Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exeter Blue I am here said:
DenisLawBackHeel74 said:
cibaman said:
I tend to take the view that the problems are more down to recruitment than the manager. MP has every right to expect that, during Yaya's absence, Fernandhino (a £30m+ signing) will step up and put in the occasional dominant performance.

Where I think MP is open to criticism is with regard to the sheer awful lethargy that has characterised our first half performances at the Etihad this season. Even during our recent decent run the best performances were away at Southampton and Sunderland. The home games were still played at a terribly slow tempo. It was obvious after 10mins yesterday that it was going to be another bad day. I cant remember us really have a go from the start of a game since we played Spurs in October (and perhaps to a lesser extent the derby).

Agree with your comments.

Judging by the article on BBC though, he is as clueless now as he was several weeks ago in how to solve this perceived 'creativity' issue. Dead man walking now IMO; he might not get much say in who the personnel are but he is expected to be able to motivate the team and tease out a performance by adopting the correct tactics. Unfortunately he is obtuse when it comes to playing the Stokes, Hulls, and Middlesboroughs of English football and ultimately, it is often your performances against these minnows that decides the league.

What would be helpful is if some of the armchair experts on here told us what the 'correct tactics' are? And by tactics I mean tactics, not meaningless platitudes about having more passion.
We played two completely different 45 minutes yesterday, the first utterly dreadful, bereft of pace and width, with two defensive midfielders having to act as de facto playmakers, and the second with pace, width and no little desire.......and the result was ultimately near enough the same. We didn't score from open play before the break and we didn't score from open play after it.
So is the manager, who did the double last season, really obtuse, or one faced with opponents intent on stifling the game each week and possessed of a squad, assembled with a view to playing a particular way, that lacks several of the qualities needed to circumvent the bus parkers.
Don't get me wrong, I'm far from happy with either manager or team, but I think there is some mitigation to be had.

I quotes an article on BBC where MP talks about trying to solve the creativity issue and if I'm not mistaken he said very similar things a few weeks ago which means he hasn't found the answer. It's his job to find the answer not mine and as far as arm chair analysis goes we are all entitled to express an opinion, even you.

Lower league sides have parked the bus at home since we won the PL, it's nothing new and no longer a valid excuse, but MP seems to be unable to come to terms with it or set up correctly given the resources he has.

And he's a double winner not the double winner.

flb said:
mancity1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
This thread and today on the whole has an eery resemblance to Sunderland at home last season. It was shite, poor, not good enough, etc. Pellegrini made so many mistakes today I don't know where to begin. But shit happens. We didn't lose which is a blessing for no other reason than I said a week ago we wouldn't lose another match this season :(

It keeps coming round but I think this squad has had it's 'cycle' and i'd be happy to rip up large parts of it and start again with a new generation of players, even if it means being less 'dominant' for the next two or three years. Maybe we need to take one step back to take two forward.

Totally agree.

I know the cycle is over.

It varies in length depending on age , tactics etc.

It might take a dip ala Manure proportions last year to make the owners realise that things are not as rosy with the squad as some might expect.

Nasri's interview was telling for me.

I think its more than just a lack of confidence and our ability whatever it is we are trying to execute on game day.

Huge freshen up needed starting with a real drive to bring youth forward.

We all know this squad was never going to push in Europe and MP was just a stop gap to calm things down.

The fact that maybe some of these players just are not as good as they think they are and a lack of leadership and will to work harder and smarter is coming home to roost.

The good news is we have good owners and they will address this properly I am confident of that.

Missing out on Chumps League may not be as catastrophic as some would think , it may be what we need to re adjust and improve our recruitment policy for all time.

We are going to see how really good our owners are, will Txiki come under any scrutiny for the Shit he has bought?
34m and he's made 13 appearances I think. That's shocking business from the men in charge

DenisLawBackHeel74 said:
DenisLawBackHeel74 said:

Judging by the article on BBC though, he is as clueless now as he was several weeks ago in how to solve this perceived 'creativity' issue. Dead man walking now IMO; he might not get much say in who the personnel are but he is expected to be able to motivate the team and tease out a performance by adopting the correct tactics. Unfortunately he is obtuse when it comes to playing the Stokes, Hulls, and Middlesboroughs of English football and ultimately, it is often your performances against these minnows that decides the league.

What would be helpful is if some of the armchair experts on here told us what the 'correct tactics' are? And by tactics I mean tactics, not meaningless platitudes about having more passion.
We played two completely different 45 minutes yesterday, the first utterly dreadful, bereft of pace and width, with two defensive midfielders having to act as de facto playmakers, and the second with pace, width and no little desire.......and the result was ultimately near enough the same. We didn't score from open play before the break and we didn't score from open play after it.
So is the manager, who did the double last season, really obtuse, or one faced with opponents intent on stifling the game each week and possessed of a squad, assembled with a view to playing a particular way, that lacks several of the qualities needed to circumvent the bus parkers.
Don't get me wrong, I'm far from happy with either manager or team, but I think there is some mitigation to be had.

I quotes an article on BBC where MP talks about trying to solve the creativity issue and if I'm not mistaken he said very similar things a few weeks ago which means he hasn't found the answer. It's his job to find the answer not mine and as far as arm chair analysis goes we are all entitled to express an opinion, even you.

Lower league sides have parked the bus at home since we won the PL, it's nothing new and no longer a valid excuse, but MP seems to be unable to come to terms with it or set up correctly given the resources he has.

Indeed it is, but some of the criticism on here might carry a little more resonance if it were backed by some actual tactical suggestion. We can all see the problem, it's the solution that's the issue, and I assume from your post above that you haven't got one?

