Matheus Nunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does frustrate me that city are so quick to to brag about how much money they have made from selling x,y and z academy products. It just stinks of a very insecure mindset, a desperation to be accepted & admired by the wide football community. We all know that won’t ever happen and the narrative we just spend spend spend will continue.

This transfer window hasn’t gone well and as a result we may just have to suck it up and slightly overpay for Nunes. The market has changed and we will not get worldwide acclaim for refusing to pay above our valuation. Just feels like cutting our nose to spite our face.

As it stands we haven’t got the squad capable of competing for all 4 competitions (which is clearly the clubs aim). An injury to rodri and the season could be similar to the 2019/20 campaign. We have yet another chance to make history by becoming the first side to win 4 prem titles in a row. I just don’t understand why city seemingly are willing to put that achievement in serious jeopardy by hampering pep and weakening the squad.
Do we brag about it? It’s more that we are praised for it rather than us bragging about it.

The market hasn’t changed that much. It was five years ago that Coutinho very dodgiily went to Barcelona for £142m. He was a worth about £40m and went for over £100m over that. It upped the market somewhat but we still got Kovačić, Håland, Álvarez, Akanji, Aké, Rodri, Cancelo and Mahrez all for cheaper than half of Coutinho-to-Barça at the top end and over £125m cheaper at the lower end, after that.

It’s only really Chelsea who are spending stupid money with a few other PL clubs trying to cash-in because of the stupidness of Chelsea, but the rest of football is still generally operating at a reasonable level, including City. There were calls for City to spend £125m on Bellingham on here but he only went to Madrid for £88m in the end.

This season is just one of an ongoing infinite number of future football seasons. Yes, it would be magic to win a fourth PL title in a row and b2b CLs. I’ll be gutted if we don’t, but football carries on forever and City aren’t going anywhere in the near future in terms of being a top club and in five years’ time we will look back on this season (if we don’t achieve what we want) and not really care about it.

Football isn’t about individual seasons, it’s about a long term legacy. Nobody cares about 2019-20 anymore even though we missed out on three PL titles in a row and still hadn’t won the CL and it was only four years ago. It was just one season out of all past seasons, just like this season is just one season out of all future seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the players though:
Rice - decent enough but only worth around £70m, we bid £80m and he went for £105m. Glad we didn’t get him.
Paqueta - not bad but I said back during the World Cup that Brazil wouldn’t do owt in the tournament because their midfield is bobbins and he was the major part of it, only worth around £50m, we bid £70m, WH asking for around £90m. Glad we didn’t get him.
This lad - meh, a bottom half player playing at the quality of a bottom half player, not standing out once last season. worth around £40m even if he performed to a higher standard than he did last season. we’ve put a bid in at £47m which is more than enough but they want £60m and for someone who’ll be a squad player who’s done nothing in 38 PL games to justify that price tag.

I know we really want to win a record fourth PL title in a row and back-to-back CLs, but at what price long term in relation to how much money we have to spend?
We were right to back out of the Koulibaly deal because the price was too high for the actual quality of player and wait 12 months for Dias, we were right to back out of the Kane deal because the price was too high due to his injury record and his age and wait 12 months for Håland… we are right to back out of these deals this Summer because the quality of the players do not match the selling clubs’ valuations. If we have to wait 12 months for another midfielder (hello, Mr Wirtz!), long-term we’ll be right to do so.

The prices this summer are crazy. I can understand the Paqueta move, there's enough in his performances to see how he could fit in with us. Nunes seems a bit raw still. Very good under pressure, very quick, strong on the ball and excellent at driving forwards with it. But his final ball or shot is lacking, and he probably takes a fair bit of coaching to get to where we need him to. For the money quoted I'd expect more, but that's the market. Like you say, if we can get someone for better value next summer we'll probably wait.

Eze was the one that was possibly "best value" and even then he's overpriced. But he is the one I would understand us paying that money for, because of the English factor and he got a good number of goals and assists for Palace last season.

So, we’ve become Barcelona this transfer window. We’ll be constantly pulling levers next.

Chelsea have fucked the market no doubt but our CEO breaking the professional norm by announcing our forecasted turnover for the financial year and how the business brand is growing so quickly probably wasnt to best business idea with regarding transfers etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.