Mateo Kovacic

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a sheff wed fan who also follows man city, really surprised at this signing, very uninspiring. Fans comment about this being a great signing and trust pep, phillips, gomez and torres have not been great. Watched city lots of times, sometimes the slowness and lack of pace is frustrating. I was hoping to see some injection of that. Time will tell if this is a good signing

View attachment 81444Different playing styles in different teams obviously.
Haters in ruins. Excellent stats, especially his progressive and forward passes. Add to that his ability to glue the ball to his feet, carry it forward, dribble, and he will give us something we don't have. Obviously we are all hoping for some young, Bellinghamesque type signing but as far as established players are concerned, he is perhaps the best value for money signing we could be making right now.

As a sheff wed fan who also follows man city, really surprised at this signing, very uninspiring. Fans comment about this being a great signing and trust pep, phillips, gomez and torres have not been great. Watched city lots of times, sometimes the slowness and lack of pace is frustrating. I was hoping to see some injection of that. Time will tell if this is a good signing

Yeah, we`ve had a shit time over recent years mate..................

View attachment 81444Different playing styles in different teams obviously.

It's a pretty meaningless comparison.

For starters forward passes and progressive passes are eseentially the exact same thing, you've just found one statistic Kovacic is better at and put it on there twice.

Secondly anyone interested in stats knows progressive actions are much easier the deeper you are. That's why the players with the most progressive passes, the most progressive carries and most progressive pass distance are CBs and defensive mids. Rodri has the most on our team. Gross has the most for Brighton, Trippier for Newcastle etc.

Forward pass accuracy? Who cares? KDB has among the lowest passing accuracy in the side because he plays the risky balls that could get goals. They're both identical but it means nothing anyway.

This is what a proper comparison chart, from a company used by PL teams looks like. More relevant statistics, and the distance from the centre is done on percetiles for other midfielders in the league playing that position.

39vpb6v5z3a81.jpg

I like him. I think he’s been Chelsea’s best player for a while. I’m not sure exactly where he’ll play for us but I’m assuming he’s intended to be cover for Rodri. If he does sign I think it signals the end of the road for PhillIps . I’m sorry it hasn’t worked out for him but it’s time to move on.

Welcome and I agree.

Good luck to Sheffield Wednesday. I remember John Sheridan fondly. That sounds like he's dead. :-)

It's a pretty meaningless comparison.

For starters forward passes and progressive passes are eseentially the exact same thing, you've just found one statistic Kovacic is better at and put it on there twice.

Secondly anyone interested in stats knows progressive actions are much easier the deeper you are. That's why the players with the most progressive passes, the most progressive carries and most progressive pass distance are CBs and defensive mids. Rodri has the most on our team. Gross has the most for Brighton, Trippier for Newcastle etc.

Forward pass accuracy? Who cares? KDB has among the lowest passing accuracy in the side because he plays the risky balls that could get goals. They're both identical but it means nothing anyway.

This is what a proper comparison chart, from a company used by PL teams looks like. More relevant statistics, and the distance from the centre is done on percetiles for other midfielders in the league playing that position.

39vpb6v5z3a81.jpg
It was just the one on the app I didn’t make it - obviously not all relevant

The thing is, when you look at our strongest XI:

————————-Ederson————————
Walker——-Stones——Dias————Aké
—————————-Rodri—————————
————de Bruyne——Gündoğan————
Bernardo———Haaland———Grealish

And add-in Laporte, Akanji, Foden, Mahrez and Álvarez.

That is pretty much the most complete team we’ve ever had. Not a single player needs replacing with a better new signing. There is nothing missing from that team.

Plus some of them (Haaland, Alanji, Álvarez) have only just signed for us this season and others (Aké, Grealish) have only just started playing at a high level this season, so as a unit that team will be even better together next season.

But outside those 5 extras, we lack depth. We’ve seen it a few times this season when we’ve relied on the squad (second half v United at home, second half v Leicester at home, and the recent Brighton and Brentford games), we look quite thin on the ground and there’s a huge drop-off from our best to our squad.

Someone like Kovačić would be ideal for actioning that.

Rodri has played 4,296 minutes this season, that’s too much. Especially for someone who goes through the work he does.

The thing is, when you look at our strongest XI:

————————-Ederson————————
Walker——-Stones——Dias————Aké
—————————-Rodri—————————
————de Bruyne——Gündoğan————
Bernardo———Haaland———Grealish

And add-in Laporte, Akanji, Foden, Mahrez and Álvarez.

That is pretty much the most complete team we’ve ever had. Not a single player needs replacing with a better new signing. There is nothing missing from that team.

Plus some of them (Haaland, Alanji, Álvarez) have only just signed for us this season and others (Aké, Grealish) have only just started playing at a high level this season, so as a unit that team will be even better together next season.

But outside those 5 extras, we lack depth. We’ve seen it a few times this season when we’ve relied on the squad (second half v United at home, second half v Leicester at home, and the recent Brighton and Brentford games), we look quite thin on the ground and there’s a huge drop-off from our best to our squad.

Someone like Kovačić would be ideal for actioning that.

Rodri has played 4,296 minutes this season, that’s too much. Especially for someone who goes through the work he does.
I think that's Harley's point also. Or at least what I believe is...

Our best 11-16 players all together don't lack much. Hopefully Kovocic isn't replacing anyone in this bunch.

When we have a lot of the rest in there we lack a few things including pace and drive. Is adding Kovocic that this lot making it much better? I honestly don't know.

We made a huge profit on Torres. Phillips has barely played and will get better. Gomez will improve too and was only cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.