Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel I need to clarify something that I watched on a City fan video just now..

There seems to be an opinion out there, however small, that hes a defensive left back. I watch very much La Liga, so i get an opinion of players by that and particularly young spanish ones, and the feeling I got from that was that he was mostly used in a defensive 4-4-2 as a left mid (and at times as a wingback) at Getafe and similarly at Eibar(50/50 LB) before, though then in a much higher intensity pressing side. I even remember at Barca on a few summer tours that he only really played left-mid etc.

I then looked up the stats and they where pretty conclusive as well. Predominately all left mid in La Liga until Brighton https://www.whoscored.com/Players/363496/History/Marc-Cucurella :Detailed - positon - ML
I think this is the biggest reason for his "explosion" at Brighton, he never really played in his proper position (+ play-style) in La Liga for a sustained time-period and he was probably seen as a bit too undisciplined and wild for that then with his youthful vigour as well.. he was pretty rowdy at times. Might blame Eibar and Getafe for that as well though.. they loved to cause havoc.

He was basically a system left-mid that did his job and went up and down the wing and covered in when called for in the midfield zonal defense. That is also a reason he can now do a lot of different roles.. his regular schooled offensive Barca (La Masia-played in his teen in Barca B, senior football) Leftback role.. he can play inverted, learnt that at Getafe etc.. can play wingback in a 5 at Brighton etc. The only role I would be hesitant to use him is in a back 3.. cos hes basically never played it. (edit: Only fleetingly at Brighton)

I will say this, hes not particularly lightning quick or has an amazing left foot etc.. so thats probably why they used him there (midf), his versatility and that they didnt really trust him back then as a pure left back in his youth, his late teen/early twenties, in a somewhat defensive side.
Hes got an amazing engine though, and one of the best attitudes ive ever seen and is very game intelligent with good technique. His head/mind is one of his best attributes. And he was always seen as a good but not great talent at Barca, I think its ultimately moreso his mentality that has taken him this far if he now goes to Man City. So credit to the lad. He will work perfectly within the group at City. He will still cost a pretty penny though..

Last edited:
I will say this, hes not particularly lightning quick or has an amazing left foot etc.. so thats probably why they used him there (midf), his versatility and that they didnt really trust him back then as a pure left back in his youth, his late teen/early twenties, in a somewhat defensive side.

Interesting analysis. Thanks for that. Can I ask who you support? It's not absolutely clear whether you're a City fan (and it doesn't really matter, truth to tell).

All the Brighton fans say that he's been like a rocket up and down the wing this season. That's why it's the only part of your summary that I'm slightly surprised by.

Feels like 30 is a bad deal :/

It does sound low. I’d be happier if we could keep Zin and sign Cucurella too. I’m still convinced that was the original plan. It’s just that the Cucrella deal has taken so long that Zin is also now potentially going to Arsenal. The two trades get unsurprisingly linked by the press as they are for the same position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.