Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brighton lurker here…often pop on to other club’s forums to have a look at anything BHA related but don’t often post (tried on WACCOE once but they’re an absolute bunch of *****). Mix of views and opinions on here not really any different at all to our board really - lots of sensible, interesting stuff interspersed with as usual a bit of nonsense.

Anyway, re Cucurella, we (fans) would be absolutely gutted to lose him. Rare for Potter to drop a new (and young) recruit straight into the first team but he did with Marc and he’s been outstanding since his second game (first game was a bit crap). I don’t disagree (unlike some of our lot) that we are a ‘selling club’ - pretty much all clubs are if a bigger dog comes along, and it’s an integral part of the club’s strategy to sell players to become sustainable anyway (whether top/emerging talent or output from our academy). The club won’t stand in the way of players capable of playing at a higher level (White, Bissouma so far) as this is integral to attracting decent younger players in the first place. As we continue to improve our own position, the clubs that are ‘higher level’ than us obviously become fewer - for example when Villa were rumoured to be getting Bissouma, that would have pissed most of us off. Spurs not so much.

Thing with our owner though (who is a several-generation devoted fan) is that whilst we’ll never compete with the likes of City financially, he’s not short of a few quid and has so far been happy to put hundreds of millions into the club and is under no pressure at all to sell (he continues to fund losses - 70m last season - until we become ‘sustainable’). Add being a professional poker player to being a successful businessman and you’re negotiating with someone who doesn’t **** around. He’ll have a price in mind for Cucurella, and (as we saw with White - Leeds then Arsenal dicked around with lowball offers) if it’s not met then he simply won’t sell.

I’ve no doubt Cucu is good enough, and also understand why he’d love to work with Pep and play CL football but he also doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to down tools if it doesn’t happen. He’s also been very open about his difficulties in getting settled in the UK with his young family. I think the deal will happen if City meet Bloom’s valuation - if it does the majority of BHA fans will genuinely wish him well and be grateful we were able to be part of his development (it’s been very much this with Bissouma).

Footnote re the ‘post Covid‘ game……I was there and it was a bit surreal all round to be honest. No idea why Foden got booed either.
Good post mate. I don’t think this transfer will happen unless you are willing to reduce from £50m. I can’t know but would guess that the club will also have a valuation of Marc in their mind and will be unwilling to go over that by too much. You are in the driving seat as the lad has 4? Years left on his contract so you certainly dont need to sell. I think the risk you run though (and to an extent us if we did get him) is Barca turning his head in the next 12 months and getting him for a damn sight less than your valuation. Anyway, good luck for the new season (other than against us).

Brighton lurker here…often pop on to other club’s forums to have a look at anything BHA related but don’t often post (tried on WACCOE once but they’re an absolute bunch of *****). Mix of views and opinions on here not really any different at all to our board really - lots of sensible, interesting stuff interspersed with as usual a bit of nonsense.

Anyway, re Cucurella, we (fans) would be absolutely gutted to lose him. Rare for Potter to drop a new (and young) recruit straight into the first team but he did with Marc and he’s been outstanding since his second game (first game was a bit crap). I don’t disagree (unlike some of our lot) that we are a ‘selling club’ - pretty much all clubs are if a bigger dog comes along, and it’s an integral part of the club’s strategy to sell players to become sustainable anyway (whether top/emerging talent or output from our academy). The club won’t stand in the way of players capable of playing at a higher level (White, Bissouma so far) as this is integral to attracting decent younger players in the first place. As we continue to improve our own position, the clubs that are ‘higher level’ than us obviously become fewer - for example when Villa were rumoured to be getting Bissouma, that would have pissed most of us off. Spurs not so much.

Thing with our owner though (who is a several-generation devoted fan) is that whilst we’ll never compete with the likes of City financially, he’s not short of a few quid and has so far been happy to put hundreds of millions into the club and is under no pressure at all to sell (he continues to fund losses - 70m last season - until we become ‘sustainable’). Add being a professional poker player to being a successful businessman and you’re negotiating with someone who doesn’t **** around. He’ll have a price in mind for Cucurella, and (as we saw with White - Leeds then Arsenal dicked around with lowball offers) if it’s not met then he simply won’t sell.

