Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put simply we must go and beat stoke midweek, anything less and I think he'll be gone sooner than most on here think. The gap between ourselves and the chavs is growing as quickly as the chasing pack are closing us down. He needs to drum it into the players over the next few days that nothing less than victory will do. now you can go on about our poor record against them and how difficult it is to go there and win, put simply he has a fantastic squad of world class players with the odd donkey thrown in. He needs to send them out revved up and play a high intensity game from the offset. The rest will take care of itself. No passengers for this one for the moment of truth has well and truly arrived.

Man City "lacking ideas" translates to "Pellegrini lacking ideas".

For me we've suffered because of our rapid growth, meaning we don't have the back-up in home grown talent we need. Thus we have too many squad foreign players, whereas we need to now transition into a top level squad, with stars fighting for position, and perhaps like Madrid, selling the weakest one each season to keep it fresh/dynamic. Silva needs competition, Nasri needs competition, Yaya needs competition, Aguero needs competition, and we also need other options to give us a plan B. We lack pace, intensity, our central midfield is weak without Yaya's presence, and we lack left sided width and creativity and dynamism. There's also a worrying lack of defensive shape, responsibility, communication and organisation.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing selling 2 or 3 known stars in our squad and re-investing the money. I think we genuinely need a £150m spree in the summer, and we need to keep within FFP limits, thus we have to make some sacrifices. We need to buy world class foreign players, not squad players, and we need to promote our best EDS HG players and be willing to chance them, and create that culture in the club, because let's face it, for a club of our standing and resources we won't do any worse than this season, which is saying something.

I look at Pelle, I look at his age, contract length, I look at the weaknesses, our lack of defensive capability (a continual problem under him), our tendency to drop the ball to weaker teams (last season it manifested itself in cup performances, this season throughout the competitions, even if we look at our performances v CSKA compared to the 2 big Bayern/Roma games at the end of the group) and our attacking flair and dynamism has dissipated. Like I said earlier, I wonder how much of last season's resurgence was down to "arm around the shoulder" and ego-massaging/confidence building, and that now a firmer stance is needed, the egos have, maybe got too big for him, but at least now aren't responding to him like they didn't under Mancini. Or is it case that his attitude, and perhaps continual underestimation of weaker teams/expectation in our players, manifests itself in our squad. We rarely see the hunger/desire from our players to kill/humiliate a weaker side and show them no mercy. Our players are repeating the "we're champions, now we'll fail" farce of 2012/13, they don't seem to have learnt from it and I'm really trying to figure which manager could deal with this 2nd season syndrome we've got, and whether it really is a case of cashing in on 2/3 players and bringing a fresh view into the side, or at least bringing in players above the stature of our current squad and creating a new dressing room dynamic. Let's be honest, this isn't a side that's commanded a title they've won, this isn't a dominant side and we have to make that next growing step. Is Pelle that man? I don't think so, I think we've been through the consolidating phase, and now we need to step up.

chesterbells said:
jimharri said:
baildon blue said:
No chance is Pellergrini going .
I after admit today wasn't one of his best days .
I'll be amazed if he's still here next august if we end up without a trophy (highly likely now).

May depend on who on our very short list is available. If the chosen one(s) not available could you see the club keeping him regardless?
Maybe in that case, yes. But if the club received any encouragement that any of the likely candidates (Guardiola, Ancellotti, Simeone, Moyes etc etc) could be available, then Pellegrini is toast.

B\connellblue said:
Put simply we must go and beat stoke midweek, anything less and I think he'll be gone sooner than most on here think. The gap between ourselves and the chavs is growing as quickly as the chasing pack are closing us down. He needs to drum it into the players over the next few days that nothing less than victory will do. now you can go on about our poor record against them and how difficult it is to go there and win, put simply he has a fantastic squad of world class players with the odd donkey thrown in. He needs to send them out revved up and play a high intensity game from the offset. The rest will take care of itself. No passengers for this one for the moment of truth has well and truly arrived.

