Manuel Pellegrini

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoveCity said:
There are only two coaches who could definitely a). take us even further than MP has and b). continue our style of entertaining football, and they are inconveniently occupied at 2 of world football's biggest jobs - Guardiola and (maybe) Ancelotti.

You could throw names around all day... Koeman, Klopp (doing a terrible job at the moment), Simeone (probably does not correspond to our club style), Vieira, De Boer... but only those two would offer any guarantees. And they aren't available. So get behind Pellegrini and support him till the day the club decide a change is needed (and the right manager is available).

Wise words.

The manager has got some issues to deal with but he clearly does not go in for knee jerk reactions, unlike some suporters.

He is not getting the performances that he wants from his players and he has to so something about that but he deserves to be allowed a decent amount of time to to so.

bluechampion7891 said:
LoveCity said:
There are only two coaches who could definitely a). take us even further than MP has and b). continue our style of entertaining football, and they are inconveniently occupied at 2 of world football's biggest jobs - Guardiola and (maybe) Ancelotti.

You could throw names around all day... Koeman, Klopp (doing a terrible job at the moment), Simeone (probably does not correspond to our club style), Vieira, De Boer... but only those two would offer any guarantees. And they aren't available. So get behind Pellegrini and support him till the day the club decide a change is needed (and the right manager is available).

Whats your take on Bielsa? Not recommending him for one moment, but he seems to have an energetic style and is very tactical, and has done well with Bilbao and currently has OM sitting at top of Ligue 1.
Bielsa is terrible man manager. Probably worse than Mancini, so never would suit us.

adrianr said:
LoveCity said:

It's looking more and more like getting Pep in after Pellegrini will be a necessity rather than a bonus. Our European aspirations are well known. He will still have largely the same set of players to work with, and if they continue to fail in Europe under Pep at least we'll know why they're all swiftly shipped out shortly after. I doubt our owners will be wanting to take any chances with a De Boer type.

Thing is....as much as i am critical at present of MP i DONT want him gone..........I want him to show some tactical flexibility which is why he was supposedly the man for the job.

I want him to show us the fast attacking football we were supposedly getting which is very rarely on view

I want him to look at what is going wrong and change it and not just carry on making the same mistakes over and over as he has been doing..........

if he was to do this and still not win the league I would support him but if he carries on getting the team playing like we are and int he same predictable way and with the same formation over and over again then he will eventually lose my support

KippaxCitizen said:
mancity1 said:
KippaxCitizen said:
We are at our best when we have a DM sitting in front of the back four, when we have Yaya playing alongside/ahead of that DM in CM, and when we have Silva playing ahead of him in AM/behind the striker.

3 in midfield!

He doesn't seem to have addressed our attitude and mentality issue neither.

We had the wrong attitude and mentality as champions two years ago and we've had a weak attitude and mentality in the Champions League in every yearly outing we've had so far. I don't see Pellegrini changing that. We look like we don't believe in ourselves as a champion side. Yes, we look great when we've fucked it up a bit and all seems lost and the pressure is off us somewhat...yet when we've got to go out and show how good we are from the outset, when we've got the champions tag on us, when the expectation is on us to be the best we don't appear to have the right attitude or mentality, we don't look comfortable as a club in this situation. It was there two years ago under Mancini, it's been there under both Mancini and Pellgrini in the CL and it's there this season under Pellegrini.

I think that shows that Pellegrini, like Mancini, isn't wuite the calibre of coach this club needs.

Mancini was a really good coach. Good possession, attractive to watch, very good defensively, lacked the tactical nouse against the best in Europe and didn't deal with the squad when we had the attitude and mentality issues as champions. Pellegrini is a really good coach. Good possession, lots of goals, attractive to watch, lacks the tactical nouse against the best in Europe and doesn't appear to be dealing with the squad with this attitude and mentality issues we have as champions.

Certainly not to challenge for honours on the European stage but neither are the calibre of player we have either.

Domestically we could play it safer , surely we could do better than two clean sheets in nine games and have more points than we have now with the squad we have but at present it compromises our possession game somewhat.

MP is paid to get it right over 38 games.

Our players haven't shown the desire often enough collectively to get the job done in 4 league games and 3 Euro games so far.

Its certainly a concern but we will find out a lot more about their hunger and desire and will to win in the next few months and after that we can see if the owners will give MP his last season as head coach.

I cannot see him going beyond three years no matter what happens because we have to improve on the field player wise to improve our fortunes in Europe without compromising our ability to challenge for honours domestically year on year.
I can see us sticking with him. But I have come to terms with the feeling I have that we won't progress to that next level under him. A title retaining, European feared team/club...I don't see us being that under Pellegrini.

