

Glad you are so interested. For me it was important to get the early history properly (or at least as properly as we can) recorded. That's why the book starts around 30 years before the team ever kicked a football.

It all sets the scene and proves that the roots of the Club go right back to the development of that part of Manchester.

Now the answers....

1. The plaque used to be on the now boarded up Aces pub. Once it closed someone stole the plaque. I took the photo about 5 years ago and the plaque went about 3 years ago.

2. No conclusive answer (others are researching this much more indepth than I am at the moment though). There are a few factors... main one may simply be that this was a much nicer part of the parish (considered a more well-to-do area back then). Also, it was still within the St. Mark's parish and may have been an attempt at ensuring St. Mark's 'staked its claim' to a ever-growing area.

There were debates between Rev Connell and neighbouring parishes on what boundaries should be and he did lose part of his parish when St Benedict's was built (ironically this means that the area where the old Hyde Rd ground was had been in St Marks parish in 1860s & 1870s).

The Connells didn't live in the rectory (it hadn't been built) during the 1860s and they lived on Hyde Road itself back then. Maybe Arthur felt he needed to have the family in a more gentrified area?

Some of City's earliest managers lived close to the St Mark's rectory - Lawrence Furniss and Sam Ormerod definitely did.

Hope this helps. I hope you continue to enjoy reading the book.

It took me a long time to research and write, so I do enjoy hearing how people find it and hop it does inspire everyone to learn more about the Club's entire history. Thanks.

there is another new book that you need to buy it is a photo book with the pics taken by sharon latham and the are some great images in there , it is called champions uncut go buy it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.