Martin Samuel: The plot to shackle City & Chelsea

Prestwich_Blue said:
tornandfrayed said:
Could anyone (PB maybe) tell us what this is all about. Why do they need a computer system to analyse related party transactions?
It's a load of complete and utter bollocks. "Er what I meant was...no I didn't mean that I really meant...I didn't make myself clear...etc, etc."

First of all, each national association monitors FFP compliance for its member clubs. UEFA can audit their processes and individual clubs but, for us, it's the FA who are primarily responsible for monitoring things.

Second, related party transactions are declared in club accounts under existing accounting standards and the requirements of the Companies Act. So it doesn't need a Cray supercomputer to monitor them.

It's not the hardest thing to set up an Excel template and send it out to each of the PL clubs. Job done.

Thanks. I suspected from your previous posts on FFPR that he was talking crap. Nice to have it confirmed though.

I do wonder whether, after years of using United's power to bully his way through the English game, he might be coming up against people who won't be intimidated so easily.

So Platini has been to meet French lawmakers who want to change the rules in France. This is what the Qatari president of PSG has said ...

“We will keep on investing. It’s necessary to become one of the great European clubs. Other clubs have invested for 20 years. We have been there for a year and a half and now we must stop pouring money? It would be unfair.”

Although they are different men, I don't find it hard to imagine Sheikh Mansour has a similar view.

tornandfrayed said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
tornandfrayed said:
Could anyone (PB maybe) tell us what this is all about. Why do they need a computer system to analyse related party transactions?
It's a load of complete and utter bollocks. "Er what I meant was...no I didn't mean that I really meant...I didn't make myself clear...etc, etc."

First of all, each national association monitors FFP compliance for its member clubs. UEFA can audit their processes and individual clubs but, for us, it's the FA who are primarily responsible for monitoring things.

Second, related party transactions are declared in club accounts under existing accounting standards and the requirements of the Companies Act. So it doesn't need a Cray supercomputer to monitor them.

It's not the hardest thing to set up an Excel template and send it out to each of the PL clubs. Job done.

Thanks. I suspected from your previous posts on FFPR that he was talking crap. Nice to have it confirmed though.

I do wonder whether, after years of using United's power to bully his way through the English game, he might be coming up against people who won't be intimidated so easily.
In life you should always choose your battles carefully. Gill probably knows this but his paymasters have given him little choice, given the particular limitations and difficulties of their business model.

I know we're aiming for full compliance but I wonder if *any* thought has ever been put into telling UEFA where to go (like PSG are) and seeing what happens. There is that whole "players will leave if we aren't in the Champions League" thing but we had Yaya, Silva, Dzeko, Tevez, and others before we even had Champions League football so I'm not sure. And if we did resume our spending and started dominating the league every year, would the Premier League sit back and allow their champions to be excluded from Europe without a fight?

(This may become a moot point if the old boys get domestic FFP passed which would also see us punished at domestic level)

gordondaviesmoustache said:
tornandfrayed said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

In life you should always choose your battles carefully. Gill probably knows this but his paymasters have given him little choice, given the particular limitations and difficulties of their business model.
But Sky, the people who also pay a lot of his club's revenue and are about to fork out a fortune to carry on screening it, don't want some bland, boring, totally predictable competition that viewers switch off in their droves. May 13th was simply the best advert they could ever have had.

Pass this and watch the prem break up within 5 years. At the end of the sky contract plans will have been made by clubs like city, psg etc for a money no object European super league. The sums of money involved will have Madrid and Barcelona drooling.<br /><br />-- Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm --<br /><br />The sound of tumbleweed will echo through the halls of the fa

Re: Martin Samuel: The plot to shackle City & Chelsea

Are these clubs that blind that they cannot see what is going on, I find it all unbelievably idiotic.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
BlueAnorak said:
laserblue said:
David Gill = Chief Executive of Manchester United = Vice Chairman of the FA = Related Party Transaction.
Stammer your way out of that one Gill.

Not that I in any way want to get Gill out of the mire (I don't - he's a sh*t), but being the Devil's advocate for a minute, you could also say that David Bernstein = Former Chairman of Manchester City = Chairman of the FA = Related Party Transaction.

Bernstein hasn't been in situ at City for nine or so years now, whereas Gill is trying to influence policy now against the backdrop of his current roles for united and within the FA.

I would be much less bothered about this from an ethical point of view if, say Maurice Watkins, was to become involved at the FA again, because of the effluxion of time since his active involvement in united. It makes sense for people with executive backgrounds within the game to be involved at the FA, and I very much include senior figures at united in that. Whatever we, as City fans, may think of them as individuals it would be foolish to say their experience wasn't of any value to the FA.

It is the juxtaposition of Gill's role at united, his role within the FA and his lobbying for change which causes me, and I imagine many others, such disquiet.

Exactly.

Oh and effluxion is definitely the word of the day. Good one.

We really are very, very lucky to have the owners we have.
Proving their commitment to the club and community with hard cash.
No bullshit, no big talk, just deeds for all to see.
We're in safe hands, as safe as we're ever gonna get.

BlueMo' said:
We really are very, very lucky to have the owners we have.
Proving their commitment to the club and community with hard cash.
No bullshit, no big talk, just deeds for all to see.
We're in safe hands, as safe as we're ever gonna get.

Bang on the button.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.