Martinez could be set for assistant managers role

not ice cream though, coffee I guess (never understood US culture of drinking coffee while walking, working, driving... here in Bosnia world stops when coffee is ready :)

martinez-henry_2229850b.jpg

If he wants to reach the very top of management it might not be a bad step for him. A way of being exposed to the challenges of managing the very top players (he never played at a particularly high level) and also a way of learning the ropes about CL football without the immediate pressure of potential failure.

You never know, he also might want to take a step back for a while, i get the feeling he had a lot invested emotionally in his Wigan side.

A couple of years learning from a highly experienced coach could be a good way to continue his managerial progression, he's still very young for a manager.

pee dubya said:
If he wants to reach the very top of management it might not be a bad step for him. A way of being exposed to the challenges of managing the very top players (he never played at a particularly high level) and also a way of learning the ropes about CL football without the immediate pressure of potential failure.

You never know, he also might want to take a step back for a while, i get the feeling he had a lot invested emotionally in his Wigan side.

A couple of years learning from a highly experienced coach could be a good way to continue his managerial progression, he's still very young for a manager.

And that is my take on it as well. Laudrup is another excellent choice but it is even less likely with Swansea winning a trophy and being very comfortable in their league position. Martinez had just won the FA Cup, but the way Wigan had been for a couple of seasons it was a matter of time before they got Relegated.

it seems that under the holistic approach, the role of manager will be very different to what we are used to. That being so the role of assistant could also be very different. I have to wonder what the new manager would feel about being presented with a new assistant not of his choosing.
Everything is pure speculation at the mo, but worth discussing anyway, i find Martinez a very personable , charming guy but have doubts over his readiness to take on Europe's big-hitters
Que sera an' all that

MSP said:
not ice cream though, coffee I guess (never understood US culture of drinking coffee while walking, working, driving... here in Bosnia world stops when coffee is ready :)

martinez-henry_2229850b.jpg

Ha, ha. I knew he'd spoken to them but someone clearly didn't like what they heard. Maybe Martinez is a Yankees fan.

As I said, I'm not sure it matters but who rejected who? I thought Rodgers was always their first choice.

Anyhoo, when i was driving home from Reading game, I heard Henry Winter, who has recently spent time with Matrinez, saying on the radio that RM is very ambitious and he was sure that he would leave Wigan this summer.

MSP said:

People don't stop for nothing here in the US - fast food restaurants often have three options now - eat in, take out, or take out to eat in your car. So people sit in the parking lot eating in the car or drive eating... ugh.

/back on topic/ Martinez would be a great addition, don't think he's quite experienced enough for a job like City, so the idea that he'd be number two until he's ready is appealing. However there is no reason why he would do it unless there are no other jobs around.

OB1 said:
Matt the Giant said:
OB1 said:
That would be nice but Martinez is very ambitious so it seems likely that he would want another number 1 position. However, bring in pole position for one of the biggest jobs in world football (a job that should only get bigger) might be more appealing than managing in the Championship; might depend on whether he thinks he can make Everton, for example, something more than also-rans.

The attractions from City's perspective are obvious.

Ambitious enough to turn down Liverpool and continue managing a team which would almost certainly once again face relegation.

Was he actually offered the Liverpool job?

If he did turn them down or the chance to speak to them down, it doesn't mean that he did so because he is not ambitious.

Do you think that he would be happy to be number 2 at City?

That I actually do Obi.
I think a two year wait, to take over one of the biggest clubs in the world, will seem like a fantastic opportunity. And he'll get the chance to work with a very highly respected coach who I'm sure he'll learn a lot from.

I do not for a second think Martinez would reject this opportunity based on status, assistant being a step down from manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.