Mateo Kovacic

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a world of difference in goals and assists netwerk Kovacic and Gundogan. Thats’s something we can’t forget when replacing Silky Ilky.
Maybe if we think in terms of Kovacic replacing Bernardo and Jude replacing Gundogan it evens out a little bit.

Jude and Kovacic combined may not be far off the output of Gundo and Bernardo.

Very important to not think about how Kovacic is playing for Chelsea. Its a completely different proposition under Pep. He is very talented technically, there is a lot of scope to grab 10 goals a season.

Jude and Kovacic combined may not be far off the output of Gundo and Bernardo.

Very important to not think about how Kovacic is playing for Chelsea. It’s a completely different proposition under Pep. He is very talented technically, there is a lot of scope to grab 10 goals a season.
Bellingham for Gundogan I agree with.

But Kovacic is in no way a replacement for Bernardo, in style, ability, or output. They are very different players that contribute very different things. Kovacic is never going to be playing RW or AM, for instance.

I have no doubt that Pep will make him a better player and he will perform better than in the current Chelsea team, but asserting that Kovacic is a replacement for Bernardo (or even that combined with Bellingham he will help replace Bernardo’s contributions) is just demonstratively wrong.

Now, if the argument is that we can play in a different way with Kovacic that will allow us to mitigate the loss of what Bernardo gave us, then I can get behind that. That I believe Pep can do.

Think is a very bizarre and potentially poor signing. He's not as good as anyone we have, is injury prone and will be 29 this summer.

Seems a bizarre move.
I think it makes sense if we are in fact not getting Bellingham or if we are getting Bellingham but losing Bernardo/Gundogan and Pep wants to play a different way.

For instance, perhaps Pep thinks we would be a more controlling, productive team with this setup (in possession), with Kev being able to replace Kovacic, Bellingham, or Foden, depending on where Pep thinks we need to exploit the free space in a particular match (or not at all, so we can rest Kev more).

————————————— Eddie —————————————
——— Akanji —————— Dias —————— Ake ————
————————— Stones ——— Rodri —————————
————— Kovacic ————————————————————
————————————————— Bellingham ——————
Foden ———————— Haaland ——————— Grealish

I think it makes sense if we are in fact not getting Bellingham or if we are getting Bellingham but losing Bernardo/Gundogan and Pep wants to play a different way.

For instance, perhaps Pep thinks we would be a more controlling, productive team with this setup (in possession), with Kev being able to replace Kovacic, Bellingham, or Foden, depending on where Pep thinks we need to exploit the free space in a particular match (or not at all, so we can rest Kev more).

————————————— Eddie —————————————
——— Akanji —————— Dias —————— Ake ————
————————— Stones ——— Rodri —————————
————— Kovacic ————————————————————
————————————————— Bellingham ——————
Foden ———————— Haaland ——————— Grealish
I agree with this. Also, Pep is very capable of improving players. Before the summer, how many of you knew of/rated Akanji? Besides, the Croatian midfield was arguably the best one at the world cup, and he was a part of it. I agree with the above setup (assuming we lose Bernie/Gundo, which is likely).

Bellingham for Gundogan I agree with.

But Kovacic is in no way a replacement for Bernardo, in style, ability, or output. They are very different players that contribute very different things. Kovacic is never going to be playing RW or AM, for instance.

I have no doubt that Pep will make him a better player and he will perform better than in the current Chelsea team, but asserting that Kovacic is a replacement for Bernardo (or even that combined with Bellingham he will help replace Bernardo’s contributions) is just demonstratively wrong.

Now, if the argument is that we can play in a different way with Kovacic that will allow us to mitigate the loss of what Bernardo gave us, then I can get behind that. That I believe Pep can do.
Kovacic is an excellent dribbler with great ball retention and workrate who does his best work deep in midfield next to the 6. Great ball carrier. Would fit the role bernardo plays next to Rodri, not quite at that level but nobody in the world is. Probably the best possible candidate that is gettable for us to play in that role if bernardo chooses to leave.

Kovacic is an excellent dribbler with great ball retention and workrate who does his best work deep in midfield next to the 6. Great ball carrier. Would fit the role bernardo plays next to Rodri, not quite at that level but nobody in the world is. Probably the best possible candidate that is gettable for us to play in that role if bernardo chooses to leave.
As I said, they aren’t remotely the same player; eyes (and data for the past three seasons, which I reviewed before responding to your message just to be sure I wasn’t going crazy) confirm this to be true. He can’t fill the same roles as Bernardo has, which extend beyond playing next to Rodri. His versatility map, if you will, only partially overlaps Bernardo’s. If I had some time I would draw one up to illustrate but I think you’ll understand what I mean.

He isn’t a direct replacement for Bernardo (he can’t be). But he could help change our play to make losing Bernardo ultimately a non-factor.

That Pep can do very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.