Manchester's Characters

The Ox said:
Big G said:
The Ox said:
What about the legend who looked like Mr Motivator who was a major presence around the 90's in Royales & 21's ? Was a really decent bloke if not a little eccentric !

Clive?

noonoo76_CLIVE.jpg
Nah not him, I know who you mean though, that guy was from the Hitman and Her ^^^
The guy I mean wore glasses and I'm sure he was the toilet attendant in 21's.
I'm sure I saw him on Market Street not long ago in the afternoon wearing a Tucedo and Dickiebow.

Ox, do you mean Paul who used to work in Royale's/21 Picc ? Little bloke who looked a bit like Kid Creole ?

Remember lots of the others mentioned but so, so chuffed a good few of you remember Seafood Man. I'd love his shout for seafood ad a ring tone!

Anyone remember the rasta chap that hung round the edges of the gay village knocking out weed for a fiver?

It was feckin oregano & basil with grass clippings. Made that mistake but only once.

Is Rockworld still going? Only ever went in a couple of times but there was always a character sat in the back room (think there was a pool table or a bar football table if memory serves correct) with his girlfriend sat on his lap, banging merrily away.

BTH said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
In 20 years time, on this forum, we'll be saying
''remember that twat who stood in the middle of Market Street with those fucking annoying bird whistles''

He needs a good twatting!

Yes.

Saw the singing bus driver a few months ago. Don't know if he ever was a bus driver but I think he wore/wears a GM Buses uniform.

Tony he's called used to wear that horrible brown uniform they used to have. Not seen him for years but recently seen a guy the spit of him round Crumpsall, daren't ask him though imagine if he didnt have an echo mike in his pocket.

Anyway, what about Frank the tramp always round the old Picc bus station with his moth eaten cap?

the chap that owned the Conti (RIP) was a great bloke, kept a very orderly queue up on to the street so you KNEW it was the place to be!

Bloody hell! The Conti!!! How could I forget!! Loads of rum 'uns in there.

Anybody remember the guy with the burger van, late 70's early 80's at the bottom of the ramp to Oxford Road station.
The van was rammy and he always told his story of when he was in the Navy in the war and his mates were eaten by sharks.
We always reckoned he was selling what was left of him in the burgers.

There was also a mad Irish woman (same time) who used to drink (and fight/ row) in the pubs around Market Street and when she walked in you could feel a hush.
I remember seeing to bouncers one night and their expression when they saw her said 'Oh fuck me. Please not tonight'.
I can't remember her name now.

Edit; Mad woman was more like late 80's.

I was too young but a mate of mine who's in his 60's used to run pubs in Salford. He always tells us of a character called Vinegar Vera - sounds like it could be her?

How about the guy that used to run the 2nd hand book/comic shop on Shudehill that had one, maybe 2 false hands (and, knowing this forum - probably a wooden leg too!)?

strongbowholic said:
I was too young but a mate of mine who's in his 60's used to run pubs in Salford. He always tells us of a character called Vinegar Vera - sounds like it could be her?

Vinegar Vera is famous.

<a class="postlink" href="http://locallegend.webs.com/manchesternorth.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://locallegend.webs.com/manchesternorth.htm</a>

Vinegar Vera, Salford
In 1975/6 I worked as a porter/clerk in the casualty department of Salford Royal Hospital(now, alas, gentrified and turned into apartments). Vera was a regular in the department. She'd either taken an overdose (allegedly) or was simply drunk. She had this weedy guy for a boyfriend who she'd regularly kick shit out of. Her medical records were about six inches thick because of the number of times she'd been in the department. We had a special drawer where we kept all the records for the 'regulars' as we called them. Good old Vera had pride of place. She also used to drink in The Lima Arms on Peru Street, sometimes.
Wonder if she's still alive?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.