Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ClaudioDeyna said:
You see, there's an interesting conversation to be had here. Maybe even a new thread if I can be arsed:

The psychology of the City fan. Because there is one, influenced by failure, false dawns, insecurity and particularly Man United.

Not sure Bluemoon is particularly proportionally representative, though.

'Battered Fan Syndrome' a City e-zine once called it.

Haha. We certainly had that a while ago, where some of us actually started wallowing in our shitness a bit. I'm not as bothered about the 'entitlement' thing discussed over the last few pages. To me the 'new' city fan is characterised by insecurity. A constant preoccupation with what everyone else thinks about us and a fear that it's all about to go tits up.

Obviously I'm not talking about everyone. This forum can skew people's perception of what the 'typical' city fan is thinking. This forum is probably more representative of the fans in Mary Ds than the stadium as a whole.

cleavers said:
Damocles said:
I agree this would be an interesting conversation. Specifically how we were willing to give Pearce time under the guise of "room to improve" but somehow after winning a league Pellegrini is under pressure after 10 games.

As dreadful as it is to say it, all of those rags and wanker pundits giving it out years ago when we were taken over eventually got their wish. We have become spoilt and just expect these trophies to appear in front of us. Winning them is no longer an achievement but instead is now an expectation, a measure of how good or bad of a season it has been.

That's the problem with City, it's the difference between a 17 year old lad who buys his first car through grafting to one whose Dad buys it for them. When they inevitably total it, one of them will scrape the barrel of their savings and take on extra shifts at a factory and the other one will go crying to their Dad about how they need a new car.

Just as through hard times now there are some who will try to be sensible about the nature of form in football and point out that even Man United during their most dominant phase ever didn't win it every year, and there are those who will immediately sack the manager and want to sell half of the squad.

If we would have achieved this success through regular means rather than a never-before-seen catapult to the top, we'd have slowly built expectation and atmosphere and a confidence that we can keep going. You can take the fans out of the relegation fight but can't take the relegation fight out of the fans it seems.

League titles now are celebrated with barely a cheer from some sections of the fan base because that is the baseline season that City should be having because we're Man City and we're The Richest Club In The World™ and it's what the Sheikh expects aswell like any of us have the faintest idea what Sheikh Mansour wants or thinks. So that makes it fine to be slagging off a Double winning manager 11 games into the season when we lie in 3rd spot, and just not bothering with that massive Champions League game against Roma.

We put 70 odd thousand in Wembley for a Division Two play off final in 1999 but can't put 40,000 in our home stadium for a Champions League game against Roma that we desperately needed to win.

It's the same entitlement over and over now. Sheikh buy us Reus is our equivalent of Daddy buy me a new car, a huge proportion of the fanbase thinks that throwing money at a problem and sacking the manager is the answer; they of course think this because its what brought us to the table. When you teach fans that you can spend your way out of a problem they will expect it again and again and again. I mean, giving the manager time to work with players and integrate a new system? Bah! Sack him, bring in Pep, sell Nasri and buy Isco. All of our problems will then be solved. Right up until the next time we have a bad run of games and then Jovetic, Clichy and even Yaya Toure ffs will have to be looking over their shoulder as the "sell our whole team brigade" will start banging their drums and find the next great Football Manager legend that they swear they've seen loads of.

There's a section of our fanbase who are starting to resemble children with their petulant demands and "now, now, now" attitude.

Excellent post Dam.
Only this

The only thing I'm preoccupied with is the manager getting all he can out of the team.

If that is happening currently then I'm clearly misjudging this group of players,

For whatever reason, we have a number of fans who show up on this forum and show a lack of patience.

We also continually have people spouting off opinions that are simply not backed up by facts.

I have to say that I liked DD's post about decision making on page 184. Just because things do not work out does not necessarily mean the manager made a bad decision but it seems like some maroons think that; just as they seem to think that if City lose the opposing manager has tactically out thought the manager. Yeah, it really was Big Sam's brilliance that accounted for City having 66% of possession and almost twice as many goal attempts as West Ham.

Didsbury Dave said:
ClaudioDeyna said:
You see, there's an interesting conversation to be had here. Maybe even a new thread if I can be arsed:

The psychology of the City fan. Because there is one, influenced by failure, false dawns, insecurity and particularly Man United.

Not sure Bluemoon is particularly proportionally representative, though.

'Battered Fan Syndrome' a City e-zine once called it.

Haha. We certainly had that a while ago, where some of us actually started wallowing in our shitness a bit. I'm not as bothered about the 'entitlement' thing discussed over the last few pages. To me the 'new' city fan is characterised by insecurity. A constant preoccupation with what everyone else thinks about us and a fear that it's all about to go tits up.

Obviously I'm not talking about everyone. This forum can skew people's perception of what the 'typical' city fan is thinking. This forum is probably more representative of the fans in Mary Ds than the stadium as a whole.

