mancini on sky sport

BillyShears said:
taconinja said:
I find myself in agreement with your last paragraph and bewildered by the others. It just goes to show how different things are in different locations.

Absolutely, here's another one for you. Can you imagine the uproar if a transcript of a conversation between Mancini and a senior player, during training, turned up in the British media ? Exactly what happened at Madrid last season. In Marca no less, the Real Madrid mouthpiece. Now that's sinister.

What's rattled me about the last four or five days isn't the story itself (it's a non story really) - but the manner in which we've allowed it to grow because unless I'm way off base, Mancini's loss of temper today will garner even more headlines about pressure.
If that had happened here--let's just use the NFL for example since it's our biggest sport--the journalist would be done as far as even getting into a stadium or press conference. To further the example, we just had this past summer a big scandal break with the New Orleans team where they were paying for bounties. The journalist secretly videotaped members of the team talking about it. It's caused a lot of problems for them and the league. The reporter went to those lengths due to the NFL's not-so-secret policy of destroying the evidence if they get their hands on it, throwing out a few suspensions, and the pretending the events never really happened while blacklisting the journalist. As is, the journalist will probably never get any access at all anywhere and other leagues will pay attention too. They can't bar him access, but no one will talk to him.

I mean, we had a the champion team dead to rights as having secretly videotaped their opposition's practice sessions and the NFL blatantly destroyed those tapes and handed out some fines. That's it other than doing their best to discourage journalists from digging deeper.

taconinja said:
BillyShears said:
taconinja said:
I find myself in agreement with your last paragraph and bewildered by the others. It just goes to show how different things are in different locations.

Absolutely, here's another one for you. Can you imagine the uproar if a transcript of a conversation between Mancini and a senior player, during training, turned up in the British media ? Exactly what happened at Madrid last season. In Marca no less, the Real Madrid mouthpiece. Now that's sinister.

What's rattled me about the last four or five days isn't the story itself (it's a non story really) - but the manner in which we've allowed it to grow because unless I'm way off base, Mancini's loss of temper today will garner even more headlines about pressure.
If that had happened here--let's just use the NFL for example since it's our biggest sport--the journalist would be done as far as even getting into a stadium or press conference. To further the example, we just had this past summer a big scandal break with the New Orleans team where they were paying for bounties. The journalist secretly videotaped members of the team talking about it. It's caused a lot of problems for them and the league. The reporter went to those lengths due to the NFL's not-so-secret policy of destroying the evidence if they get their hands on it, throwing out a few suspensions, and the pretending the events never really happened while blacklisting the journalist. As is, the journalist will probably never get any access at all anywhere and other leagues will pay attention too. They can't bar him access, but no one will talk to him.

I mean, we had a the champion team dead to rights as having secretly videotaped their opposition's practice sessions and the NFL blatantly destroyed those tapes and handed out some fines. That's it other than doing their best to discourage journalists from digging deeper.

Interesting - and do you agree with the way in which the NFL deals with journalists in situations like this ?

BillyShears said:
taconinja said:
BillyShears said:

Interesting - and do you agree with the way in which the NFL deals with journalists in situations like this ?
As a citizen? Hell no. As a fan? Maybe because it protects sports I enjoy even if it goes against my other instincts. But as a strategy? Yes. It keeps the brand at optimal marketing value. You have to understand that the profit-sharing structure of the NFL is at work, too. New Orleans doesn't have a sponsorship deal. They're explicitly not allowed to have those as all sponsorships must be league-approved and must be shared among the teams. It's in the interest of the NFL to keep controversies quiet.

SSNakesTV now blathering on about Mancini's 'extraordinary outburst'. There's nothing EXTRAORDINARY about it. Wasn't an outburst. It was a natural reaction to a question that should have been fucked off along with the journo who asked it! Wenger, Ferguson, RedCrapp would have gone ballistic. Indeed, they would not have had the opportunity to go ballistic 'cos any journo at The Swamp or The Emirates would not have had the balls to ask it. Why MCFC put up with this constant crap is beyond me. We should deal with it the way you would deal with any shite dumped on yer doorstep. Bin it!

taconinja said:
As a citizen? Hell no. As a fan? Maybe because it protects sports I enjoy even if it goes against my other instincts. But as a strategy? Yes. It keeps the brand at optimal marketing value. You have to understand that the profit-sharing structure of the NFL is at work, too. New Orleans doesn't have a sponsorship deal. They're explicitly not allowed to have those as all sponsorships must be league-approved and must be shared among the teams. It's in the interest of the NFL to keep controversies quiet.

I think the kind of controversy we generally generate in Football in England (i say generally as I exclude the racism stuff of the last 12 months) is storm in a teacup stuff. As I said earlier, the British press have an amazing knack for taking a player/manager/team from zero to hero in 7 days. Don't think that type of stuff really hurts the image of the PL, and certainly the current tv rights deals would suggest we're comfortably a global brand with a fantastic image.

Can't say I love the idea of a big authoritarian blanket to cover up the game's ills ala the NFL. I think I'd rather things as they currently are - just with the added caveat of City operating with a little more foresight within it ... :)

Siege mentality required here - baton down the hatches and a ban for those who flout the rules when in a conference with OUR manager. CTWD

i am talking to you the way i wanna talk to you. if mancini spoke like this, it would not bother me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_trSpg99yc[/youtube]

I see Stuart Brennan is online - Stuart was it you who asked the question which so raised Mancini's ire today. I did detect a twang of Northern in the accent of whoever did the asking ....

r.soleofsalford said:
hertsblue said:
About time someone at the club did in all honesty

a mate just phoned me to say bobs gone off at some reporters in a press conference

said he`s sick of reporters asking stupid questions about his players and question bobs managing abilities after winning the fa cup and premiership,

He's not the only one.

BillyShears said:
I see Stuart Brennan is online - Stuart was it you who asked the question which so raised Mancini's ire today. I did detect a twang of Northern in the accent of whoever did the asking ....

Doubt it was Brennan....red or not he has been fighting our corner whether it be on talkshite or ESPN like on saturday....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.