Mancini's selection and tactics

cibaman said:
Mancini seems to be prepared to sacrifice early season form and results for the sake of getting things right for the season as a whole.

He's made sure that all of the new signings have had opportunities. He's experimented with different systems. He's decided to ease Silva into the season.

He could simply have stuck with last season's system and personnel (to the extent that they are fit), concentrated on getting a good start and then ease in the new players. But he's clearly searching for that extra 10% improvement. At least he cannot be accused of being complacent.
Would there not be a case to say that doing this and hoping to achieve a good points tally and get something in Madrid is being complacent?

As it goes I don't honk he's got much wrong. Taking Edin off yesterday was something that he did get wrong.

cookster said:
salfordblues said:
Pam said:
Moronic thread.

Pathetic response.

The OP has gone too far in his criticism of Mancini but there's a few valid arguments made in the thread as a whole. This is not a Mancini out thread, it's a discussion about certain decisions he's made and whether or not they have had a positive effect and whether in fact there was a better option to take.

Gone too far in his criticism

WTF I didn't criticise at all. It was an open question expressing what I view to be the minimum acheivement based on the squad we have at our disposal.

As for Pam's comments on it being moronic, I just look at your posting history and LOL

Is he worth than the sum of the parts? Of course he is. He has made some individual mistakes this season with team selection and tactics. However, he answered your question emphatically last season by delivering us with our first title in 44 years.

Secondly, you suggested that to not make the Champions League quarter finals would be a failure. Even if we get through this group (which is probably harder than last years), we're likely to run in to Barca, Bayern or another top side.

Getting out of this group would be progression and would be sufficient for me, the majority of fans and crucially for the owners. As was said above if we get knocked on away goals by Barca are you going to deem that a failure?

LeKoa said:
Some of the comments on this thread are beyond parody.

5 games in, no losses, two difficult away points at Stoke and Arsenal, and only the second concession of points at home in almost two years. Why the panic?

Yes,we haven't found any rhythm yet this season - but it has happening now and not mid-season as it did in the last campaign.

Mancini's second-half tactics were spot on. He was let down by the players. Mancini elected to allow Arsenal to have possession but contain them in the middle of the field - hence, Rodwell replaces Sinclair. This strategy dictates that you must be clinical on the counter-attack when you regain possession. On at least four occasions, Silva and Yaya failed to do this. As a team, we are used to possession and slowly creeping into the opposition box. It just didn't work out yesterday. A draw was a fair result.

So far this season, Kompany, Silva, and Mancini have all faltered slightly on match day. They have also all signed new, five-year contracts.

Why? Because they are class - and the foundation of the club (amongst others).

Some of the frankly embarrassing knee-jerk reactions on this thread point towards johnny-come-lately 'fans' who couldn't gauge progress if it bit them in the arse.

Patience is a virtue.

Some of you should try it.

Forza Mancini.
you were dying to mention York away, weren't you?

Mancini set us up badly wrong with the flat midfield 4 in the first half, which nullified silva and yaya's attacking threat. He put it right at half time with the Rodwell sub but went 4312 instead of 4231, leaving us a touch deep. We still should have put the game to bed On the break but yaya and silva misfired. Then he lost the plot as they got on top.

I agree, it's nothing more than a bad day at the office for him and our top players. But to disparage those who are commenting on this thread as 'johnny cum latelys' is kids stuff.

The manager and the players had a bad day. Commenting on it is what proper football fans do in the pub and on forums. 'patience is a virtue' is what tub-thumping clowns say.

LeKoa said:
Some of the comments on this thread are beyond parody.

5 games in, no losses, two difficult away points at Stoke and Arsenal, and only the second concession of points at home in almost two years. Why the panic?

Yes,we haven't found any rhythm yet this season - but it has happening now and not mid-season as it did in the last campaign.

Mancini's second-half tactics were spot on. He was let down by the players. Mancini elected to allow Arsenal to have possession but contain them in the middle of the field - hence, Rodwell replaces Sinclair. This strategy dictates that you must be clinical on the counter-attack when you regain possession. On at least four occasions, Silva and Yaya failed to do this. As a team, we are used to possession and slowly creeping into the opposition box. It just didn't work out yesterday. A draw was a fair result.

So far this season, Kompany, Silva, and Mancini have all faltered slightly on match day. They have also all signed new, five-year contracts.

