Mancini's selection and tactics

Didsbury Dave said:
Mancio said:
my english is too poor so maybe i dont understand what 'johnny come (cum) latelys' really means....

anyway i think there are a lot of thats 'johnny come (cum) latelys' here.

at least everybody that in their life never saw their team playing on a sunday game after having played real madrid midweek and consequently criticising their own team without understand what kind of drain that sort of match bring.

all the above , obviously , if i have understood what 'johnny come (cum) latelys' is intended to means
I can give you a very simple and clear definition of 'johnny cum lately'.

Go and have a look in your mirror.

a picture of you would be more useful

All we need is to strike a balance in midfield,with Jimmy out and Gaz Baz still recovering the new lads are having a tough time of it just like Yaya did! We will click but I think a defeat is on the cards which should snap the squad out of their slumber. We played woefully yesterday and got a draw out of it so it aint all doom n gloom.

_dreamer_ said:
cookster said:
Simple question do you think Mancini's makes the team greater than the sum of its parts?

I think we have the best squad in the league; stronger than last year with Tevez for a full season and five quality new arrivals.

Anything less than top 2 and Champs League quarter finals should be classed as failure.

Yet some people will say that your team is nowhere that strong to reach CL finals or such. I'd like to ask that people to explain me how in earth a team like Porto managed to win CL with their squad or how it's possible that some other teams (which had notably weaker team) got so far in the CL.

The truth is that many of you are downplaying your chances just because you don't have a huge (recent) history like your neighbors. It's a mentality issue.

However, City has one of the greatest squads in Europe and it will be a shame that you don't reach the second round. The way you played last year in the CL, that was a disgrace. You were outplayed by Bayern which I might accept, but Napoli? No way, neither they are more experienced, nor they have a better team. Yet they looked much better than you.

I'll give credits for that mainly your great manager Bobby who is a good manager, but nothing more than that. I personally think that he lacks authority and some basic principles. It's ok for me that he likes some players (Aguero, Tevez, Balo - similar mentality; furhtermore, Balo is Italian) more than others (Dzeko), but what I don't like are his double standards for some players. While some players get 1000 new chances, others can pack their things after they slip up one time.

I don't see him as a world-class manager, I just don't. One would say that the players need more time together to get know each other, but come on guys, who are you kidding here? The squad hasn't changed so much in the past two years. The key players are the same, yet you're playing harder as the time goes by instead of improving. That is a fact, don't deny it.

Yes, you won the Premier League, but with the oppositions you had to face in the last year, for me it was a must. You have the strongest team, but Mancini is just not good enough to create that winning mentality like Ferguson can to with rags.

I really hope that Mancini will go (not because of Dzeko, he will probably leave the club) and that someone will come who can use the whole potential of the players you have. I know that this team is capable of doing amazing things, it just needs some guidance.

cheers
spot on

FantasyIreland said:
He's costing us points,all this unneeded tinkering is destabilising the team - resting players after 5 games??

If he carries on fucking about we will win fuck all this season.

Play your best players in their best positions in our best formation - is it really that difficult?

I've said all along,he isn't the man for us,that feeling is getting stronger.
Really true comment - What is he doing? Playing Tevez up front with no support, then dropping him for the next match!! Been so looking forward to Aguero coming back to repeat the magic of him and Tevez last season - now I'm doubting it will happen because Mancini can't seem to see what's staring him in the face - Our players are amazing, just let them play and stop changing line-up, format etc for EVERY game.

salfordblues said:
cookster said:
salfordblues said:
Pathetic response.

The OP has gone too far in his criticism of Mancini but there's a few valid arguments made in the thread as a whole. This is not a Mancini out thread, it's a discussion about certain decisions he's made and whether or not they have had a positive effect and whether in fact there was a better option to take.

Gone too far in his criticism

WTF I didn't criticise at all. It was an open question expressing what I view to be the minimum acheivement based on the squad we have at our disposal.

As for Pam's comments on it being moronic, I just look at your posting history and LOL

Is he worth than the sum of the parts? Of course he is. He has made some individual mistakes this season with team selection and tactics. However, he answered your question emphatically last season by delivering us with our first title in 44 years.

Secondly, you suggested that to not make the Champions League quarter finals would be a failure. Even if we get through this group (which is probably harder than last years), we're likely to run in to Barca, Bayern or another top side.

Getting out of this group would be progression and would be sufficient for me, the majority of fans and crucially for the owners. As was said above if we get knocked on away goals by Barca are you going to deem that a failure?

I love it when peeps quote our owners expections. You, like I haven't got a clue what they are.

The reigning Champions of England should be able to get to the last 8 of the Champions League. That by the way will be a first for Mancini.<br /><br />-- Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:06 pm --<br /><br />
Mancio said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Mancio said:
my english is too poor so maybe i dont understand what 'johnny come (cum) latelys' really means....

anyway i think there are a lot of thats 'johnny come (cum) latelys' here.

at least everybody that in their life never saw their team playing on a sunday game after having played real madrid midweek and consequently criticising their own team without understand what kind of drain that sort of match bring.

all the above , obviously , if i have understood what 'johnny come (cum) latelys' is intended to means
I can give you a very simple and clear definition of 'johnny cum lately'.

Go and have a look in your mirror.

a picture of you would be more useful

Joe Hart, Lescott or Barry's fault on Sunday Mancio? Or was it Mancini for not playing the Bestest World Class Striker Ever Mario?

Didsbury Dave said:
LeKoa said:
Some of the comments on this thread are beyond parody.

5 games in, no losses, two difficult away points at Stoke and Arsenal, and only the second concession of points at home in almost two years. Why the panic?

