Marc Cucurella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely should be on the shortlist, really innovative and what he's done with Brighton isn't easy.
If he keeps progressing I could see us taking an interest, but hopefully that a long way in the future.

If Pep went tommorow would you take Potter on straight away or if Pep said hes leaving at end of season would u take Potter now to work along side Pep. Hypothetically question i know, just intrested in ur thoughts.
NO, massive drop off, but long term, defiantly a possibility, although he did piss Pep off 18 months ago.

If Pep went tommorow would you take Potter on straight away or if Pep said hes leaving at end of season would u take Potter now to work along side Pep. Hypothetically question i know, just intrested in ur thoughts.

You are quite correct the big clubs usually place it safe and go for the big name managers with a history of success.

One club which has bucked the trend of late, has been United, and lets be honest its been an unmitigated disaster.

Potter from the outside looking in looks a really forward thinking innovative coach, but a lack of success previously (and its a fair argument he cannot get that success until given a chance) would make it unlikely we would go for him. Also I think if he was our manager we would become less of a draw in the transfer market. Pep pulls players to the club based on his reputation in world football as does Klopp at Liverpool. Potter is not viewed in the same bracket.

Highly thought of managers like Moyes, Rodgers arguably Poch have moved up to the clubs with an expectation to win trophies and have failed to deliver, hence I think the top sides often play it safe. I doubt we would go for Potter, more likely Luis Enrique.

Last edited:
I think one of the clear problems — and it's as clear as day at P.S.G. — is the problem of authority. To a man, the players are in awe of Pep's reputation, both as a player and a manager. That is a star-studded dressing room, a room of often capped internationals, with big egos, inevitably. But if Pep says something, it is law. I'm quite amazed that having the front line and midfield that we've had for the past four years has lasted as long as it has, frankly. People on here get sniffy about Raheem and Jesus, but they are starting internationals for their respective countries, automatic starters. Both could have gone to many clubs, both here and in Europe.
I don't think Pep even particularly cares if they like him. Sure, it's nice. But it's not the priority. The priority is respecting him.
If Potter, or just about anyone else I can think of, came in, they would have that problem. It's one thing knowing the coach is the boss because he's been backed by the board. It's another him being in the dressing room, you looking into his eyes and thinking, “Yep. You are the boss. If you don't pick me for this match I won't be happy, at all. But you make the decisions”.
Mancini had that authority, but then seemed to lose it. To be fair, he also didn't have quite the figures in the dressing room that we have now. And he had several players who had transitioned from — let us say — more modest times.
I've got no answer to this. There are very, very few men with Pep's weight of authority. There are none who can improve a player the way Pep can. Not one.
One day he'll move on. Then we'll have to think again. City will continue to be a successful club, and a big one. About ten years back Neville interviewed Noel Gallagher and asked him “Do you think you'll still be up there ten years up the road?” I sometimes think of that. I think of Neville thinking of the state his own club's in now. And the state City is in.

Last edited:
Whoever replaces Pep is going to be a massive down grade because its not just the constantly winning things but also the style of play.
Potter plays the same style & would be great for him to work with Pep for 12 months but that is extremely unlikely.
Also players want to play for Pep which Potter wouldnt have the same pull. I'm glad that the rags didn't offer him the job as given time he could have turned them around.

I think one of the clear problems — and it's as clear as day at P.S.G. — is the problem of authority. To a man, the players are in awe of Pep's reputation, both as a player and a manager. That is a star-studded dressing room, a room of often capped internationals, with big egos, inevitably. But if Pep says something, it is law. I'm quite amazed that having the front line and midfield that we've had for the past four years has lasted as long as it has, frankly. People on here get sniffy about Raheem and Jesus, but they are starting internationals for their respective countries, automatic starters. Both could have gone to many clubs, both here and in Europe.
I don't think Pep even particularly cares if they like him. Sure, it's nice. But it's not the priority. The priority is respecting him.
If Potter, or just about anyone else I can think of, came in, they would have that problem. It's one thing knowing the coach is the boss because he's been backed by the board. It's another him being in the dressing room, you looking into his eyes and thinking, “Yep. You are the boss. If you don't pick me for this match I won't be happy, at all. But you make the decisions”.
Mancini had that authority, but then seemed to lose it. To be fair, he also didn't have quite the figures in the dressing room that we have now. And he had several players who had transitioned from — let us say — more modest times.
I've got no answer to this. There are very, very few men with Pep's weight of authority. There are none who can improve a player the way Pep can. Not one.
One day he'll move on. Then we'll have to think again. City will continue to be a successful club, and a big one. About ten years back Neville interviewed Noel Gallagher and asked him “Do you think you'll still be up there ten years up the road?” I sometimes think of that. I think of Neville thinking of the state his own club's in now. And the state City is in.

Luis Enrique, but timing is everything on these coaching issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.