In recent months, how many times has pellers changed things during the games?. This isn't because he's a tactical master mind or down to us shuttin shop. Its down to us playing shite because he gets it wrong from the off.

Serious improvement's when yaya and bony come back otherwise its bye bye. I already think he's done enough damage with early cup exit's and the massive gap from the top of the league. Its shit or bust with champs league now.

DenisLawBackHeel74 said:

Indeed it is, but some of the criticism on here might carry a little more resonance if it were backed by some actual tactical suggestion. We can all see the problem, it's the solution that's the issue, and I assume from your post above that you haven't got one?

If I had one I'd be in football management as would you, what a pointless comment.

DenisLawBackHeel74 said:
cibaman said:
I tend to take the view that the problems are more down to recruitment than the manager. MP has every right to expect that, during Yaya's absence, Fernandhino (a £30m+ signing) will step up and put in the occasional dominant performance.

Where I think MP is open to criticism is with regard to the sheer awful lethargy that has characterised our first half performances at the Etihad this season. Even during our recent decent run the best performances were away at Southampton and Sunderland. The home games were still played at a terribly slow tempo. It was obvious after 10mins yesterday that it was going to be another bad day. I cant remember us really have a go from the start of a game since we played Spurs in October (and perhaps to a lesser extent the derby).

So is the manager, who did the double last season, really obtuse, or one faced with opponents intent on stifling the game each week and possessed of a squad, assembled with a view to playing a particular way, that lacks several of the qualities needed to circumvent the bus parkers?

I posted this in the radio rant thread in reply to you asking what else we could do: "Well, for one, we could have played Lampard in the middle instead of Fernando, and this would have provided some forward ball into channels where Kun, Dzeko, Silva and Nasri were for periods of the first half. He might have also made some forward runs from midfield, something that we are desperately lacking. Why the fuck Fernando started against Hull at home utterly fucking baffles me, especially when Fernandinho was there to shore things up.

Why also play Clichy instead of Kolarov when starting Dzeko? I mean, where are the crosses going to come from if Milner and Navas aren't in the starting line up?"

Now I'm not an 'armchair expert', don't play FIFA and my understanding of football tactics is probably the same as the average Joe on the street. However, would the team selection above given us a greater chance of scoring or breaking down a defence?

It looks like everyone at the club is gripped by some sort of fear. Bit like the 11-12 season, it manifests itself in losing the ability to score goals. Once that has gone, everything else follows. Coupled with no one being prepared to take any responsibility and what is happens is almost a self fulfilling prophecy. No confidence going forward, defence is all over the place. If you're going to play 'defensive midfielders' then they need to defend!
This squad rotation is not brilliant either. It's surely no coincidence that Clichy is playing his best football and is playing every week (although I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped on Wednesday!)
There are, sadly, no game changers (i.e. who can get a goal out of nothing) in the squad apart from Yaya and Aguero. Good example yesterday was Nasri refusing to shoot in the first half. Opportunities to shoot from around the penalty area result in another crablike ball to the side.
The manager needs to earn his money and needs to earn it now. We have been well and truly sussed out at home and he needs a plan b. I have thought we were having a 'blip' for a few weeks but am now not so sure. I thought we might not win the league but I couldn't see any way we couldn't finish second. I'm now wondering if we can stay in the top four! There would be no way back from there for MP. That being said, I hope he is still in charge next season, as it means he will have had some sort of epiphany and sorted it out.
Keep the faith.

The problem is we're far too open. We push our fullbacks far too high up the pitch and leave ourselves totally exposed. We need to start being more defensive minded. Last year we scored a ridiculous amount of goals but are never going to do that again. We need defensive solidity and it remains to be seen if Pellegrini can alter his style to do so.

DenisLawBackHeel74 said:
DenisLawBackHeel74 said:

If I had one I'd be in football management as would you, what a pointless comment.

It all depends on your definition of pointless. I'd say a 'pointless' comment is one that doles out criticism without offering even a suggestion of a solution, but each to their own

Uber Blue said:
DenisLawBackHeel74 said:

So is the manager, who did the double last season, really obtuse, or one faced with opponents intent on stifling the game each week and possessed of a squad, assembled with a view to playing a particular way, that lacks several of the qualities needed to circumvent the bus parkers?

I posted this in the radio rant thread in reply to you asking what else we could do: "Well, for one, we could have played Lampard in the middle instead of Fernando, and this would have provided some forward ball into channels where Kun, Dzeko, Silva and Nasri were for periods of the first half. He might have also made some forward runs from midfield, something that we are desperately lacking. Why the fuck Fernando started against Hull at home utterly fucking baffles me, especially when Fernandinho was there to shore things up.

Why also play Clichy instead of Kolarov when starting Dzeko? I mean, where are the crosses going to come from if Milner and Navas aren't in the starting line up?"

Now I'm not an 'armchair expert', don't play FIFA and my understanding of football tactics is probably the same as the average Joe on the street. However, would the team selection above given us a greater chance of scoring or breaking down a defence?

Nail on head mate. He got it so so wrong yesterday its untrue. We are out of the domestic cup competitions yet we are chopping and changing the side every fucking week regardless of previous personal performances and invariably, he is managing to pick the wrong players for the situations we are facing, yesterday a prime example.

Fuck keeping squad members happy right now, most of whom need to be shipped out this summer anyway and stick to a settled side and please, the pre match team talk needs to be all about starting the game with the right attitude and pace in our play.

If he doesn't do that one simple thing then even as a huge fan of his im thinking their is no hope for him going forward.

I hear Exeters comments and kind of agree but he is the manager and if he cant get simple selections right and motivate the team then its curtains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.