Manuel Pellegrini

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB1 said:
LoveCity said:
There are only two coaches who could definitely a). take us even further than MP has and b). continue our style of entertaining football, and they are inconveniently occupied at 2 of world football's biggest jobs - Guardiola and (maybe) Ancelotti.

You could throw names around all day... Koeman, Klopp (doing a terrible job at the moment), Simeone (probably does not correspond to our club style), Vieira, De Boer... but only those two would offer any guarantees. And they aren't available. So get behind Pellegrini and support him till the day the club decide a change is needed (and the right manager is available).

Wise words.

The manager has got some issues to deal with but he clearly does not go in for knee jerk reactions, unlike some suporters.

He is not getting the performances that he wants from his players and he has to so something about that but he deserves to be allowed a decent amount of time to to so.

For once we'll disagree. It's all very well blaming the players, but when you keep picking teams that accentuate very obvious weaknesses within the squad, the flak is well deserved. Fernando isn't exactly light on his feet, he's an out and out defensive midfield enforcer, and continually putting him alongside the even more immobile Toure and expecting the pair of them to get up and down the pitch as a functional midfield partnership, is daft enough. To then compound that by adding Navas, a lightweight touchline hugger, to the mix (as we did today), so that the space infield for the opposition to play in is even greater, borders on outright idiocy. It's open season on our back 4 at the moment, with players running at them from all angles.

I am also uncomfortable with the idea of a club style. I don't want dogmatic inflexibility imposed either on or by a City manager. I want someone, who can adapt his style to account for the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, not gormlessly opt for the same formation come what may and in the face of all reasonableness. Football is a constantly evolving affair, and a bit like dealing with the Borg on Star Trek, you only get a certain amount of time before the enemy adapts. Right now we look increasingly like a team that has been sussed and one which is overly reliant on the genius of one or two individuals at domestic level, and the concern is that we are just starting on a slow downward path much as we did under Mancini. Like you I wouldn't be keen to pull the trigger mid-season, but I would hope our owners are monitoring the progress of people like Simeone and Koeman in the event that an improvement is not forthcoming. I know I've got a tendency to flap, but there are plenty of alarm bells going off. Roma, CSKA, Stoke, West Ham, 2 clean sheets, etc etc

hgblue said:
OB1 said:
LoveCity said:
There are only two coaches who could definitely a). take us even further than MP has and b). continue our style of entertaining football, and they are inconveniently occupied at 2 of world football's biggest jobs - Guardiola and (maybe) Ancelotti.

You could throw names around all day... Koeman, Klopp (doing a terrible job at the moment), Simeone (probably does not correspond to our club style), Vieira, De Boer... but only those two would offer any guarantees. And they aren't available. So get behind Pellegrini and support him till the day the club decide a change is needed (and the right manager is available).

Wise words.

The manager has got some issues to deal with but he clearly does not go in for knee jerk reactions, unlike some suporters.

He is not getting the performances that he wants from his players and he has to so something about that but he deserves to be allowed a decent amount of time to to so.

Correct. We don't need a new manager, but we do need the title winning manager that we do have to show some flexibility, and make the necessary changes before it's too late. I live in hope that he'll do it.

I agree, however the worry is that he seems to be showing no inclination to be flexible, this is backed up by the similar after match comments we seem to be getting.

I said earlier today that I find it quite astonishing that we haven't lined up with a Nando, Dinho and Yaya midfield as yet - surely this should allow us to get the best out of Yaya as he can just do what he wants. Considering having Dzeko on the pitch is equivalent to playing with 10 then it beggars belief he hasn't plumped for this as yet.

If he doesn't show some balls and switch it round, whilst dumping Dzeko, Navas and Clichy on the bench then he really is signing his own death warrant.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
OB1 said:
LoveCity said:

Wise words.

For once we'll disagree. It's all very well blaming the players, but when you keep picking teams that accentuate very obvious weaknesses within the squad, the flak is well deserved. Fernando isn't exactly light on his feet, he's an out and out defensive midfield enforcer, and continually putting him alongside the even more immobile Toure and expecting the pair of them to get up and down the pitch as a functional midfield partnership, is daft enough. To then compound that by adding Navas, a lightweight touchline hugger, to the mix (as we did today), so that the space infield for the opposition to play in is even greater, borders on outright idiocy. It's open season on our back 4 at the moment, with players running at them from all angles.

I am also uncomfortable with the idea of a club style. I don't want dogmatic inflexibility imposed either on or by a City manager. I want someone, who can adapt his style to account for the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, not gormlessly opt for the same formation come what may and in the face of all reasonableness. Football is a constantly evolving affair, and a bit like dealing with the Borg on Star Trek, you only get a certain amount of time before the enemy adapts. Right now we look increasing like a team that has been sussed and one which is overly reliant on the genius of one or two individuals at domestic level, and the concern is that we are just starting on a slow downward path much as we did under Mancini
Spot on that Exeter Blue.

cibaman said:
adrianr said:
LoveCity said:

It's looking more and more like getting Pep in after Pellegrini will be a necessity rather than a bonus. Our European aspirations are well known. He will still have largely the same set of players to work with, and if they continue to fail in Europe under Pep at least we'll know why they're all swiftly shipped out shortly after. I doubt our owners will be wanting to take any chances with a De Boer type.

