Manuel Pellegrini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it that time of year again lol.

Like vultures circling in the sky.......

Damanino said:
...Its a huge test for him now to take us to the next round of CL we will learn a lot about him in the two CSKA and the bayern/Roma games...

Not just Pellers but for the squad, the team and the club. At some point we have to stand up collectively and take what should be ours. In this case control of our own fortunes in the group and in the CL as a whole. The mentality exists within the group when it comes to the PL - two firsts and a second shows us that. Its now Pellers task to oversee a transfer of that mentality to the CL. We have the squad and the players we just need to unlock their potential when it comes to the CL.

leighton said:
Mister Appointment said:
leighton said:
I think we and Pellegrini if he is to stay at the next 3 windows in the transfer market we will hopefully see him bringing younger players into the squad be it buying them in or promoting from the EDS. I think the next 3 windows will see what are mid to long term plans are. I look at Mangala he is a long term signing. As is Fernando. Who we bring in next year to add to the squad the outfield playeres will be key for the long term of the club and get us the right mix of ecperience and youth.

It's about transitioning from the squad Mancini built to a squad which Pellegrini (and Txiki) want. The type of football expected from Pellegrini and from the squad is different from when Roberto was around and players will be bought on that basis. Fernando and Mangala are much more mobile than their predecessors, and I expect a similar pattern as we see players brought in to replace Yaya, Nasri, Kolarov, etc. It'll take time - but as you say in the next two or three windows as the FFP restrictions are lifted we'll be in a much better place to judge our long term prospects.

I know but the good thing is the signings we have made under Pellegrini have mostly all contribuated to us winning titles last season. With Jesus Navas , Fernadhino and Negredo all contribuating during the season. The only 1 who didnt was Jovetic due to injuries. Not too bad. I know Negredo didnt work out but in the end we made a profit from that signing.
This years signings well only time will tell Fernando looks quaility and Mangala has shown some signs so far that he could well be a important player for us in the future. Sagna I never rated him but time will tell if he can be a success for the club. While Willie will be a keeper to watch closely and so far in the games he has played you cant fault him. While Lampard has been a success while on loan at the club so far scoring important goals.

I think with Begiristain and Pellegrini at the reigns we have a much more coherent transfer strategy overall. The one criticism I have and I will continue to voice it is that I don't think we needed four forwards last season, and were an attacking midfield player short. The same applies this season in the sense that I don't think Negredo should be replaced by an out and out striker - rather someone in the mould of Navas but someone who's natural side is the left hand side.

The weakness in our squad both defensively and offensively is the left hand side IMO.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Lavinda Past said:
Mister Appointment said:
Such definitive statements have a habit of coming back an biting posters on the arse. :)

Seriously though - I think the squad is in transition between that which Mancini wanted and that which Pellegrini wants. This summer we couldn't be reactive in the market because of the FFP restrictions in terms of money we could spend and also in terms of squad limits with regard 'foreign' players.

And as I said earlier, get Mangala and Fernando integrated and we're already a much stronger and forceful proposition than we currently are.

I can't for one second bring myself to believe that Pellegrini gets what HE wants. He gets what he's given and does what he's told. If and when the season goes tits up, he'll get the bullet... Just like Bobby did.

You can't really believe that, surely?

I would argue buying Demichelis for £3m, two months after joining Atletico on a free transfer, has our manager's thumb print all over it?

As does Willy Caballero?

Barcelona don't play 4-4-2 - yet we have a technical director, steeped in its traditions, ordering our manager to play it?

Sorry, but sometimes the can really is carried by the manager.

On this occasion, you should carry the can: I told you that your pre-match comments:

"I'll take City by three or four.

Roma? Do me a favour.

Italian club football is a joke."

were the kiss of death.

BobKowalski said:
Damanino said:
...Its a huge test for him now to take us to the next round of CL we will learn a lot about him in the two CSKA and the bayern/Roma games...

Not just Pellers but for the squad, the team and the club. At some point we have to stand up collectively and take what should be ours. In this case control of our own fortunes in the group and in the CL as a whole. The mentality exists within the group when it comes to the PL - two firsts and a second shows us that. Its now Pellers task to oversee a transfer of that mentality to the CL. We have the squad and the players we just need to unlock their potential when it comes to the CL.

I still think the biggest problem regarding the UCL is in the players' heads.

I could only watch last night's match with half an eye on my iPad as I was at work (from 9 am to 6:30 am) so would have to be cautious in my comments. However, whilst I would not exonerate the manager entirely on his team selection and tactics, that team was capable of a better performance.

Pellegrini chooses to do things in a certain way and it may not be ideal in some minds but he won two trophies last year and remains in four competitions this year.

Now I must get back to work.

Mister Appointment said:
leighton said:
Mister Appointment said:
It's about transitioning from the squad Mancini built to a squad which Pellegrini (and Txiki) want. The type of football expected from Pellegrini and from the squad is different from when Roberto was around and players will be bought on that basis. Fernando and Mangala are much more mobile than their predecessors, and I expect a similar pattern as we see players brought in to replace Yaya, Nasri, Kolarov, etc. It'll take time - but as you say in the next two or three windows as the FFP restrictions are lifted we'll be in a much better place to judge our long term prospects.

I know but the good thing is the signings we have made under Pellegrini have mostly all contribuated to us winning titles last season. With Jesus Navas , Fernadhino and Negredo all contribuating during the season. The only 1 who didnt was Jovetic due to injuries. Not too bad. I know Negredo didnt work out but in the end we made a profit from that signing.
This years signings well only time will tell Fernando looks quaility and Mangala has shown some signs so far that he could well be a important player for us in the future. Sagna I never rated him but time will tell if he can be a success for the club. While Willie will be a keeper to watch closely and so far in the games he has played you cant fault him. While Lampard has been a success while on loan at the club so far scoring important goals.

I think with Begiristain and Pellegrini at the reigns we have a much more coherent transfer strategy overall. The one criticism I have and I will continue to voice it is that I don't think we needed four forwards last season, and were an attacking midfield player short. The same applies this season in the sense that I don't think Negredo should be replaced by an out and out striker - rather someone in the mould of Navas but someone who's natural side is the left hand side.

The weakness in our squad both defensively and offensively is the left hand side IMO.

Our transfer strategy had been coherent prior to Txiki coming in. Under Cook/Marwood/Mancini the core of the squad was built with players predominantly around the age of 24 been acquired with the exception being Yaya. Players not required were quickly discarded with young players like Kompany, Zabs incorporated into the core along with Hart. It is this core that is the mainstay of the current squad all of whom save Hart have signed new long term deals. It cannot be underestimated how important this core has been and continues to be. It is equally important to recognise that the age profile at the time of signing has allowed the core to grow together. In terms of minimal squad churn and trophy count those initial signings have been a great success.

Under Txiki/Pellers the strategy has been different in that there was little need to tamper with the core but a need to add some balance and experience. The age profile of the signings has increased dramatically ie prominently late twenties rather than early twenties. This means the players are squad ready and can slot straight in. This shift makes sense given they mirror the age of the core plus it also ensures that trophy success is not hindered. Also it looks to the future. As the age profile of the squad climbs it allows players (hopefully) to come from the academy and step in.

There have been times with little coherence. Under Hughes it was all over the shop and in 12/13 with Cook gone and no CEO installed business was done late and with little direction with no one getting who or what they really wanted. Lack of leadership was our undoing there. Aside from that our transfer policy has been focused and well thought out under both regimes and suited to what was needed at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.