Mancini: We will need 24 good players next season

DenisLawBackHeel74

Mancini: We will need 24 good players next season

By Ian Herbert

Saturday, 21 May 2011
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini exposed the substantial gulf in thinking between himself and his club's board yesterday when he insisted that this summer offers the chance for a last major spend before Uefa financial fair play (FFP) rules kick in.

Though the club's chairman Khaldon al-Mubarak said on Wednesday that FFP was integral to City's thinking and that "a couple" of players could be expected, Mancini said that his conversations with the chairman told him something different. "I read that people said we can spend the money [this summer] but I don't know," Mancini said, who insisted he wanted "all" his new players in place before the next season starts. Mancini said he would need a strong 11 players to operate in the Champions League and another group for league competition three days later. "It's really difficult if you don't have 23 or 24 good players," he said. When City football administrator Brian Marwood's observation that there would be only "tinkering" to the squad this summer was put to Mancini – a word which journalists asked be translated – he shook his head. "I don't understand this word," he said.

There is bafflement among Carlos Tevez's representatives as to how an interview with Argentina's Radio del Plata could have been rewritten in an English press report yesterday to say that he has made up his mind to leave City. Tevez is set to discuss his future with his family next week and then with the club.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...need-24-good-players-next-season-2287064.html

I tend to agree with mancini's comments about needing to improve the quality of our second string, they played abysmally when there were less than 5 or 6 first team regulars early in the season.

Interesting suggestion that the Argentinian interview was mis-quoted.

it's a bit discomforting on how Mancini's and the upper management interviews and quotes are so out of sync.

Andouble said:
it's a bit discomforting on how Mancini's and the upper management interviews and quotes are so out of sync.

I'm of the opinion that we will spend around £150 million in summer. £30-£50 of this from sale of loan players (£80 mill if you include Tevez) and the rest cash from our owners.

I think Mansour and Marwood will be negotiating the deals so there is a clear advantage in telling all and sundry you are only in the market for 1 or 2 players, lets not forget we need to sell too so better to let your competitors think you don't need the money for a war chest to buy 5 or so players with.

Gervinho, a pacey, skilled winger/striker who can bag 15 goals for only 6m. Gael Clichy for 5m or Jose Enrique for 8m. Chris Samba for 8m.

Bobby can find deals if he wants a fuller squad without stretching the wallet.

He should have exactly what he needs within reason.

Mountains out of molehills. He says he doesn't understand ''tinkering'', he means it literally and there was no way Khaldoon was going to say we'll sign 5 or 6 players even if that will be the case.

I think that this summer we will undoubtedly make a few 'big' signings but this will be to strengthen our squad, not to create a whole new one. I think the difference in opinions are just to do with the media rather than the Manager and owner themselves, both know that they have to strengthen the squad, but while one suggested it was 'tinkering' one said it was spending to change the squad.

Both correct, but the context is different I guess...

Expect that this summer we make a few 'big' midfield signings (where football is played nowadays) and otherwise just EDS signings for the future. Because even if they don't work out, we still get a good return on our investment.

Who ever is named in a squad should be good enough. If they are not they should'nt be there (bye bye Jo) That is why when a team is fined for playing a weaken team it is a farce.

First we have to stop spending 20-25 millions for average players. Agents and teams think management is stupid by making City pay more than a player's worth.

Mancini needs to be a bit less reckless in transfer markets.

I trust our club totally, the gamesmanship they are playing with the media is brilliant, let's wait and see in august when yet again the club will astound us with it's transfer dealings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.