Mateo Kovacic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gundo and Kalvin might go, with Jude, Kovacic, and (maybe) Veiga coming in.
I hope Perrone gets a chance as well, so let's see how it all plays out.

I don't who can he replace! ? Gundo NO
Bernardo NO. Letting Gundo out on free and getting a potentially inferior and expensive and injury prone option is not good look

As I said, they aren’t remotely the same player; eyes (and data for the past three seasons, which I reviewed before responding to your message just to be sure I wasn’t going crazy) confirm this to be true. He can’t fill the same roles as Bernardo has, which extend beyond playing next to Rodri. His versatility map, if you will, only partially overlaps Bernardo’s. If I had some time I would draw one up to illustrate but I think you’ll understand what I mean.

He isn’t a direct replacement for Bernardo (he can’t be). But he could help change our play to make losing Bernardo ultimately a non-factor.

That Pep can do very well.
Turns out I did have some time to draw one up.

Here is their Effective Role (Versatility) Map, left side is the opposition goal, Bernardo is the blue box and Kovavic is the yellow box.

There is only some overlap, which is the role we both agree Kovacic could play well in a Pep side. But there is a big effective area where he cannot replace Bernardo’s contributions.

1948-A755-05-B1-4-D3-D-AAF2-291475746-ECF.jpg

I don't who can he replace! ? Gundo NO
Bernardo NO. Letting Gundo out on free and getting a potentially inferior and expensive and injury prone option is not good look
“Letting” Gundo out on a free???

It’s Gundo’s choice and he deserves every good thing that comes his way, imho.

I knew he was done when he married his Barbie Doll. No way she was staying here!

Bernie? Not sure how much is about him or his partner, but if he wants to go and a deal can be done, it’s in the best interests of all concerned…except us fans who would love him to stay forever!

“This is football,” as they say, as teams evolve and face change. It’s a young man’s game now, as the game is getting quicker and more technical. Sure, there will always be the rare exception to the rule, but in the rarefied air of the Top 16 in Europe, they really are exceptional players.

Might be interesting to see Doyle & McAteer brought back for the start of next season and Palmer sent out to fill out his game, plus a couple or 3 solid (top?) midfielders to fill out the middle of the park.

Tbh, I’m surprised Phillips hasn’t got a look in as an 8 to relive the pressure on a few players, but Pep clearly hasn’t seen the ball possession he needs to see to make that leap.

Gundo and Bernie are top, top players who will be very, very difficult to replace, but time marches on and Kovacic at €20M is a “snap your hand off” deal!

Last edited:
People get so hung up on replacements being like for like - perhaps Pep sees Kovacic as something different to what we currently have which would benefit the squad?
That is the point of my posts.

“Letting” Gundo out on a free???

It’s Gundo’s choice and he deserves every good thing that comes his way, imho.

I knew he was done when he married his Barbie Doll. No way she was staying here!

Bernie? Not sure how much is about him or his partner, but if he wants to go and a deal can be done, it’s in the best interests of all concerned…except us fans who would love him to stay forever!

“This is football,” as they say, as teams evolve and face change. It’s a young man’s game now, as the game is getting quicker and more technical. Sure, there will always be the rare exception to the rule, but in the rarefied air of the Top 16 in Europe, they really are exceptional players.

Might be interesting to see Doyle & McAteer brought back for the start of next season and Palmer sent out to fill out his game, plus a couple or 3 solid (top?) midfielders to fill out the middle of the park.

Tbh, I’m surprised Phillips hasn’t got a look in as an 8 to relive the pressure on a few players, but Pep clearly hasn’t seen the ball possession he needs to see to make that leap.

Gundo and Bernie are top, top players who will be very, very difficult to replace, but time marches on and Kovacic at €20M is a “snap your hand off” deal!
100% agree about Gundo and Bernardo but not sure about Kovacic although I will say I think he had a great WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.