Why? Because they are class - and the foundation of the club (amongst others).

Some of the frankly embarrassing knee-jerk reactions on this thread point towards johnny-come-lately 'fans' who couldn't gauge progress if it bit them in the arse.

Patience is a virtue.

Some of you should try it.

Forza Mancini.

UNderstand and completely agree with most of what you are saying BUT the performances are so far below what we had last season .....it could be because players are fresh after the world cup (esp Silva) a couple of injuries (Aguero and richards) and that he is trying to bed in new players as well.....but Im unsure about some of his selections and the purchase of garcia as a replacement for dejong (which he clearly isnt ...defensively anyway!)

I have always thought that Ferguson is a pretty poor tactician. His style of play is functional rather than sophisticated. The great beauty of his system is that it creates loads of chances so that they win when they are playing shit. At least in England.

However in Europe they are frequently embarrassed by teams with more technique. Due to his protected species status he is rarely criticized in the press. He blew an 8 point lead. Deafening silence from the redtops and broadsheets alike. We have had a slightly stuttering start and the knives are out for RM already.

We are the opposite of United in that we are trying to play modern football. Although beaten in Madrid we are getting there.

Mancini is juggling with players, new and old, style and system.

Hence their is an element of confusion. But like Chelsea, under Mourinho, we are very difficult to beat even when poor.

Hopefully the butterfly will emerge from its chrysalis soon.

my english is too poor so maybe i dont understand what 'johnny come (cum) latelys' really means....

anyway i think there are a lot of thats 'johnny come (cum) latelys' here.

at least everybody that in their life never saw their team playing on a sunday game after having played real madrid midweek and consequently criticising their own team without understand what kind of drain that sort of match bring.

all the above , obviously , if i have understood what 'johnny come (cum) latelys' is intended to means

cibaman said:
Mancini seems to be prepared to sacrifice early season form and results for the sake of getting things right for the season as a whole.

He's made sure that all of the new signings have had opportunities. He's experimented with different systems. He's decided to ease Silva into the season.

He could simply have stuck with last season's system and personnel (to the extent that they are fit), concentrated on getting a good start and then ease in the new players. But he's clearly searching for that extra 10% improvement. At least he cannot be accused of being complacent.

I agree with this,of course some fans will see it as tinkering others will have the opinion that if it's not broke don't fix it,but I see it as the way forward,also when it comes right I think we will go on a run of wins that will put the shits up the rest of them,keep the faith it's coming,it's coming.

robbieh said:
I have always thought that Ferguson is a pretty poor tactician. His style of play is functional rather than sophisticated. The great beauty of his system is that it creates loads of chances so that they win when they are playing shit. At least in England.

However in Europe they are frequently embarrassed by teams with more technique. Due to his protected species status he is rarely criticized in the press. He blew an 8 point lead. Deafening silence from the redtops and broadsheets alike. We have had a slightly stuttering start and the knives are out for RM already.

We are the opposite of United in that we are trying to play modern football. Although beaten in Madrid we are getting there.

Mancini is juggling with players, new and old, style and system.

Hence their is an element of confusion. But like Chelsea, under Mourinho, we are very difficult to beat even when poor.

Hopefully the butterfly will emerge from its chrysalis soon.

Good post

Mancio said:
my english is too poor so maybe i dont understand what 'johnny come (cum) latelys' really means....

anyway i think there are a lot of thats 'johnny come (cum) latelys' here.

at least everybody that in their life never saw their team playing on a sunday game after having played real madrid midweek and consequently criticising their own team without understand what kind of drain that sort of match bring.

all the above , obviously , if i have understood what 'johnny come (cum) latelys' is intended to means
I can give you a very simple and clear definition of 'johnny cum lately'.

Go and have a look in your mirror.

Not sure Mancini knows yet what Garcia's best position is going to be. The guy in the Times today said that Garcia is too slow for us, not sure I agree but will hold fire until we see more of him in action.
Personally I thought Kun looks slightly overweight or am I imagining that? Anyway, he should have been off and Dzeko kept on as he was holding the ball up well and using it well, he looked like his recent mini run of starts and goals was starting to breed some confidence and then Roberto hauls him off during his best performance for months....ouch.
I'd like to be more patient and patience is a virtue and all that but not, unfortunately, when you are up there challenging for titles as too many carelessly dropped points can leave you treading water.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.