We will give him the rest of this season because simply there are no other realistic candidates available. As for whether he will see out the remainder of his contract is down to how we perform against Barcelona and how we will end the campaign. Admittedly I am concerned on how that will end up as our current form is poor and we don't look like a side who can trouble.

jimharri said:
chesterbells said:
jimharri said:
I'll be amazed if he's still here next august if we end up without a trophy (highly likely now).

May depend on who on our very short list is available. If the chosen one(s) not available could you see the club keeping him regardless?
Maybe in that case, yes. But if the club received any encouragement that any of the likely candidates (Guardiola, Ancellotti, Simeone, Moyes etc etc) could be available, then Pellegrini is toast.

Haha, that's quality. You had me there, I was reading your reply, agreeing, nodding sagely, but then got to the end and something didnt feel quite right ;-)

If Chelsea wins the title with 8-10 points difference Pellegrini has to show something else in return. Only thing left tho is CL. If we are out against Barca and Chelsea easily wins the title with a big lead in the end thats worst case scenario from now.

In this case I would let Pelle go.

If we do well in CL, like reach semis, but fuck up the league thats not very good but good in terms of CL where we really need to improve.
Also if we arent any good in CL but fight Chelsea until last round in PL thats acceptable for me.

If we just signed Caballero, Fernando, Mangala, Sagna, Bony for being worse than last season surely that has to have an explanation. We will see end of season, it doesnt look good tho, generally how we did in big games we will struggle against Barca for sure, we arent able to keep a clean sheet or we rarely are, while also cant see us outscoring Barca like 5-4, so only real chance vs them is defending extremely well and try to keep them out for 180 minutes and go trough maybe with 1-1 with more away goals scored.

But a Pellegrini team wont be able to do that with City. (Even against Burnley, Boro...)

So CL doesnt look rosy at all, while PL form is shit too.

Stoke game is huge, I think its a draw written all over it, 0-0, 1-1, usually what we get at Stoke btw. I am sure there will be a lesser team we wont beat neither home or away, its gonna be Burnley, QPR or Stoke.

Does it really make a huge difference who is the manager at this stage when we have a director of football? Essentially, the manager is there to merely pick the team and motivate the players. Neither of which are the current issues.

We have a system in place, possession based football which at the minute looks very predictable. Our talisman in Silva is marked completely out of the game. And now we're at a stage where everyone from Allardyce to S.Bruce can see through it. However, the system can not simply be changed, otherwise this direction the club is going in just lies in tatters.

It's relatively obvious that the club wants to re-create Rijkaards Barcelona. But it's a mountain to climb by pulling it off in such a competitive league. And then there's a case of putting the trust in the youth academy.

The problem goes way beyond the manager.

Ray78 said:
B\connellblue said:

We will give him the rest of this season because simply there are no other realistic candidates available. As for whether he will see out the remainder of his contract is down to how we perform against Barcelona and how we will end the campaign. Admittedly I am concerned on how that will end up as our current form is poor and we don't look like a side who can trouble.

Even if we were to drop out of the top 4 you think he'd still get to the end of the season Ray - I'm not so sure. If that were to happen I think the club may look for an alternative, from either inside or outside the club, even if only short term.

chesterbells said:
jimharri said:
chesterbells said:

Haha, that's quality. You had me there, I was reading your reply, agreeing, nodding sagely, but then got to the end and something didnt feel quite right ;-)
Sorry; you've lost me.

MeatnSpudsMCFC said:
Does it really make a huge difference who is the manager at this stage when we have a director of football? Essentially, the manager is there to merely pick the team and motivate the players. Neither of which are the current issues.

We have a system in place, possession based football which at the minute looks very predictable. Our talisman in Silva is marked completely out of the game. And now we're at a stage where everyone from Allardyce to S.Bruce can see through it. However, the system can not simply be changed, otherwise this direction the club is going in just lies in tatters.

It's relatively obvious that the club wants to re-create Rijkaards Barcelona. But it's a mountain to climb by pulling it off in such a competitive league. And then there's a case of putting the trust in the youth academy.

The problem goes way beyond the manager.

Plenty of feeling on here tonight that those were exactly 2 of the key issues today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.