Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked last night, Raum does not seem to have moved, despite rumours to the contrary. Grimaldo has not moved. No idea whatsoever how decent they are. For others to judge. I sort of like the look of the latter, just on the basis of the Benfica connection. Benfica has stood us in very good stead over the years. At reasonable prices too. We seem to have pretty good relations with them.
(City are giving me so much work to do this summer… coming on here every five fucking minutes to start with…)

We bought Torres for 17m and sold him fot 55m 18 months and far fewer games played later. Dortmund bought Dembele for 15m and sold him for 110m 12 months later. There are lots of examples of players' fees vastly increasing, and being paid.
I'm not saying there isn't. The selling club can sell for whatever they want and more fool Barcleona for paying £55m for Torres haha. If City don't feel it's good value then its good business to walk away and look for a better deal.

99% of the actual LBs are not good enough to play in a Pep system. Pep prefers midfielders at LB to most of the 'actual' LBs for a reason. And we broke numerous records with Delph and Zinch for a reason. We don't defend in traditional ways. Absolutely central to our way of defending is the ability to keep possession in dangerous zones under pressure. The much underrated on here Cancelo completed more passes than any player in the PL last season, it was probably a first for a FB in the top 5 leagues in history (to complete most passes).

Cucu is good for us, but maybe not at Brighton's asking price. Because the plan is not to bench Cancelo or Walker. We'll sign a new FB, maybe Sosa.

We bought Torres for 17m and sold him fot 55m 18 months and far fewer games played later. Dortmund bought Dembele for 15m and sold him for 110m 12 months later. There are lots of examples of players' fees vastly increasing, and being paid.

Those 2 are/were young attackers who were full internationals so thus regarded to have massive potential. Cucurella is a 23 year old fullback playing for Brighton whose only Spain cap came because the u21 team played the seniors fixture due to covid.

99% of the actual LBs are not good enough to play in a Pep system. Pep prefers midfielders at LB to most of the 'actual' LBs for a reason. And we broke numerous records with Delph and Zinch for a reason. We don't defend in traditional ways. Absolutely central to our way of defending is the ability to keep possession in dangerous zones under pressure. The much underrated on here Cancelo completed more passes than any player in the PL last season, it was probably a first for a FB in the top 5 leagues in history (to complete most passes).

Cucu is good for us, but maybe not at Brighton's asking price. Because the plan is not to bench Cancelo or Walker. We'll sign a new FB, maybe Sosa.

I think part of the reason for this is simply because of necessity rather than choice, similar to the false 9 system. With Mendy, Angelino and now Cucu it is clear the club has wanted a proper traditional left back for a while, just so far we haven't found a good reliable one.

Cancello, Ake, Laporte can all operate at LB and Wilson-Esbrand comimg through.

If we won't budge on our valuation and they won't on theirs, rather we started the season with a settled known squad and pulled out of the deal.

I won't lose any sleep on us going with what we have

Incidentally, one of the things the Brighton fans have been saying on their own forum (and which has gone a bit under the radar here) is that Cucurella is versatile and can — and has — played in central defence creditably. That's one of the things that make him so valuable to their club, apparently. Having two players who can play either left back or left sided central defender, Aké and Cucurella, for the lower level games would be mighty useful, it seems to me. (And is in line with Pep's way of thinking about players).
He is 5ft 8.
That's small for a full back never mind a centre back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.