Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwe rosler 28

The way I see it manuel got his tactics right got his shape right and got his selection right his substitutes were also the right call he wanted to kill the game off with a 2nd goal and went a bit more attacking against 10 men that were doing nothing going forward he done the same thing that everyone said jose should have done the week before. I have questioned manuel and will continue to when he gets it wrong but for me he got everything spot on sunday!

Re: Manuel Pellegrini

Prestwich_Blue said:
Paul_Powers_Tash said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Nasri needs game time so it should have been him on for Jovetic, who didn't have the best of games. Like for like but Nasri is much better at retaining the ball. If we needed extra legs in midfield then I'd have replaced Navas with Fernandinho.

You think 1-0 up in the Manchester derby is a good opportunity to give a player 'game time'?
We're not talking about some 18 year old out of the academy but an experienced international who's been injured for a cuple of weeks and has won 2 PL titles in 3 years. Who also scored in last season's game.

He's missed most of preseason and most of the current season through injury. Anyone who saw him on Wednesday against Newcastle could see how far away from being ready for the derby he is. Let's give him game time in one of our mosty important games of the season though.

aguero93:20 said:
For picking the right starting xi and taking off a player who looked absolutely exhausted? You might not remember this, but in the few minutes before Milner came off, he gave the ball away softly twice in midfield and nearly lost a foot race with Carrick before hacking an aimless cross into the stands, that to me is a tired player. People on this forum are happily praising Milner for the work he put in during the game, running from one goalline to shield Clichy and win the ball back before sprinting back up the other end to make himself available as an outlet, pressing and closing down in midfield, but they also seem to want to totally dismiss the possibility that all this running about tired him out and his use in the game had come to an end.

I didn't see anything in Milner that indicated he was out of gas. But my criticisms of the subs weren't limited to taking Milner off, I've said on here a few times that I don't know if he had a knock or needed to go off so I won't criticise MP for doing that.

As for the Dzeko sub what was wrong with it at the time? We were constantly getting into good crossing positions against a central defence of Michael Carrick and Patrick McNair with no fucking target man and one sitting on the bench, plus Jovetic had tired and drifted out of the game. What subs would you rather have seen? Nasri for Jovetic and Sinclair for Milner? Fernandinho in for Jovetic so Yaya could walk around cluelessly in the no 9 position while a tired Kun tried to cover for him in midfield?

It left us too open, too many players that don't provide good enough defensive pressure. As for the subs I would have made, well ideally as we were in full control of the game I would have made none. Maybe would have looked at Nasri for Navas. If there were indications that players were tiring (lets presume Jovetic and Milner) I would have brought on Fernandinho and Nasri. Pretty much the formation it ended up as after MP realised his mistake and brought Fernandinho on to try and get back control of the game.

moomba said:
For picking the right starting xi and taking off a player who looked absolutely exhausted? You might not remember this, but in the few minutes before Milner came off, he gave the ball away softly twice in midfield and nearly lost a foot race with Carrick before hacking an aimless cross into the stands, that to me is a tired player. People on this forum are happily praising Milner for the work he put in during the game, running from one goalline to shield Clichy and win the ball back before sprinting back up the other end to make himself available as an outlet, pressing and closing down in midfield, but they also seem to want to totally dismiss the possibility that all this running about tired him out and his use in the game had come to an end.

I didn't see anything in Milner that indicated he was out of gas. But my criticisms of the subs weren't limited to taking Milner off, I've said on here a few times that I don't know if he had a knock or needed to go off so I won't criticise MP for doing that.

As for the Dzeko sub what was wrong with it at the time? We were constantly getting into good crossing positions against a central defence of Michael Carrick and Patrick McNair with no fucking target man and one sitting on the bench, plus Jovetic had tired and drifted out of the game. What subs would you rather have seen? Nasri for Jovetic and Sinclair for Milner? Fernandinho in for Jovetic so Yaya could walk around cluelessly in the no 9 position while a tired Kun tried to cover for him in midfield?

It left us too open, too many players that don't provide good enough defensive pressure. As for the subs I would have made, well ideally as we were in full control of the game I would have made none. Maybe would have looked at Nasri for Navas. If there were indications that players were tiring (lets presume Jovetic and Milner) I would have brought on Fernandinho and Nasri. Pretty much the formation it ended up as after MP realised his mistake and brought Fernandinho on to try and get back control of the game.

The two ferns in midfield, Dzeko in the no 10 position (exactly where he was when Aguero was on the pitch) and Yaya as our no.9?
I just don't see your point here mate.

The two ferns in midfield, Dzeko in the no 10 position (exactly where he was when Aguero was on the pitch) and Yaya as our no.9?

Why would Yaya be playing forward of Dzeko (or Aguero as he would have still been on the pitch instead of Dzeko)?

moomba said:

Why would Yaya be playing forward of Dzeko (or Aguero as he would have still been on the pitch instead of Dzeko)?
That's where he was playing after Dinho came on. Think of the two chances he had, the turn and shot and the header and if you don't believe me go back and watch it again.

moomba said:

That's where he was playing after Dinho came on. Think of the two chances he had, the turn and shot and the header and if you don't believe me go back and watch it again.

He wasnt playing up front. Remember the two incidents you mention but he was playing through the midfield IMO. A lot more freedom to get forward though, twice in the last 5 minutes I watched him amble back into the midfield , which he eventually did. Will watch last 5 minutes again though.

moomba said:
moomba said:

He wasnt playing up front. Remember the two incidents you mention but he was playing through the midfield IMO. Will watch last 5 minutes again though.

He was definitely not playing in midfield. Dzeko spent more time in the midfield than he did.

moomba said:

He wasnt playing up front. Remember the two incidents you mention but he was playing through the midfield IMO. Will watch last 5 minutes again though.

He was definitely not playing in midfield. Dzeko spent more time in the midfield than he did.

He looked to me to have a free role,wandering between the two areas,to great effect.

Hes best up the field,cant understand him ever being in our half.

Those substitutes were akin to a father's child sitting on his laptop mid game in football manager.

Unexplainable.

Our tactics all season have left a lot to be desired, we've never had a squad capable of playing 442 at the highest level and we won the league with a great run of form, coincidently with Silva playing the number 10 role behind Dzeko last season. Frustrating.

If we refuse to analyse our opponents and set up with them somewhat in mind, we'll continue to stumble and be exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.