Yes,we haven't found any rhythm yet this season - but it has happening now and not mid-season as it did in the last campaign.

Mancini's second-half tactics were spot on. He was let down by the players. Mancini elected to allow Arsenal to have possession but contain them in the middle of the field - hence, Rodwell replaces Sinclair. This strategy dictates that you must be clinical on the counter-attack when you regain possession. On at least four occasions, Silva and Yaya failed to do this. As a team, we are used to possession and slowly creeping into the opposition box. It just didn't work out yesterday. A draw was a fair result.

So far this season, Kompany, Silva, and Mancini have all faltered slightly on match day. They have also all signed new, five-year contracts.

Why? Because they are class - and the foundation of the club (amongst others).

Some of the frankly embarrassing knee-jerk reactions on this thread point towards johnny-come-lately 'fans' who couldn't gauge progress if it bit them in the arse.

Patience is a virtue.

Some of you should try it.

Forza Mancini.
you were dying to mention York away, weren't you?

Mancini set us up badly wrong with the flat midfield 4 in the first half, which nullified silva and yaya's attacking threat. He put it right at half time with the Rodwell sub but went 4312 instead of 4231, leaving us a touch deep. We still should have put the game to bed On the break but yaya and silva misfired. Then he lost the plot as they got on top.

I agree, it's nothing more than a bad day at the office for him and our top players. But to disparage those who are commenting on this thread as 'johnny cum latelys' is kids stuff.

The manager and the players had a bad day. Commenting on it is what proper football fans do in the pub and on forums. 'patience is a virtue' is what tub-thumping clowns say.

York away is a distant memory for me and no longer a relevant reference point. We appear to agree where the problem was on Sunday. However, the clarity of your analysis is rare on this thread which is largely a succession of monosyllabic, uninformed, knee-jerk reactions. And if a 'proper football fan' said it in the pub I would tell him the same thing.

Patience IS a virtue. If you have ever managed a project in your life you would know that impact happens in stages, building on the success of the previous one. Mancini is trying to improve the squad with small changes - these will take time to bed in. I would rather start the season as we are now and then (inevitably) improve, than destroy everything in our path in the first third of the season (as we did last year) and then slump after Christmas.

Tub-thumping clown, you say? Mmmmm. Not really. Just tired of some fans' histrionics and uninformed diatribe when we don't win 5-0 each week. I assumed that City fans were a cut above the rags who generally display that kind of behaviour.

LeKoa said:
Didsbury Dave said:
LeKoa said:
Some of the comments on this thread are beyond parody.

5 games in, no losses, two difficult away points at Stoke and Arsenal, and only the second concession of points at home in almost two years. Why the panic?

Yes,we haven't found any rhythm yet this season - but it has happening now and not mid-season as it did in the last campaign.

Mancini's second-half tactics were spot on. He was let down by the players. Mancini elected to allow Arsenal to have possession but contain them in the middle of the field - hence, Rodwell replaces Sinclair. This strategy dictates that you must be clinical on the counter-attack when you regain possession. On at least four occasions, Silva and Yaya failed to do this. As a team, we are used to possession and slowly creeping into the opposition box. It just didn't work out yesterday. A draw was a fair result.

So far this season, Kompany, Silva, and Mancini have all faltered slightly on match day. They have also all signed new, five-year contracts.

Why? Because they are class - and the foundation of the club (amongst others).

Some of the frankly embarrassing knee-jerk reactions on this thread point towards johnny-come-lately 'fans' who couldn't gauge progress if it bit them in the arse.

Patience is a virtue.

Some of you should try it.

Forza Mancini.
you were dying to mention York away, weren't you?

Mancini set us up badly wrong with the flat midfield 4 in the first half, which nullified silva and yaya's attacking threat. He put it right at half time with the Rodwell sub but went 4312 instead of 4231, leaving us a touch deep. We still should have put the game to bed On the break but yaya and silva misfired. Then he lost the plot as they got on top.

I agree, it's nothing more than a bad day at the office for him and our top players. But to disparage those who are commenting on this thread as 'johnny cum latelys' is kids stuff.

The manager and the players had a bad day. Commenting on it is what proper football fans do in the pub and on forums. 'patience is a virtue' is what tub-thumping clowns say.

York away is a distant memory for me and no longer a relevant reference point. We appear to agree where the problem was on Sunday. However, the clarity of your analysis is rare on this thread which is largely a succession of monosyllabic, uninformed, knee-jerk reactions. And if a 'proper football fan' said it in the pub I would tell him the same thing.

Patience IS a virtue. If you have ever managed a project in your life you would know that impact happens in stages, building on the success of the previous one. Mancini is trying to improve the squad with small changes - these will take time to bed in. I would rather start the season as we are now and then (inevitably) improve, than destroy everything in our path in the first third of the season (as we did last year) and then slump after Christmas.

Tub-thumping clown, you say? Mmmmm. Not really. Just tired of some fans' histrionics and uninformed diatribe when we don't win 5-0 each week. I assumed that City fans were a cut above the rags who generally display that kind of behaviour.

Personally I'd like to destroy everything in our path in the first third of the season then not slump after Christmas. That would be the improvement you refer to.

But I agree, there is some kneejerking on this thread. But critical analysis of the manager and team does not make people Johnny Cum Latelys.

johnny crossan said:
cookster said:
Joe Hart, Lescott or Barry's fault on Sunday Mancio? Or was it Mancini for not playing the Bestest World Class Striker Ever Mario?
Barry played on Sunday?

No, it was a general comment aimed at Mancio. He's always slating Hart, Lescott and Barry. However Balotelli and Mancini never do any wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.