Martinez could be set for assistant managers role

It will take some convincing but there is an element of truth in it.

Di Matteo took the 'step down' after managing a bigger club than Wigan so it's not impossible. Unlikely if he has suitors but not impossible.

Ray78 said:

I am dubious about the claims on here that Vieira will be a world class manager just because he is being involved with our youth set-up, but you could point out that he only just has got his A-licence. He still needs a UEFA Pro licence to manage a top-level club, and that will take another year or so at least. Also you don't put someone in the EDS manager position if you want them to be upgrading to the first team in under a year. You could argue that the time it takes for Martinez to make his way into the hotseat is the time it would take Vieira to be ready for the assistant spot.

But I think that that is all assuming far too much planning for the future. I'm still skeptical of the stories that say we even have our next manager (after Pellegrini) in mind yet.

Martinez IMO would be making a great long term decision if he was an assistant at any top club with a highly experienced manager. I'd respect that decision if I was a future employer. Shorter but more rounder experience is often better than longer experience from only one perspective.

And from City's perspective it surely would be a masterstroke.

Surely it's too good to be true.

Re: Martinez set for assistant managers role

BlueMo' said:
I doubt he'd want to play second fiddle to anyone.
He's a decent manager in his own right
This

I can't see Martinez playing second fiddle without some guarantees as to future progression and I can't see City giving such guarantees but I do like the idea and Martinez and it is very 'holistic' so you never know.

Falastur said:
Ray78 said:

I am dubious about the claims on here that Vieira will be a world class manager just because he is being involved with our youth set-up, but you could point out that he only just has got his A-licence. He still needs a UEFA Pro licence to manage a top-level club, and that will take another year or so at least. Also you don't put someone in the EDS manager position if you want them to be upgrading to the first team in under a year. You could argue that the time it takes for Martinez to make his way into the hotseat is the time it would take Vieira to be ready for the assistant spot.

But I think that that is all assuming far too much planning for the future. I'm still skeptical of the stories that say we even have our next manager (after Pellegrini) in mind yet.

City is a very attractive club for anyone who has ambition and with the structure we are putting in place it will definitely will appeal to Martinez.

-- Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 pm --

BobKowalski said:
I can't see Martinez playing second fiddle without some guarantees as to future progression and I can't see City giving such guarantees but I do like the idea and Martinez and it is very 'holistic' so you never know.

As LC rightly put Roberto di Matteo took a step backwards when he moved to Chelsea, and look how that panned out. It seems illogical but it might be an excellent career move for Martinez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.