Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why go to £45m though? They initially hinted at £35m and city bid that, the goalposts were moved to £50m take it or leave it, now they are briefing their media outlets that an offer well in excess of £50m would be needed to tempt them to sell… See the issue here? Everyone saying “pay the extra £10m” are missing the fact they want more than £50m to even discuss it. They are taking the piss for a player nobody knew about 12 months ago and are using the fact he won player of the year at Brighton as justification!
Smoking some fat hash down in Brighton this summer. Relegated in 2/3 years anyway.

I agree he is over priced. £27m is about the correct valuation, thats why you bid £30 as a start to negotiating a transfer. I know clubs are going to up it a bit when its a top 6 side, and like many orher clubs add even more because its city, i though a deal was possible at £35m with either add ons over a period of time taking it to a possible £40m in total or £30m plus a player for us to sale on later.
That makes some sense on a rational basis, but it's not developing that road and I assume that lies mainly in Bloom's personality.

Now I'd be surprised if City didn't know in detail with whom they would negotiate. Following that logic City must have expected exactly this. Something doesn't sit right, no idea what that is.
Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I have no idea about this anymore.

Why go to £45m though? They initially hinted at £35m and city bid that, the goalposts were moved to £50m take it or leave it, now they are briefing their media outlets that an offer well in excess of £50m would be needed to tempt them to sell… See the issue here? Everyone saying “pay the extra £10m” are missing the fact they want more than £50m to even discuss it. They are taking the piss for a player nobody knew about 12 months ago and are using the fact he won player of the year at Brighton as justification!
I don’t remember the 35m thing you’re talking about, so bloom is doing a levy? Very interesting.

Personally I’d consider 45m to be a fair price all things considered

As a Brighton fan it's fascinating reading this thread and getting the other side's perspective. Having seen a lot of Cucurella live, I think he's an excellent player - and essential to the way we played for much of last season. We may be "small" in Premier League terms, and obviously we're still newbies when it comes to the big time - but the club IS ambitious, and Tony Bloom has shown many times that he will not sell unless he gets the right money (even if the player gets upset and puts in a transfer request). It's part of the club's strategy to be a long-term player in the EPL. We don't have the resources of City, and never will have. But we ARE good at unearthing young talent and fostering it. Not unlike City, but on a very small sale (eg: the relationship with Royal Union St Gilloise in Belgium, and the number of young players we currently have out on loan). We definitely do NOT take young players from bigger clubs on loan - so the prospect of fostering a relationship with City and getting some of your brightest U23s is a non-starter. And setting a perceived high price has nothing to do with BHA wanting to "get one over" City. We're not in that game! We're too small for anyone to worry about us!!
At the end of the day we MAY sell Cucurella to City, but it will take a lot more than has been offered. Cucurella is, after all, a significant upgrade on Ake. But if City don't meet the valuation, then that's fine...we keep an excellent player who has 4 years left on his contract. Cucurella may be disappointed if that's the way it pans out, but he seems a great guy, and he's hardly likely to goon strike for 4 years!
He isn’t better than Ake, hence Ake has a lot more caps …

Might be wrong, but for me this is a simplistic way of thinking about a Pep defence, especially after 6 years of watching Pep's City and listening to his interviews.

The fundament of a Pep's way of defending is having a lot of possession and having a build-up play good enough to deal with intense high-pressing. For that purpose you need defenders who are great on the ball and brave in possession. Many seem to think that if we have another Walker at LB, we'd be perfect in the big games defensively wise. That's dumb. Another FB who is technically limited and chooses only save options would be deadly for a Pep build-up play and for our possession- based game. If Walker attempts to do what Cancelo does in our build-up play and in the opposition's half, he would make so many mistakes that people would question his value for the team. He knows his limitations and plays safe, unimaginative passes. If the other FB is like that, a Pep team wouldn't be a Pep team.

But couldn't we find a player who can do what Cancelo does for our build-up play (most passes in the whole league and most touches over a season in PL history, no less) and is more solid in defence? Well, where's that FB? If Cucu was that, we'd pay 80m to have him. He would be the best FB in the world by far, and one of the best players period.

If you hear or read 'Cancelo can't defend', you are dealing with a fan who watches Pep's City for 6 years now and doesn't understand how we win trophies. If we buy a FB good enough to start at LB in big games, then Cancelo will be used at RB, unless he is off form like in the final month or two in 20/21. He isn't perefect at all, he makes mistakes, etc. but he's been highly important to our build-up play since 2020, 2-3 months aside.
What your choosing to ignore is the risk reward ratio. I won't be like you and accuse anyone of being dumb but I will say you don't need someone to break the fucking all time Prem touches record or passes completed record to be successful in Pep's system. We don't need Zinedine Zidane at LB, but we do need someone who can contend with elite forwards in his own end of the field regardless of how much fucking pressing he does. We can succeed with a player less offensively gifted but still good enough who can play in his own end as well. No one is saying we need a left sided Walker, at least not me. But I will tell you we don't need an offensive wizard who struggles mightily against top forwards both one on one and positionally either. Just bear in mind that because someone doesn't agree 100% with a narrative you believe in it doesn't mean they are dumb. There are plenty of sharp soccer people on here who have different points of view than your own. Thinking that way would actually lead you to be dumb. Cheers

I don’t remember the 35m thing you’re talking about, so bloom is doing a levy? Very interesting.

Personally I’d consider 45m to be a fair price all things considered
I agree, I think £45m Inc add one is worth a punt, but Bloom keeps moving the goal posts in an attempt to rinse some more cash out of us. You have to stop at some point regardless of if we need to fill that position or not. I’ve no doubt we’ll identify another target and they’ll be a bigger name than Cucurella by the time the season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.