Mario - I'll walk off pitch if faced with racism

Marvin said:
Those who don't think racism is a problem at City are clueless. Bradford away when we got relegated from Premiership under Joe Royle

Focus of racism in England has moved to Asians. In Spain, they have a lot of immigrants from North Africa. In the UK we have a war on Terror and the Iraq war so the focus is different in different countries. I guarantee you that as Asian or Middle-Eastern footballer would get trouble at an English ground. Football is also much more authoritarian in England with CCTV and heavy policing. You'll get a baton over your head in Italy but you wont get your house raided at 5am or see your picture next day in the paper.

I see a lot more Asian and black faces at City than ever before. I am Asian. It's good to see, but it'snot gone away. It's just changed focus, and all this talk about other countries not being fit to hold football is just another strand of British Nationalism which underpins racism here in England. I am certain Poland an Eastern Europe have their problems, but they wont be solved by taking football away, or by players walking off. Never give in to racists, and I'd expect more from Balotelli. He's had stick all his life. Never walked away before. He was in tears at his first game so hope this report is just rubbish.

Whilst I agree that the racial slurs nowadays tend to be aimed more to the Asian community, I personally have not heard any racist chanting or comments in the 20 years I've been watching City. That doesn't mean to say that I'm naive enough to say it doesn't go on but it's not something that our club is known for.

Hypothetical and not sure if posted already, but what if Italy, (for example), are being beaten 2-0 in the quarters and it's 75 mins on the clock say.... What's to stop Mario just saying he was racially abused, walking off just to get the game abandoned, (with the hope it would be replayed)? Would it be replayed or would the result stand?

Pigeonho said:
Hypothetical and not sure if posted already, but what if Italy, (for example), are being beaten 2-0 in the quarters and it's 75 mins on the clock say.... What's to stop Mario just saying he was racially abused, walking off just to get the game abandoned, (with the hope it would be replayed)? Would it be replayed or would the result stand?

This is essentially the problem UEFA face, fans could get games abandoned at will. I think this was the reason Eto'o was persuaded to return to the field that time. It maybe a noble gesture by Mario but I can't help thinking he's made a rod for his own back here. Singling himself out for abuse by going public might not be the wisest move, it should be a team or manager's decision to remove players from the pitch. As for his comment about killing somebody, I can only put that down to his youth and hope it doesn't bring him any unwanted attention whilst out and about.

Hamann Pineapple said:
Pigeonho said:

This is essentially the problem UEFA face, fans could get games abandoned at will. I think this was the reason Eto'o was persuaded to return to the field that time. It maybe a noble gesture by Mario but I can't help thinking he's made a rod for his own back here. Singling himself out for abuse by going public might not be the wisest move, it should be a team or manager's decision to remove players from the pitch. As for his comment about killing somebody, I can only put that down to his youth and hope it doesn't bring him any unwanted attention whilst out and about.
I don't think 'wise' and 'Balotelli' mix too well!

rickmcfc said:
ABU inc GDR said:
Mario has now put himself in a position by saying what he said although I agree 100% with his sentiment, when will he ever learn.

The more worrying comment was the bannana throwing I'll kill em comment, Mario is a player the club have invested heavily in, how does that help the club next season if he gets into trouble in the streets out there. He should have thought more of the club and his responsibility to the fans before making such a silly statement.

As for walking off the pitch, this should have been discussed with the team captain and management and the whole team should agree it's action should he be subject to racist abuse.

I'm tired of all the press controvesy he courts, he never learns his lesson and I beleive he'll demonstrate that again with some daft action at the Euro's which will further erode his value at Man City....Time to offload!!!! Didn't want to say this but these no controlling the guy!!

What a load of bollocks.
I think do do bollocks a great disservice.

-- Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 am --

Marvin said:
Never give in to racists, and I'd expect more from Balotelli. He's had stick all his life. Never walked away before. He was in tears at his first game so hope this report is just rubbish.
He wouldn't, he'd be standing up to them. If the Italy team walks off then the racists loose and loose the fucking should. No one should be forced to stay and take racist abuse. This is his job and his love and I fully support him for saying such things. He again heaps more pressure on the authorities to come down hard and act tough on racism at the Euro's.

And the report isn't rubbish.<br /><br />-- Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 am --<br /><br />
Hamann Pineapple said:
Pigeonho said:

This is essentially the problem UEFA face, fans could get games abandoned at will. I think this was the reason Eto'o was persuaded to return to the field that time. It maybe a noble gesture by Mario but I can't help thinking he's made a rod for his own back here. Singling himself out for abuse by going public might not be the wisest move,it should be a team or manager's decision to remove players from the pitch . As for his comment about killing somebody, I can only put that down to his youth and hope it doesn't bring him any unwanted attention whilst out and about.
Ermm how about it is each individuals human right to remove themself from a situation of abuse?

I wish somebody like Patrick Vierra or Alex Williams could take Mario to one side and persuade him to keep quiet and let his feet do the talking. That's exactly how John Barnes beat the racists.

I can't help but think Mario keeps making a rod for his own back with some of his grand statements.

People keep saying the tournament shouldn't be taking place until these countries sort things out seem to be missing a key point. What better incentive to change attitudes among football fans? We hosted Euro 96 at a time when we were still dealing with hooliganism. When we were actually awarded the hosting of the tournament there were major issues with safety at games. The tournament helped in the process of cleaning up football in England.

Euro 2012 could be a huge force for good in Poland and Ukraine. Grounds have improved and hopefully the tournament will help with the racism problem.

Well done Mario.
Evil persists when good men do nothing.

Hopefully the Italian manager will remove all the team if this occurs. I sincerely hope England would have the balls to leave the pitch if racist chants persist - it would be England's most dignified exit from a tournament for many years!

lancs blue said:
mcmanus said:
lancs blue said:
Fast forward to Russia 2018.

Kinda taking the piss.

Is that a 8000+ post fish.

Eh? Are you unaware of the ongoing racist violence in Russia? Do you think it'll be sorted in time for the 2018 World Cup?

Yeah I am a totally aware.

I was jokingly highlighting that point (i didn't need to say Russia). The WC 2018 decision is even worse. People of all colours and races from all over the world going to Russia. Bloody Sepp Blatter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.