Marseille (a) post match thread

Rodri MOTM for me. Really excellent today. Never seen him so mobile, so in control, everywhere on the pitch breaking up attacks. Love to see it.

Would have said the same after 30-40 minutes but after that his passing went astray and he was being a bit too safe.

Looked like Pep had a few goes at him about it too!

City are back!

Still looks like fitness is a big issue and we can only manage a half of 'full effort' football. It's probably a better idea to do it like tonight in the first half and take the second half slowly when ahead than the last couple of games when we have tried to see it to half time 0-0 and failed.

Thought Sterling was better than he has been recently but not sure he is any better on the left than the right.

Laporte and Dias should be an incredible partnership, at no point today did I have any doubts they would clean up anything that came towards them. A breath of fresh air after the last few years!

I don't think we ran out of steam in this game, we just realised there was no point in pressing Marseilles.

Pat Nevin said it in the radio commentary that about 20 minutes in we realised if we didn't press, Marseilles just kicked the ball back to us anyway, and there was no need to run ourselves into the ground.

As soon as Marseilles came out to play, we were full of energy to pick them off on the break.

Brian Kerr on Irish TV saying that we didn't play particularly well.
Tbh, I wouldn’t say it was great. It was good enough and that was all we needed it to be.

Lots of positives, especially with the centre back pairing of Dias and Laporte and the increasing influence of Foden on this team.

The only negative for me is that we are still far to content to play backwards or square passes rather than move it fonward at pace. The last goal is the perfect illustration of what happens when we play quickly.

Before the game a lot of people saying how dangerous the opposition were (beat PSG etc). After the game a few saying you can’t say much about that as the opposition are poor. I say, well played boys, looking back to our best

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.