Mancini or Pep era?

Of course the football has been much better under Pep. It’s the best football ever played on these shores imo.

But I grew up watching City home and away and thought we’d never win a trophy. Never humiliate the shite at Old Trafford and certainly never win the league.

Mancini achieved all 3.

He also bought Silva, Aguero and Yaya. And turned Kompany from a decent holding midfielder into the best centre half in the world.

Pep’s a better manager, without any question. But ripping the banner down, standing up to Slurgie, and that Aguero moment will never be bettered by any manager. Impossible.

Of course the football has been much better under Pep. It’s the best football ever played on these shores imo.

But I grew up watching City home and away and thought we’d never win a trophy. Never humiliate the shite at Old Trafford and certainly never win the league.

Mancini achieved all 3.

He also bought Silva, Aguero and Yaya. And turned Kompany from a decent holding midfielder into the best centre half in the world.

Pep’s a better manager, without any question. But ripping the banner down, standing up to Slurgie, and that Aguero moment will never be bettered by any manager. Impossible.
Yes yes but he wasn't always nice to Chappy so I think you need to re-think your ranking on this one...........

Pep is the better coach, just fantastic. But I fucking loved Bobby and told him when I saw him out jogging near FIFA HQ a couple of years ago. I was on my bike with a City hat on and he clocked it as I rode passed in the opposite direction. I turned round and when back to him just to say thanks. What a nice guy.

Last edited:
Pep wouldn’t have developed the Kompany and Zabaleta Mancini inherited - he’d have just bought replacements. I have a feeling John Stones’ under Roberto would have become the complete defender, rather than the regressed £50m flop he is today.

Mancini took over a club in a much stronger league - the United dynasty were still getting to European Cup finals, Chelsea were in the best ever era with genuine world class talent like Terry, Lampard, Cech, Cole, Deogba etc; Arsenal has Fabregas, Van Persie......even Tottenham had Van Der Vaart, Modric, Bale. It was a genuinely elite league, and he conquered it.

Pep came here on the back of Leicester winning it, then a relatively poor Chelsea team that broke the points record for a season, and has now been eclipsed by a dubious Liverpool team that was on course to accrue a points total that exceeds those set by us and Chelsea, with a first 11 that would have gotten anhialated by their 2008 team of Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, peak Torres that never won a trophy due to the strength of the competition.

If more points have been acquired by a raft of mediocre teams around our title wins, it ultimately exposes a collective lack of quality in the league, and puts Pep’s achievements into perspective - especially when you factor in the unprecedented depth of quality he’s been able to stockpile.

I was never a big Pellegrini fan, but when you look at his record of 1 title in 3 compared to Pep’s 2 in 4, with significantly worse players, thene even he deserves more respect; would Guardiola have done more with Navas, Fernando, Javi Garcia, Mangala, Negredo etc? I’m not sure.

Mancini redefined the club, and his victories felt like achievements, whereas Pep’s were inevitabilities due to the circumstances.

Bobby era, then the Eriksson season for me - in terms of synchronicity with the club, the characters on the pitch, and most enjoyable match-going experiences.

Pep is the better coach, just fantastic. But I fucking loved Bobby and told him when I saw him out jogging near FIFA HQ a couple of years ago. I was on my bike with a City hat on and he clocked it as I road passed in the opposite direction. I turned round and when back to him just to say thanks. What a nice guy.
Nice story

Pep is a country mile the better coach/manager, BUT, Roberto tore down that banner AND took on the Glasgow Piss can on face to face, for that he will have my utter and total respect till the day I die.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.