I can't really see the circumstances that would make guardiola leave Bayern and join city in the next couple of years.

I think mp is safe for a while. He was Soriano and begiristain's pick unlike Mancini and I don't think khaldoon will want to sack a third manager in such a short time
And I don't want him to neither.

However, we are not going to become a title retaining, multiple title retaining, feared European team/club under Pellegrini.

But what I do want is to get the maximum of what he can get us to within his capability. We need to have a better attitude and mentality throughout the squad, he needs to be more adaptable, he needs to be less naïve and we need to be harder to play against in Europe. Yes, still be an attacking and exciting team but be more open to change depending on the situation, be more pragmatic when it's needed (just because we want to be an exciting side, doesn't mean when a situation arises we just naïvely play our own open way with a completely blasé attitude that we/he shows). We aren't good enough to just go and do anything we want against anyone we fucking want. And while we do want to go in a certain direction we can still be more astute, more professional, more aware, tactically and mentally on the way to getting there.

At the moment, he's not allowing us to get on the right trajectory to our final outcome because of what looks like total inflexibility and naïvety. He needs to improve things.

OB1 said:
LoveCity said:

Wise words.

I am also uncomfortable with the idea of a club style. I don't want dogmatic inflexibility imposed either on or by a City manager. I want someone, who can adapt his style to account for the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, not gormlessly opt for the same formation come what may and in the face of all reasonableness. Football is a constantly evolving affair, and a bit like dealing with the Borg on Star Trek, you only get a certain amount of time before the enemy adapts. Right now we look increasing like a team that has been sussed and one which is overly reliant on the genius of one or two individuals at domestic level, and the concern is that we are just starting on a slow downward path much as we did under Mancini. Like you I wouldn't be keen to pull the trigger mid-season, but I would hope our owners are monitoring the progress of people like Simeone and Koeman in the event that an improvement is not forthcoming. I know I've got a tendency to flap, but there are plenty of alarm bells going off. Roma, CSKA, Stoke, West Ham, 2 clean sheets, etc etc

Well said.

Fernandinho was awesome for us last season and Jovetic was superb early part of this season. Add that to Jimmy being benched again today and the 3 of them must be thinking wtf when they watch that disjointed crap today.

Rammy Blue said:
OB1 said:
Wise words.

I am also uncomfortable with the idea of a club style. I don't want dogmatic inflexibility imposed either on or by a City manager. I want someone, who can adapt his style to account for the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, not gormlessly opt for the same formation come what may and in the face of all reasonableness. Football is a constantly evolving affair, and a bit like dealing with the Borg on Star Trek, you only get a certain amount of time before the enemy adapts. Right now we look increasing like a team that has been sussed and one which is overly reliant on the genius of one or two individuals at domestic level, and the concern is that we are just starting on a slow downward path much as we did under Mancini. Like you I wouldn't be keen to pull the trigger mid-season, but I would hope our owners are monitoring the progress of people like Simeone and Koeman in the event that an improvement is not forthcoming. I know I've got a tendency to flap, but there are plenty of alarm bells going off. Roma, CSKA, Stoke, West Ham, 2 clean sheets, etc etc

Well said.

Fernandinho was awesome for us last season and Jovetic was superb early part of this season. Add that to Jimmy being benched again today and the 3 of them must be thinking wtf when they watch that disjointed crap today.
And Kolarov.

OB1 said:
LoveCity said:

Wise words.

I am also uncomfortable with the idea of a club style. I don't want dogmatic inflexibility imposed either on or by a City manager. I want someone, who can adapt his style to account for the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, not gormlessly opt for the same formation come what may and in the face of all reasonableness. Football is a constantly evolving affair, and a bit like dealing with the Borg on Star Trek, you only get a certain amount of time before the enemy adapts. Right now we look increasing like a team that has been sussed and one which is overly reliant on the genius of one or two individuals at domestic level, and the concern is that we are just starting on a slow downward path much as we did under Mancini

He certainly isn't getting the best of the players he has at his disposal but the cattle ain't doing their bit as well so its a combination of both.

The ability to graft and pressure the opposition for long spells is virtually non existent this season.

5-2-2 is probably a just a pass mark despite Stoke and West Ham which was a six point switch from last season.

2 clean sheets from 9 games is not.

mancity1 said:
OB1 said:
Wise words.

He certainly isn't getting the best of the players he has at his disposal but the cattle ain't doing their bit as well so its a combination of both.

The ability to graft and pressure the opposition for long spells is virtually non existent this season.

5-2-2 is probably a just a pass mark despite Stoke and West Ham which was a six point switch from last season.

2 clean sheets from 9 games is not.
Playing Yaya, Fernando and Navas away from home is as stupid as it gets, its like he plays 4 4 2 then changes to 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 when we concede wrong way round imo.

mancity1 said:

It's up to Pellegrini to get the players playing though. If they won't or can't play for him, then it's easier to change him than the whole team. Perhaps they're losing a bit of confidence in Pellegrini and his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.