Haha, how the worm has turned.

OB1 said:
For whatever reason, we have a number of fans who show up on this forum and show a lack of patience.

We also continually have people spouting off opinions that are simply not backed up by facts.

I have to say that I liked DD's post about decision making on page 184. Just because things do not work out does not necessarily mean the manager made a bad decision but it seems like some maroons think that; just as they seem to think that if City lose the opposing manager has tactically out thought the manager. Yeah, it really was Big Sam's brilliance that accounted for City having 66% of possession and almost twice as many goal attempts as West Ham.

Funny. You know we lost the game, right? And you know Alladyce said he prepared to expoloit our weaknesses in midfield and centre back? It doesn't matter how much possession we had, we lost the game.

the problem with that is any manager after a win against a so called better club can come out with that sort of stuff. how many times would west ham beat city out of 10 games. one or two i would guess. funny how he never knew how to beat us last year and got hammered was it 9-0 in the league cup. teams lose sometimes and whilst i agree that passing stats and who has the ball the most are often irrelevant sometimes they show who should normally have won the game. so we lost. it happens and then the egomaniac tells the world that he knows how to beat city. we probably will not win the league this year as chelsea will need to lose a lot of games against lower ranked teams for us to catch them. but then again they did last year so let us not give up just yet.

bluemcr said:
cleavers said:
Damocles said:
I agree this would be an interesting conversation. Specifically how we were willing to give Pearce time under the guise of "room to improve" but somehow after winning a league Pellegrini is under pressure after 10 games.

As dreadful as it is to say it, all of those rags and wanker pundits giving it out years ago when we were taken over eventually got their wish. We have become spoilt and just expect these trophies to appear in front of us. Winning them is no longer an achievement but instead is now an expectation, a measure of how good or bad of a season it has been.

That's the problem with City, it's the difference between a 17 year old lad who buys his first car through grafting to one whose Dad buys it for them. When they inevitably total it, one of them will scrape the barrel of their savings and take on extra shifts at a factory and the other one will go crying to their Dad about how they need a new car.

Just as through hard times now there are some who will try to be sensible about the nature of form in football and point out that even Man United during their most dominant phase ever didn't win it every year, and there are those who will immediately sack the manager and want to sell half of the squad.

If we would have achieved this success through regular means rather than a never-before-seen catapult to the top, we'd have slowly built expectation and atmosphere and a confidence that we can keep going. You can take the fans out of the relegation fight but can't take the relegation fight out of the fans it seems.

League titles now are celebrated with barely a cheer from some sections of the fan base because that is the baseline season that City should be having because we're Man City and we're The Richest Club In The World™ and it's what the Sheikh expects aswell like any of us have the faintest idea what Sheikh Mansour wants or thinks. So that makes it fine to be slagging off a Double winning manager 11 games into the season when we lie in 3rd spot, and just not bothering with that massive Champions League game against Roma.

We put 70 odd thousand in Wembley for a Division Two play off final in 1999 but can't put 40,000 in our home stadium for a Champions League game against Roma that we desperately needed to win.

It's the same entitlement over and over now. Sheikh buy us Reus is our equivalent of Daddy buy me a new car, a huge proportion of the fanbase thinks that throwing money at a problem and sacking the manager is the answer; they of course think this because its what brought us to the table. When you teach fans that you can spend your way out of a problem they will expect it again and again and again. I mean, giving the manager time to work with players and integrate a new system? Bah! Sack him, bring in Pep, sell Nasri and buy Isco. All of our problems will then be solved. Right up until the next time we have a bad run of games and then Jovetic, Clichy and even Yaya Toure ffs will have to be looking over their shoulder as the "sell our whole team brigade" will start banging their drums and find the next great Football Manager legend that they swear they've seen loads of.

There's a section of our fanbase who are starting to resemble children with their petulant demands and "now, now, now" attitude.

Excellent post Dam.
Only this

All well and dandy and we've been over this but.. The Ferguson era is over Dam. Manuel is a nice bloke and a good manager.

But when his predecessor was fired for doing more than he has done, it sets the tone for the future. The fans come to expect certain things, the media comes to expect certain things, dare I say even the players come to expect certain things??

I know it is not our right to win trophies every year and like any other club we have to fight for it and give it time but when a manager who is second in the league and gets to the cup final is fired what do you expect of one who is 3rd etc, etc.

I know the season is not yet over and we ought to halt the bickering and petulant behavior as you so eloquently put it however..

there is no smoke without fire and the media and fans are just singing to the tune of what the clubs immediate history has shown..

OB1 said:

Whilst I agree with you, West Ham probably isn't the greatest example. We dominated the last 20 minutes and created the bulk of our chances in that period as the opposition tired and retreated, but up until then we were toothless and piss poor

cleavers said:
Damocles said:

Excellent post Dam.

He'll pull you for that shortly Cleavers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.