Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends how Pep wants to set up against opposition just like the use of having inverted wingers opposed to natural wingers. Having that variety in the team gives him flexibility tactically in his set up from game to game.
I’m quite excited by this transfer as I think he adds natural balance to our team and allows wingers to be inside or outside, as needed.

Obviously it will take time for Cucurella to adapt.

I‘d also suggest that his introduction may well end Cancelo’s role as a left back. First choice, for sure.

I’m almost at the stage where I’m ready to suggest we sell Cancelo. He’s not a good enough defender to be a full back in the biggest games.

He was shown up at Madrid at the end. TAA was shown up by Madrid in the final.

Having creative full backs is all well and good for 95% of games, but when the chips are down, can we rely on Cancelo?

I’m not convinced.

It all depends how Pep wants to set up against opposition just like the use of having inverted wingers opposed to natural wingers. Having that variety in the team gives him flexibility tactically in his set up from game to game.
I can't think of one good reason why Pep keeps going back to inverted wide players against some of the 9 man low blocks we face on a weekly basis...anyone can go back and watch us play game by game and this will bear out...inverted wingers work nicely when you can play thru and they angle their runs in from the sideline gaining an advantage to shoot off the opposite foot...Arjen Robben did this extremely well for Pep at Bayern...but when playing against a packed low block this just doesn't work nearly as well, sometimes at all...its why Sterling is so much better in recent times on the right...he can beat the defender wide to the end line and cross with his dominant foot like he did for the opener against Villa instead of having to pull up on the left side and turn back into a second defender many times losing possession...Pep is a great innovator but he has to give up the use of inverted wingers against the deep low blocks...it makes breaking some of these teams who pack it in so much harder to break down...jmo...

I can't think of one good reason why Pep keeps going back to inverted wide players against some of the 9 man low blocks we face on a weekly basis...anyone can go back and watch us play game by game and this will bear out...inverted wingers work nicely when you can play thru and they angle their runs in from the sideline gaining an advantage to shoot off the opposite foot...Arjen Robben did this extremely well for Pep at Bayern...but when playing against a packed low block this just doesn't work nearly as well, sometimes at all...its why Sterling is so much better in recent times on the right...he can beat the defender wide to the end line and cross with his dominant foot like he did for the opener against Villa instead of having to pull up on the left side and turn back into a second defender many times losing possession...Pep is a great innovator but he has to give up the use of inverted wingers against the deep low blocks...it makes breaking some of these teams who pack it in so much harder to break down...jmo...

Inverted wingers can break bus if they have overlapping FB and a striker support. It is not about shooting by themselves but it is easier for an inverted winger to pass to the target in the box when they cut inside in the half space. The problem is that we don't have that target - a real No 9 in our team.

If you re-watch Real vs City game, they forced Foden to cut inside from left several times and as Foden is left foot, he could not pass a though ball into the box. That was part of the reason why Pep had to switch Jesus to the left around 40 min mark.

Inverted wingers can break bus if they have overlapping FB and a striker support. It is not about shooting by themselves but it is easier for an inverted winger to pass to the target in the box when they cut inside in the half space. The problem is that we don't have that target - a real No 9 in our team.

If you re-watch Real vs City game, they forced Foden to cut inside from left several times and as Foden is left foot, he could not pass a though ball into the box. That was part of the reason why Pep had to switch Jesus to the left around 40 min mark.
True the lack of a real target player has a negative impact when playing with inverted wingers, but Pep knows already in advance that we did not have that so what's his point? I just think its easier to break down the bus by beating the last outside back to the end line off the dribble and then either crossing or attacking the front post off the end line...

True the lack of a real target player has a negative impact when playing with inverted wingers, but Pep knows already in advance that we did not have that so what's his point? I just think its easier to break down the bus by beating the last outside back to the end line off the dribble and then either crossing or attacking the front post off the end line...

Actually Villa's defending is very poor this season. It is more about how poor we played in the first half... rather than how brilliant we played in the 2nd half.

The best bus we faced this season may be Atletico Madrid. Foden was deployed on the right wing as an inverted winger when he made the critical pass. In the PL the best bus is Chelsea and we broke them by deploying one inverted winger on left wing + one traditional winger on the right (instead of one traditional winger on the left + one inverted winger on the right). Must have some logic in it.

Have you wrote to Pep and told him?... Maybe if he knew what he was doing we could score more than 150 goals next season.

Love the wording of this post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.