Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
de niro said:
MeatnSpudsMCFC said:
Does it really make a huge difference who is the manager at this stage when we have a director of football? Essentially, the manager is there to merely pick the team and motivate the players. Neither of which are the current issues.

We have a system in place, possession based football which at the minute looks very predictable. Our talisman in Silva is marked completely out of the game. And now we're at a stage where everyone from Allardyce to S.Bruce can see through it. However, the system can not simply be changed, otherwise this direction the club is going in just lies in tatters.

It's relatively obvious that the club wants to re-create Rijkaards Barcelona. But it's a mountain to climb by pulling it off in such a competitive league. And then there's a case of putting the trust in the youth academy.

The problem goes way beyond the manager.

very good post.

as always the time to act or not will be at the end of the season, when we know where we are.

my question is.

if we were a day before the new season starts in august, how many of us would be relishing another season under pelligrini and what, if anything,would we win?

I would also argue that picking the team and motivating the players are problems at the moment as well as the way we play.

Like we have agreed on in another thread, why did he make 3 changes yesterday to a side that put in a great performance the week before?

Players of our ilk should be able to adjust throughout the game despite changes in personnel from game to game.

Our lack of effort , dysfunction , skill and quality especially in the first half was not a result of the changes made.

These are all internationals but they performed like a bunch of school kids who were playing a game with each other for the first time.

I tend to take the view that the problems are more down to recruitment than the manager. MP has every right to expect that, during Yaya's absence, Fernandhino (a £30m+ signing) will step up and put in the occasional dominant performance.

Where I think MP is open to criticism is with regard to the sheer awful lethargy that has characterised our first half performances at the Etihad this season. Even during our recent decent run the best performances were away at Southampton and Sunderland. The home games were still played at a terribly slow tempo. It was obvious after 10mins yesterday that it was going to be another bad day. I cant remember us really have a go from the start of a game since we played Spurs in October (and perhaps to a lesser extent the derby).

cibaman said:
I tend to take the view that the problems are more down to recruitment than the manager. MP has every right to expect that, during Yaya's absence, Fernandhino (a £30m+ signing) will step up and put in the occasional dominant performance.

Where I think MP is open to criticism is with regard to the sheer awful lethargy that has characterised our first half performances at the Etihad this season. Even during our recent decent run the best performances were away at Southampton and Sunderland. The home games were still played at a terribly slow tempo. It was obvious after 10mins yesterday that it was going to be another bad day. I cant remember us really have a go from the start of a game since we played Spurs in October (and perhaps to a lesser extent the derby).

It was actually the first 5 minutes that set the tone for yesterday. Dumb (Fernandinho) and dumber (Fernando) gave the ball away 3 times in that time and then the latter passed the ball straight out when under no pressure. It just got no better all day. We had one attempt in the first half. Pathetic.

How long does winning the league and a cup buy a manager?

I think he's struggling!
Changing players for the sake of it, dropping the 3 best players from Chelsea was ridiculous. Playing Nasri for 90mins and having Dzecko doing most of his work outside the box was baffling and taking Silva off was the final straw

If this form carries on, I can't see him being here at the start of next season

cibaman said:

Its as if we can coast and do the business in the second half.

I much prefer the days when we knew we could defend a lead generated in the first 45 minutes.

I used to enjoy our home games as we pressed from the outset and it was just a matter of time before the opposition collapsed under the weight of pressure.

This season its a matter of a piece of brilliance and hope like hell we hang on or chasing from behind with 10 men behind the ball.

You can still be organised at the back and score goals.

We haven't looked like keeping a clean sheet for a long time least of all achieve it.

You all need to have confidence in Pellegrini in the same way BillyShears does.

14 wins and 1 draw was the prediction last week up until the end of the PL season.

That means you'll win your next 14 games. Do so and your champions.....

Latics Fan SJK said:

14 wins and 1 draw was the prediction last week up until the end of the PL season.

There is confidence and then there is reality.

I would take 10 wins now for the remainder of the season and start again with a fresh set of personnel on both fronts for next season if you offered it to me.

I have little doubt his prediction will already come unstuck after two of those remaining games with the tougher ones still to come.

cibaman said:

And they (Spurs) were probably the last team to come to the Etihad and not park a gigantic bus in front of their own goal. It's difficult to generate tempo against teams like that, and particularly when your whole game is based around probing and intricate passing triangles. Bar Navas, and he's extremely one dimensional, we have virtually no real width, pace or dribbling ability, and no-one who can cross a ball, in the entire squad. Pellegrini's copping all the flak (and rightly so in respect of some of his team selections), but whether he's ultimately responsible for the dreadful form of players like Kompany and Zabaleta, what increasingly looks like a busted flush of a footballing philosophy, and the assemblage of a squad that struggles to play any other way, is another matter.
I honestly don't think another manager would make more than a marginal impact with this set of players, and facing blanket defending every week. The issue though is very real, and in the full expectation that we are going to face another 7 parked buses at home, plus another 3 away, I have genuine concerns that we won't finish in the top 4, and if that happens we are royally fucked

mancity1 said:
Latics Fan SJK said:

There is confidence and then there is reality.

I would take 10 wins now for the remainder of the season and start again with a fresh set of personnel on both fronts for next season if you offered it to me.

I have little doubt his prediction will already come unstuck after two of those remaining games with the tougher ones still to come.

The tougher ones aren't the issue. I would not be in the least bit surprised if we went to the Swamp and WHL and won comfortably. The problem games will be Leicester, West Brom, Burnley etc, who will all set out to frustrate us

Just got up with the hangover from Hell and still so fucked off with what I watched yesterday.

How can he get it so wrong like he did yesterday is beyond me but that said, the 11 that started should hang their heads in shame, especially for the first 45 which was one of the most depressing i have seen given the talent out on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.