Martin Demichelis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goater=Legend said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
He did nothing wrong, again, but he's now not being cut any slack whatsoever by a growing section of City fans who have readily picked up a baton of mis-truths and ill-informed opinions in the wider media.

Myths being turned into a reality.

The poor guy gets edgier by the week, as a result.

There's nothing wrong with his ability. He's no slower than Lescott or Nasty.

Pellegrini does see it, most don't.

He is the best of a bad bunch who can pass out of defence and does not treat the ball like a hand grenade.

Laughable moment last night in the space of five minutes. Lescott made an easy pass to a Barca short and Pellegrini just shook his head.

That backpass from Lescott still makes me laugh. We was playing well and giving it a real go until he did that.

Exactly, for all of those calling for Lescott to start over Demichelis, the reasons were pretty clear why he didn't! Feel sorry for him being so clearly exposed. Typical English centre half is Lescott, big, strong and awful technique! Demichelis started off quite ragged but he intercepted the ball well with high pressing and he grew in stature as it went on. The fact is Kompany's positioning was the reason Messi found space and Demichelis had to react, and he did so. Wasn't a penalty and you can argue that he shouldn't have dived in but he wasn't close enough to pressurise Messi and he had to slide - he didn't do it with the intention of fouling him!

The fact is it came from Navas' poor decision making. He shouldn't have tried to take on the two Barca players in such a tight and stretched area of the pitch. And bad decisions lead to goal at the highest level. Shame but it happened. Demichelis should not be blamed though. The team played well and showed a lot of fighting spirit which was excellent to see.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
He did nothing wrong, again, but he's now not being cut any slack whatsoever by a growing section of City fans who have readily picked up a baton of mis-truths and ill-informed opinions in the wider media.

He is the best of a bad bunch who can pass out of defence and does not treat the ball like a hand grenade.

Laughable moment last night in the space of five minutes. Lescott made an easy pass to a Barca shirt and Pellegrini just shook his head.

Don't think I can agree that he didnothing wrong, for me he should have stayed on his feet and tried to use his strength to put Messi off his shot. Sliding in to try and win the ball was a very low percentage move, and the price of failure (a red card for sure, and he can't have known whether a freekick of penalty would be given) was too high. Even if Messi gets the shot off you've still got the chance that Hart can save it. I don't buy into the myth that starting Demichelis was the wrong call to make, but I do think his judgement on the Messi challenge was in error.

demichelis was bought as a last minute stop gap because of an injury to nastasic , MP now starts him in nearly every game , centre back - midfield etc , he is technically a good player , but both lescott and nastasic are better defenders if MP keeps on picking demechelis it will cost us the premeirship . Kompany and Lescott are easily the best partnership at the moment just hope MP realises this before its too late , demichelis is a liability , and all kompany's good work was undone against barcelona by a stupid foul you would expect a kid like boyota would do (remember the arsenal game) , not an experienced 34 year old argentina international .

Matty said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Laughable moment last night in the space of five minutes. Lescott made an easy pass to a Barca shirt and Pellegrini just shook his head.

Don't think I can agree that he didnothing wrong, for me he should have stayed on his feet and tried to use his strength to put Messi off his shot. Sliding in to try and win the ball was a very low percentage move, and the price of failure (a red card for sure, and he can't have known whether a freekick of penalty would be given) was too high. Even if Messi gets the shot off you've still got the chance that Hart can save it. I don't buy into the myth that starting Demichelis was the wrong call to make, but I do think his judgement on the Messi challenge was in error.

I'm not sure whether those saying he did nothing wrong have ever played the game at any sort of decent standard? This guy is always diving in, probably due to a chronic lack of pace that he fears will leave him exposed if he stays on his feet.

hgblue said:
Matty said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

I'm not sure whether those saying he did nothing wrong have ever played the game at any sort of decent standard? This guy is always diving in, probably due to a chronic lack of pace that he fears will leave him exposed if he stays on his feet.

It's a tactic the the manager employs if you watch the game it's not just MDM

hgblue said:
This guy is always diving in, probably due to a chronic lack of pace that he fears will leave him exposed if he stays on his feet.

Where exactly does this 'chronic lack of pace' myth come from? Even at his grand old age, he's quicker than Lescott & Garcia, and not too much slower than Nasty.

Matty said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Had MD been level with Messi I would agree, but he was playing catch-up and it's very unlikely he could have made any attempt at putting off Messi, other than the challenge he made. We can't honestly believe that DM has the pace to catch Messi and make a clean challenge from the side. If only Messi was that easy to catch. Likewise, if MD doesn't do anything, his team mates and fans will slate him for letting Messi clean through. He's in a no-win situation and does what any other defender would do. This situation happens time and time again in PL matches and the defender usually attempts to at least make a challenge. Nine times out of ten Messi's gonna score from that position.

hgblue said:
Matty said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Demichelis was covering for Kompany's bad positioning. It was the first time 11v11 that a Barca player was able to receive the ball behind our centre backs. Demichelis was as close as he ever was going to be. Messi was only ever going to get further away from him so it was the only time he could pressurise the situation - it wasn't the right decision. But it wasn't a penalty. I don't care who says what, if I grab someones shirt halfway down the pitch but drag them into the box is that a penalty? By Poll's comments it is. The foul was made outside the box and momentum took them into the penalty area as the foul was still being made. If you caught the ball outside the box and walked in the box with it, it isn't a penalty. Simple as. The free kick is given where the contact is first made. Not quite as bad as the penalty Birmingham got for fouling Sun Jihai at St Andrews - if anyone remembers that!

He was brought in at the last minute due to a lack of depth in the position and injuries at the time. He has done a decent job overall, and had a good game last night till the sending off.
But a long term partner for VK is the number one priority for me in the summer. Lescott is a very good defender in the PL but against the very best and the way we are set up to play he is not comfortable with the ball, hence why he is probably going in the summer but he has been a great servant to us. Nastastic the jury is still out for me. But we need a ready made top quality CB for VK next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.