We will win further trophies under him, I think we would have won more trophies under Mancini too. And I think the step to bring in Pellegrini was the right one, I think that's what was needed. But that next level is a huge one to get to and the right man will need to be in place (and players too) for when we really want to get to it.

Tend to agree but its a three year deal at best for me and he will have done well if he sees out his contract in my opinion.

I watch a lot of other premier league games and for me the gap between more sides and us is narrowing in terms of our ability to dominate them for longer periods of time and restricting their threat on our goal is diminishing.

If true we need to change our tactics and formation quickly and personnel when we can.

Tempo and desire and speed of ball movement forward have to increase week in week out domestically.

Its way below what it should be and what we are capable of.

No doubt the squad and the manager for that matter don't have the mindset , skill and nouse to make a real tilt in the Chumps League.

Getting out of the group stage is as is good at it gets under the current set up.

I still think we would have to do a lot wrong not to finish second this season but who knows if MP is stubborn enough with players , tactics and inability to motivate hunger on match days it may get worse before tit gets better,

It will get better because we have the owners who won't allow to get us off track for too long.

OB1 said:
LoveCity said:

Wise words.

The manager has got some issues to deal with but he clearly does not go in for knee jerk reactions, unlike some suporters.

He is not getting the performances that he wants from his players and he has to so something about that but he deserves to be allowed a decent amount of time to to so.

Correct. We don't need a new manager, but we do need the title winning manager that we do have to show some flexibility, and make the necessary changes before it's too late. I live in hope that he'll do it.

Piss poor from the boss today,as it was mid week.

The result came as no surprise today as the lineup was wrong,that isn't hindsight,i,and many others, predicted such when the team sheets were revealed.Its now becoming an issue as these 'tactical mishaps' are becoming the norm,already certain players have become targets for abuse and attack when,in reality,they have been hung out to dry by Pellegrini's apparent ignorance,or stubbornness..... and his refusal to react accordingly when the game and circumstances require change.

I so want him to get this right because he's a great bloke,however,right now,i'm beginning to think,as a manager,he's floundering.

FantasyIreland said:
Piss poor from the boss today,as it was mid week.

The result came as no surprise today as the lineup was wrong,that isn't hindsight,i,and many others, predicted such when the team sheets were revealed.Its now becoming an issue as these 'tactical mishaps' are becoming the norm,already certain players have become targets for abuse and attack when,in reality,they have been hung out to dry by Pellegrini's apparent ignorance,or stubbornness..... and his refusal to react accordingly when the game and circumstances require change.

I so want him to get this right because he's a great bloke,however,right now,i'm beginning to think,as a manager,he's floundering.

Nicely summed up.

simon23 said:
In his post match comments on the website MP blames things like

- lack of intensity
- bad luck (ball hitting the woodwork twice)
- not taking other chances in the last 30 mins

he said
- he thought west ham would tire and that the game would open up

This is very concerning to me as he is completely ignoring the fact that west ham scored 2 and could easily have scored a number of others...he isnt addressing the problems at hand which is our poor set up leaving our defense very vulnerable and our midfield overrun.

Im sorry but that isnt good enough!
He thought West Ham would tire? Christ almighty, what a tactic that is!

adrianr said:
LoveCity said:

It's looking more and more like getting Pep in after Pellegrini will be a necessity rather than a bonus. Our European aspirations are well known. He will still have largely the same set of players to work with, and if they continue to fail in Europe under Pep at least we'll know why they're all swiftly shipped out shortly after. I doubt our owners will be wanting to take any chances with a De Boer type.

I can't really see the circumstances that would make guardiola leave Bayern and join city in the next couple of years.

I think mp is safe for a while. He was Soriano and begiristain's pick unlike Mancini and I don't think khaldoon will want to sack a third manager in such a short time

Any City manager should get the backing of the fans unless he's clearly taking the team backwards and down the table or is disrespecting the fans.

I fully back the boss as he picked up 2 trophies last season and we're still in the race for all 4 this season (currently!). I'd even back him if we won nothing this season. As fans we have to learn to take defeat and dips in success, we MUST not become spoilt Chelski/Man U style fans.

However, one caveat, that formation looked pretty shaky given the form of certain players in certain positions and the blatantly obvious approach West Ham would take so I got a bit annoyed at Pellers for that as it was so damn obvious. But that's it, a bit annoyed, I hardly think it's worth his head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.