Manuel Akanji | City close to £15m agreement, 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think this one is about his flexibility. Didn't know he'd played FB. In that case, it makes a lot of sense to have him around. Gvardiol would have been ideal but the price was high - and Chelsea being able to leave him in situ for a year could have been a deciding factor for both player and Leipzig.

Also have a feeling Pep would probably be OK with us saving some pennies for the inevitable midfield refit in the next few years.

They’ll be many games like the one against Palace where both Haaland and Alvarez play together. That might result in us going to 3 at the back.

When we move to three at the back Walker staying on the pitch is a must due to his pace. However, a pacy CB lessens the reliance on Walker.

Plus, the 5 sub rule is a game changer and will allow plenty of players to get minutes. Especially, as Palmer is the only academy player who will get proper game time this season.

Pep's press conference was at 1.30pm & this news broke with certainty around 3pm. When asked if we were done for this transfer window, Pep was very vague, but gave zero clue that something was bubbling.

Interestingly, aside from the usual Haaland questions, Pep was grilled about having to keep coming back from two goals down & if he was concerned about our defence, especially as we've got Aké & Laporté out, Dias not looking 100% fit & with Stones always liable to get an injury.

Guardiola looked a bit prickly when questioned, but considering we'll start playing thrice a week very soon, having only 2 fit senior CB's is risky business.

Akanji clocked the 5th fastest sprint in the Bundesliga last season & he can play in a back three, at RB & LB too.

"It's clear that Manuel's a really good footballer with real pace. We knew he could play left-back, and he didn't disappoint." - former Dortmund coach Peter Stöger after Akanji deputised for Marcel Schmelzer at left-back in a Bundesliga match against Bayer Leverkusen

Apparently he told Dortmund in January that he wouldn't extend his contract & wanted a fresh challenge. With this in mind & the player approaching the final year of hiss contract, Dortmund brought in two CB's & Akanji was frozen out & is being allowed to leave for a relatively cheap price for an International Bundeliga player approaching his peak.

I can't see him being a panic buy, as City don't work like that. Apparently ManUre, Arsenal, Inter & Milan all showed strong interest in the player. I suppose it makes a change for us to sign a ManUre target. Talking about Old Toilet, this kid is apparently a lifelong Rag, but that won't be an issue.

Is there major concerns with Aké & Laporté? Does this signing signal the possibility of 3-5-2 using wing-backs? Or is there just general concern over the fitness of our defence overall?

I wanted another couple of bodies in this window, but thought a top class senior LB was an evident defensive priority over another CB. I think we also need a top class Left Winger to complete this season's squad rebuild.

I suppose we'll all find out soon enough where & how Akanji fits into our plans... )(

Last edited:
Pep's press conference was at 1.30pm & this news broke with certainty around 3pm. When asked if we were done for this transfer window, Pep was very vague, but gave zero clue that something was bubbling.

Interestingly, aside from the usual Haaland questions, Pep was grilled about having to keep coming back from two goals down & if he was concerned about our defence, especially as we've got Aké & Laporté out, Dias not looking 100% fit & with Stones always liable to get an injury.

Guardiola looked a bit prickly when questioned, but considering we'll start playing thrice a week very soon, having only 2 fit senior CB's is risky business.

Akanji clocked the 5th fastest sprint in the Bundesliga last season & he can play in a back three, at RB & LB too.

"It's clear that Manuel's a really good footballer with real pace. We knew he could play left-back, and he didn't disappoint." - former Dortmund coach Peter Stöger after Akanji deputised for Marcel Schmelzer at left-back in a Bundesliga match against Bayer Leverkusen

Apparently he told Dortmund in January that he wouldn't extend his contract & wanted a fresh challenge. With this in mind & the player approaching the final year of hiss contract, Dortmund brought in two CB's & Akanji was frozen out & is being allowed to leave for a relatively cheap price for an International Bundeliga player approaching his peak.

I can't see him being a panic buy, as City don't work like that. Is there major concerns with Aké & Laporté? Does this signing signal the possibility of 3-5-2 using wing-backs? Or is there just general concern over the fitness of our defence overall?

I wanted another couple of bodies in this window, but thought a top class senior LB was an evident defensive priority over another CB. I think we also need a top class Left Winger to complete this season's squad rebuild.

I suppose we'll all find out soon enough where & how Akanji fits into our plans... )(
It’s really smart business and if we need to move him on in a year or two we will probably make a useful profit

Adding a player in a position that is doing fine is actually a smart idea in a team with a lot of versatile players. When you have that extra CB, that lowers the load off walker, who now won't have to play that extra game at CB every now and then. It allows ake to provide more adequate cover to the left back position, because when he does, it doesn't leave the CB options weak. It gives you options for 3 cb's. This is a good purchase.

Same can be said about getting an extra left winger, for instance. We don't need it, right? We have foden and grealish there. But what it does do is allow foden and grealish to not be confined to that position. it lowers the load on the central midfielders, because now foden would be able to come into that position every now and then, which in turn allows bernardo to cover for the right wing position more often.

More players in the squad, even in "stacked" positions, allows more flexibility and I am all for it.

I can't see him being a panic buy, as City don't work like that. Is there major concerns with Aké & Laporté? Does this signing signal the possibility of 3-5-2 using wing-backs? Or is there just general concern over the fitness of our defence overall?

What does )( mean? Been meaning to ask for ages!

I wonder if they’ve been a bit shocked at how sluggish Walker looks compared to last season? I certainly didn’t expect a slow down just yet, I thought he had a few more years tbh. But he’s losing foot races this season that he used to deal with easily. Could be why they’ve clearly prioritised pace with this signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.