Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of the press are pushing a false narrative more so than anything firm coming out directly from Brighton.

Many in the media would enjoy nothing more than trying to sabotage this transaction.

Noel whelan said £35m, the same guy who said Brighton should sell Ben white to Leeds for £20m

He isn’t worth £30m + a player so it won’t get done. City didn’t want to sell Zinchenko, he wanted to go so we facilitated that. He was worth £32M to Arsenal. He is an established international and has captained his country. He is a better player that Cucurella. He wasn’t let go so we could buy Cucurella, it was his time to go. His value has no bearing on a replacement LB. To suggest so is infantile.
Loved Zinchenko, always put in a shift for City and I wish him well. However, defensively Zin was not the best and I certainly think Cucurella is better in that area.

As a Brighton fan it's fascinating reading this thread and getting the other side's perspective. Having seen a lot of Cucurella live, I think he's an excellent player - and essential to the way we played for much of last season. We may be "small" in Premier League terms, and obviously we're still newbies when it comes to the big time - but the club IS ambitious, and Tony Bloom has shown many times that he will not sell unless he gets the right money (even if the player gets upset and puts in a transfer request). It's part of the club's strategy to be a long-term player in the EPL. We don't have the resources of City, and never will have. But we ARE good at unearthing young talent and fostering it. Not unlike City, but on a very small sale (eg: the relationship with Royal Union St Gilloise in Belgium, and the number of young players we currently have out on loan). We definitely do NOT take young players from bigger clubs on loan - so the prospect of fostering a relationship with City and getting some of your brightest U23s is a non-starter. And setting a perceived high price has nothing to do with BHA wanting to "get one over" City. We're not in that game! We're too small for anyone to worry about us!!
At the end of the day we MAY sell Cucurella to City, but it will take a lot more than has been offered. Cucurella is, after all, a significant upgrade on Ake. But if City don't meet the valuation, then that's fine...we keep an excellent player who has 4 years left on his contract. Cucurella may be disappointed if that's the way it pans out, but he seems a great guy, and he's hardly likely to goon strike for 4 years!
I'm just asking, why not take 45 mil and parlay Cucu into unearthing 3 more guys and fostering them? Triple the return in one year is hardly unreasonable for a kid who actually wants the move.

Worringly if/when we walk away from this, who is out there that can slot in to the system with a decent amount of experience (granted Cucurella only has a season in the prem) that isn’t going to be subject to City tax, especially if the selling club knows we’ve walk edaway from the deal. We’ll have our pants pulled down regardless so although I hate it surely it’s better for it to happen with a player who Pep actively wants and sees as his number 1 choice

This! Spot on

The people saying we're good to go must've missed the final stages of the season whereby we had Fernandinho at RB, Cancelo covering for an inured Walker. Zinny at LB, Ake, Stones and Dias all out with a limping Laporte hobbling around the pitch. Rodri was covering at CB at one point

We have no Fernandinho nor Zinny. We have absolutely no out and out LB. JWE wasn't even thought of. How on gods green Earth do people think we "are good to go"

......the mind boggles
Because

This! Spot on

The people saying we're good to go must've missed the final stages of the season whereby we had Fernandinho at RB, Cancelo covering for an inured Walker. Zinny at LB, Ake, Stones and Dias all out with a limping Laporte hobbling around the pitch. Rodri was covering at CB at one point

We have no Fernandinho nor Zinny. We have absolutely no out and out LB. JWE wasn't even thought of. How on gods green Earth do people think we "are good to go"

......the mind boggles
Because if the club says so, it must be so.

I feel sorry for the lad now. Our interest in him got him excited enough to put in a transfer request, but now he is being left out to dry a bit. Hope he doesn't have too much hate aimed at him by brighton and the fans.
I’m gutted for him. He’ll be stuck on a contract paying him several million a year to play football. Devastated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.