I’ve no doubt Cucu is good enough, and also understand why he’d love to work with Pep and play CL football but he also doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to down tools if it doesn’t happen. He’s also been very open about his difficulties in getting settled in the UK with his young family. I think the deal will happen if City meet Bloom’s valuation - if it does the majority of BHA fans will genuinely wish him well and be grateful we were able to be part of his development (it’s been very much this with Bissouma).

Footnote re the ‘post Covid‘ game……I was there and it was a bit surreal all round to be honest. No idea why Foden got booed either.
Think Brighton are well within their rights to ask for the money they want, if they can afford to hold him. I can't see City going to £50m, but stranger things have happened. I could however see a smaller initial fee, increasing with add-ons to around/over £50m. That seems closer to City's strategy and may be something Brighton come round to.

It is, but why city messing about with the transfer fee, just pay the asking price or move on
does not do both the player and city any good in the media or with Brighton and their fans toward the city fans
The transfer window has only been open for 26 days and is open for another 37 days yet.

This transfer has only just got started. Neither club really seem heavily desperate on the transfer. City clearly do not rate this player at the fee Brighton will try and eek out for him as a maximum, and really he isn’t worth that much. We already have a better player playing in that position and a young lad coming through in that position. It’ll be nice if we get him for strength in depth but not the end of the world if we don’t.

We might not get him this year and end up doing the deal next year.

Most football fans don’t really pay much attention to transfers until the point a player signs because 95% or media transfer talk is made up bollocks. Most City and Brighton fans will barely have registered that this transfer might happen and just view the general talk about it like any of the 95% of the made up bollocks about any transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get everyone's reaction to the comments from Potter/Weir, but honestly they probably mean nothing. This one looks like a kane saga to me. Start with a low bid (75m + add ons)- that gets rejected straight away. Get told City sources confident through the whole thing. No real second bid materialises as Brighton/Tottenham make it clear they want stupid money. Brighton/Tottenham sources say City are miles away from an agreement.

I'm not trying to criticise City, I'm pretty sure he's not worth 50m atm. Although could be when considering if we got 5-6 good years out of him or am I saying City can't negotiate- I respect that City set a price and are willing to walk away if a club tries to ask for way above value. I just think there are a lot of parallels. A lot of ITKs reported last year of second bids for Kane and confidence at the City end it would get done. There was a lot of reliance on Kane striking- as I think there is on this deal that Cucurella throws his toys out. I'm not sure that's going to happen tbh. I hope we do go get a different LB if it doesn't materialise.

The difference is Spurs and Brighton operate quite differently. Levy has always held his top players to ransom to try and extract more than they’re worth. See Bale, Modric, Kane. Spurs believe they’re at the top table so won’t budge.

Brighton rely on getting young promising players on the basis that they won’t stand in the way if they want to move on providing they get a decent fee. If City are offering 40m+, blocking Cucurella’s exit at this point undermines that strategy.

As he's only been there for 1 year of a 5 year contract, you'd think that the prospect of not receiving his pro rate temperis payment of the loyalty bonus would pale into insignificance of the potential of such a move (and, what you'd think would be an increased salary).

I repeat 'you'd think'.
Well yes but money being the root of many a problem unfortunately means thinking becomes somewhat skewed.

The transfer window has only been open for 26 days and is open for another 37 days yet.

This transfer has only just got started. Neither club really seem heavily desperate on the transfer. City clearly do not rate this player at the fee Brighton will try and eek out for him as a maximum, and really he isn’t worth that much. We already have a better player playing in that position and a young lad coming through in that position. It’ll be nice if we get him for strength in depth but not the end of the world if we don’t.

We might not get him this year and end up doing the deal next year.

Most football fans don’t really pay much attention to transfers until the point a player signs because 95% or media transfer talk is made up bollocks. Most City and Brighton fans will barely have registered that this transfer might happen and just view the general talk about it like any of the 95% of the made up bollocks about any transfer.
the window might be open for another 5 weeks but the season starts on Saturday so I'd rather the LB situation was sorted out soonest, If Brighton are not coming down in price then move on.

Potter has done well at Brighton and they play some decent football. I don't think it will be too long before he moves on elsewhere.

I think he'd make a good Pep replacement if the time comes. Hopefully not for a long time yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.